cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Will the Now TV app eventually work on pre-2015 TVs?

Will the Now TV app eventually work on pre-2015 TVs?  Mine was bought in 2013.  

56 REPLIES 56
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

Thanks for getting in touch with us.

Are you still experiencing issues with downloading the app?

If so, could you check that your TV is fully updated?

Thanks 🙂

Rob

NOW TV Team 

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Seems to be working now. Must have just been a few days delayed from the other devices.

Thanks 🙂
Nmpnmp
Scholar

• Is there any plan to make the Sky Now TV app available for older models, in this case the F8000 model. I can't believe that there is a technical reason not to allow this, as every other streaming provider has the app on this TV, including Netflix, Amazon video, etc. I have noticed a lot of people have asked this question around the forum, but Sky has been noticeably quiet in responding. I think it would be good for Sky to publish this official position on this matter.

• I understand that there are OS differences between Samsung model years, but this is more a technicality in my opinion, and not a barrier to entry. The only reason that the app is not available on this platform must therefore be commercial. If Samsung/Sky is insisting that the app is only available on newer models, forcing customers to upgrade, I for one will simply move away from both Samsung and Sky instead. I expect many others will do the same.
Simon-J
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Nmpnmp,

Thanks for posting.

While I can't go into too much detail about the process I can tell you that the app would of been tested older versions of the Tv's OS so it's likely the support was started from that particular model range and up to ensure stability and the best quality results, compatibly for older models would of likely meant developing a separate version of the app as they use a different OS.

I can fully understand that this is frustrating but can assure you we never intentionally want customers to miss out.  

The NOW TV box is always a good alternative as it's compatible with a wide range of TVs and for a fairly low price point.

Thanks

Simon

NOW TV Team

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Well I have bought a 2016 model Samsung Smart TV that is a complete waste of time being called smart. I can get Netflix, Amazon and ITV player and that is about it! Repeated searches for information on when NOW TV app will be available either yields "available on certain 2016 models" or "later in 2016". How much later in 2016 are we talking being as we are now in October!?

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User,

Out of interest... What's your TV's exact model number?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

We have a 2014 model. If we get a Now tv Stick will we then be able to watch on our TV? We spent several hours trying to find a way to watch after getting it to watch GOT. Very frustrating. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

We have a 2014 model. If we get a Now tv Stick will we then be able to watch on our TV?

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

You should be fine with a nowtv stick on your 2014 Samsung TV, where you need a spare HDMI port on the TV and an internet connection of 2.5mbps or higher over wifi.

Look at places like Curry's, Argos etc where the NowTV stick with an included voucher pass is currently on sale for £15.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

Within our Supported Devices section we do mention that at the moment we only support the 2015 models of Samsung Smart TV.

Our teams are working on getting an app ready for the 2016 range but I don't have any timescale for this at the moment.

Thanks

Andy