cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Wrongly told I’m using app on too many devices

When I try to watch Sky Documentaries catchup on my Smart TV using Apple TV, I get a message saying I’ve reached the maximum number of simultaneous streams on my account.

It says “to watch NOW TV on this device” (my TV) “stop playback on one of your other devices.”

But I’m not actually streaming any NOW TV programming on any other devices.
My account is set up to stream on my TV, iPad and iPhone but if I’m watching on one, I’m not simultaneously using another.

How do I rectify this problem?

Thanks.

11 REPLIES 11
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Had you been using another device quite recently?

When you stop watching on a device, it can take up to ten minutes for Now to notice this and release that device so you can use a different one.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable
I figured out what happened. I didn't know I had to sign out of one device before accessing NOWTV on a different one. It's all sorted now. Thanks.
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

You don’t have to sign all the way out. But you do have to stop the stream specifically, rather than just closing the app or switching to another app without closing.

If you stop the stream correctly, it sends a message to Now that drops your streams count to zero immediately; otherwise, you have to wait for the Now ‘watchman’ to do his rounds, and notice you are gone before the streams count decrements.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
HB2K

@RoyB This is very helpful to know as this happens to me all the time when switching between my now TV box and mobile. Whenever I exit the now TV box it won't let me switch to mobile for up to 10 minutes. I don't know how to fix this though. There's no way to 'exit' the now TV app using the little old now TV box. 

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@HB2K 

You don’t exit the app, you just exit the stream to get back to the homepage of the app. The FAQ has been updated to cover it nicely.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/managing-my-devices

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Jughead
Advocate

Very helpful, I will try in another 5 minutes.  But this Now business is bloody useless compared to Amazon for the tennis.  The link it gives on the telly to their website doesn't even work.

JohnR

@RoyB Doesn't work for me

RoyB
Legend

@JohnR 

The exact advice from Now is:-

You were recently watching on a different deviceOur system hasn't yet registered that you've stopped watching on the other device.

When you stop watching on your first device, make sure you exit the show or movie you were watching rather than just pressing pause, turning off the TV or closing the app. This will signal that the stream has ended.
If you don't do this, you might need to wait up to 10 minutes before you can start watching on another device.

When you say “doesn’t work for you”, do you mean that even doing as described makes you wait the ten minutes, or do you mean it never comes back?

If the former, read the instructions very carefully, and make sure you are doing exactly what it says.

If the latter, then your sessions count has got corrupted, and you will need to talk to Live Chat to reset it for you:-

The following link leads you to direct contact with Now Live Chat (via a tiny green circle with a v in it, so keep your eyes peeled for that when you have made your initial choices):-

https://help.nowtv.com/article/how-to-contact-now

Avoid ‘Get Help Quicker’ there; the Nowbot, while it means well, doesn’t know its own limitations, and it won’t help you once you get to this stage. Also, don’t choose Request a Refund, as that isn’t what you want, and that will also only deliver you to the Nowbot.

Reginald

@RoyB I’ve tried what you have been saying but Now is full of ######. Why can’t I just ###### watch Barbie with my dog?