cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Legend 5
Legend 5

Re: Why NOW tv still 720p ? why fake promises of 1080p in media

BT sport is 1080p but not 60fps, on BTs website it states 50fps

https://sport.bt.com/news/bt-sport-large-screen-app-available-to-download-now-S11364336493331

Doesn't take the fact away that the BT sport app on my 55" Samsung 4K TV is far better and smoother than Now TV sports. 

Absolutely @gavs82008 and the same comparing both on my own 55" telly. I'm ok with 720p, although like anyone of course I'd prefer 1080p, it's the framerate needs upping to 50fps on NowTV sports output.

Scholar

There is a major frame rate issue with now tv and no amount of messing about with your tv is going to make a difference, i must have said this about 30 times on here, now tv are not interested in fixing this as there is a satelite business and they dont want to hurt that.

Legend 5
Legend 5

Whilst I would agree with you re Sky and their intention of keeping everything amazing in Sky Q, since the sale of Sky to Comcast I would have to disagree. 

Comcast has openly stated that Now TV is a gem of a product and that they are eager to use the technology to produce their own streaming service for the US. 

I think with Comcast pushing towards streaming in the US they will want the original Now TV market to see an improvement. 

Finally took Now TV long enough but we did get downloads for offline viewing. There is speculation that Now TV will get 5.1 surround sound, option of 4 streams at once, Sports on demand. With trials coming soon I am hoping these are features that will be tested. 

Considering Now TV will be coming to BT TV boxes it makes sense to have this ready in time for the launch.

Of course for the time being UHD content will remain on Sky Q, but with BT Sport willingly bringing HDR content to the app. It will be a matter of time for Now TV to get it also. 

@Tolmie35 

You can greatly improve the look of sports content if you make some adjustments to the input handling NowTV content. It's just a matter of taking the time out to do it properly, unless the TV itself up to the task.

Personally I'd be surprised to see 1080p for the reasons you mention BUT if it were to be a chargeable extra then I could see Sky going down the Full HD route with NowTV content.

In my own personal opinion, and I keep on saying it so apologies in advance, but what we need is definitely 50fps, regardless of whether that's with 720p or 1080p.

@gavs82008 

Totally in agreement with you. I too can't see NowTV being 'sellable' (is there any such word) on the BT Youview platform unless it can match BT's output of 1080p (and surely that also means NowTV going 50fps to make it marketable to BT customers).

Scholar

Hi robert. Im a bit of a av enthusiast, nothing you will do will fix the frame rate issues, its awful, they know this and dont care, id rather they fix the frame rate issue over anything else.

0 Thanks
Expert 3

True @Tolmie35  but it’s pretty much only an issue with sports to my eyes (movies and entertainment look ok). Regardless of that though, the fact remains that many folk (who are not AV enthusiasts) could get some degree of improvement in picture quality just by tweaking their tv settings away from the factory defaults.

Incidentally, I watched some of the Champions League Final on BT Sports (for free via the Apple tv 4k box as I can’t subscribe as there is no method open to me to do so* - missing a trick there, BT!) and I cannot dispute that the picture quality was quite magnificent.

* Live in a house that can’t have a sat dish. BT is not my broadband or mobile provider. Snookered!

0 Thanks
Legend 5
Legend 5

@dr_necessitor even though I do have BT broadband, I don't subscribe to BT sport through BT themselves. 

My EE mobile phone contract which is the old Max Plan allows me to get BT sport casting as an add-on at a monthly cost of £10 (now £15 as Max Plans are no longer an option). 

Best thing with EE is that the BT sport add-on is not a contract at all, so it can be added and cancelled at any time. Which is something I have taken advantage of. 

https://ee.co.uk/entertainment-on-ee/bt-sport

So if you are with EE for your mobile provider you will be able to get the add on to watch on supported devices at a reasonable monthly cost and cancel when you don't need it. 

Scholar

@robert1997 

Yes you are right, I mean 50 fps. I believe 1080p 30fps even look great good. Recent example is tennis on Amazon. My point is they are over priced for 720p then these news coming they about to do 1080p from last one and half years. 

0 Thanks

@Tolmie35 

If you’re an AV enthusiast like you say then join the club as I’ve spent many years working in the AV industry and take great pride in being able to help others with their AV issues etc. Also, as an AV enthusiast you will be aware that you can improve on framerate issues with a decent TV set and a bit of time and patience. Again, I do agree we need 50fps, regardless of it being 720p or 1080p, with 1080p/50ps obviously being the preference of us all.

@dr_necessitor 

Isn’t BT Sport to make its way onto the NowTV platform as part of the cross supply agreement? There is hope for you yet my friend 😀

@RobotKhan 

30fps is just as bad, if not worse, than 60fps. In the Uk it’s 25fps/50fps. There have been tonnes of complaints levelled at Amazon with their use of 30fps for their tennis coverage, so much so they stopped people rating the service a while back.