cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Why is nowtv limited to SD quality on Youview?

I've been using the nowtv movies on youview, and was surprised to see that the service is only in Standard definition (SD). A quick check of compatible devices shows that the service is in HD 720p quality on other platforms. Why then are Youview users only given SD quality streams?

There's no question that Youview is capable of streaming HD up to 1080p ( see Netflix), also BBC streams live and ondemand at 720p 50fps through iplayer and the BBC apps.

As HD streams have been made available on all other nowtv compatible devices, surely nowtv should deliver the same service to its users on the Youview platform? After all we pay the same money to view nowtv movies but are offered an inferior service in return for no good reason.
Why does my money get me less on the Youview platform? Are Youview customers not as valued as those using other platforms?

It would be great to hear from nowtv that a 720p HD service is planned on Youview. At present it seems discrimentary, not good public relations. Surely happy customers are what you should be aiming for?
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous User
Not applicable

The sky store app is HD 720p on Youview. Why is nowtv movies stuck on SD quality? Is there an upgrade planned? There are no rights restrictions ( as with sport and entertainment) to stop movies from being streamed in HD 720p?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

Thanks for getting in touch with us. 

As you mentioned, YouView NOW TV content can only be offered as SD currently. There are no current plans to develop this but it may be something that's explored in future.

I do understand this may not be the ideal method of viewing content for your needs. You may find one of our other supported devices suit this better.

I apologise for any inconvenience it's caused you.

Rob

NOW TV Team

BicBasher
Elite

Worth noting @Anonymous User that the Sky Store app is being removed from YouView on November 30th.

Networking Spec - ISP: TalkTalk VDSL2 @ 76mbps | Amazon Fire TV Cube 2nd Gen, Chromecast 3rd Gen WiFi, Motorola Moto G9 (Android 11), Dell PC with Windows 10 Home Edition using Now TV Player.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Its really poor that NowTV havent upgraded the app on Youview. I recently resubscribed and couldnt remember why I cancelled last time a few years ago. Oh yes, it was the terrible quality - its like every film was recorded on a potato.

NowTV will be left behind by the likes of Netflix. People will wonder what's the point of paying top whack to NowTV when they cant be bothered to invest in their youview subscribers.  You will lose me as a subscriber if you don't start streaming in HD.

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

What else did you expect, if you were watching MASH? 😜

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.