cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Will the Now TV app eventually work on pre-2015 TVs?

Will the Now TV app eventually work on pre-2015 TVs?  Mine was bought in 2013.  

56 REPLIES 56
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Poor show. Should have made it 2013-2014 onwards. Most people are more likely to have a tv of this age. Mines late 2014. Was quite an expensive model as well
BicBasher
Elite

I nearly bought a 2014 Samsung set when it came to upgrading my tv set.  Glad I went with LG, although to be honest, the new Smart Box is a much more powerful beast than a Smart TV app.

Networking Spec - ISP: TalkTalk VDSL2 @ 76mbps | Amazon Fire TV Cube 2nd Gen, Chromecast 3rd Gen WiFi, Motorola Moto G9 (Android 11), Dell PC with Windows 10 Home Edition using Now TV Player.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Really disappointed - bought a new Samsung in 2015. Signed up for Now TV this week - only to discover no app available. Back to Amazon Prime as they retro their app

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Same here, older model. Still Im amazed they finally got their act together and released a Samsung app. 

Another argument against the Smart TV?

Link to full story: Sony Bravia TVs to lose YouTube access

'James O'Malley, writing on the Gizmodo gadget site, said the change proved there was just one rule when it came to buying a smart TV. "Buy a dumb screen, and plug something smart into it," he said.'

Spoiler

"Sony Bravia smart TV sets made in 2012 will no longer be able to show YouTube videos after 30 September.

The devices will not be capable of displaying videos from the site thanks to changes made by YouTube to the way it handles uploads.

As a result, the app for YouTube will be removed from Bravia TVs by the end of this month, Sony said.

Sony has released a list of the 50 models across the range of TV sets that will be affected by the change.

Computer crunch

In a statement posted to its customer support site, Sony said the television sets were not losing access because of a "failure" of the set.

Instead, it said, recent changes made to YouTube "exceed the capability of the TV's hardware".

This is believed to refer to Google's recent decision to start encrypting all connections to its video-sharing site.

Encrypting and decrypting data can be a computationally intensive task that the processors in Bravia sets that handle net-connected functions cannot cope with.

Some owners of affected TV sets have already been reporting seeing error messages or video streams freezing during playback.

The TV sets affected span the range of Bravia devices from smaller sets only 20in (50cm) across to those that span 89in (2.2m) and cost £25,000.

James O'Malley, writing on the Gizmodo gadget site, said the change proved there was just one rule when it came to buying a smart TV.

"Buy a dumb screen, and plug something smart into it," he said.

It was far better to use a Chromecast, Firestick or Apple TV box for smart TV services rather than rely on the in-built capabilities of a TV that are likely to be outpaced by changes in technology in a few years, he said.

In March this year, many smart TV sets lost the ability to use Skype as Microsoft ended support for the app."

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi. You mention on your Samsung list that 2015 Samsung TVs are supported. I have checked a couple of times and I cannot get this app on my 2015 Samsung TV
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User,

What's the exact model number of Samsung television?

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable
UE32J5500AKXXU.

Cheers
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User - try again now and yo ushould be able to download the app

Anonymous User
Not applicable

My Samsung UE48JS8500 Smart TV does not show the NowTV app, although NowTV say it should be available. I have spoken to Samsung who say it is nothing to do with them, and that NowTV have withdrawn the license for them to host the app??? As I have just bought a week's pass to watch the Ryder Cup on the basis that my TV would have it, I am very annoyed.