cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Why NOW tv still 720p ? why fake promises of 1080p in media

Thousands of you still use NOW tv has anybody question, why they still stuck on 720p picture quality where whole streaming world already moved to 1080p at 50 fps atleast, many examples are in front of you BT sports, Netflix, Amazon n Kayo sports (AU) etc . Its utter shame that NOW tv is still do fake promises of 1080p at 50fps since 2018 which i believe not gonna happen till 2020. satellite tv time is our apple tv, smart tv apps are way to watch tv now a days.  Thinking of NOW tv and 720p just makes me frustrated and no official ready to give reply on this. 

24 REPLIES 24
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User 

If you’re an AV enthusiast like you say then join the club as I’ve spent many years working in the AV industry and take great pride in being able to help others with their AV issues etc. Also, as an AV enthusiast you will be aware that you can improve on framerate issues with a decent TV set and a bit of time and patience. Again, I do agree we need 50fps, regardless of it being 720p or 1080p, with 1080p/50ps obviously being the preference of us all.

@dr_necessitor 

Isn’t BT Sport to make its way onto the NowTV platform as part of the cross supply agreement? There is hope for you yet my friend 😀

@Anonymous User 

30fps is just as bad, if not worse, than 60fps. In the Uk it’s 25fps/50fps. There have been tonnes of complaints levelled at Amazon with their use of 30fps for their tennis coverage, so much so they stopped people rating the service a while back.

@Anonymous User  Yes that’s correct but there’s no info yet (as I understand it) as to whether or not BT Sport will be available to NOW TV customers who do not have any customer relationship with BT, whereas the big prize seems to be opening up an easy route for BT customers to get NOW TV. Hopefully it will be flexible both ways, but to date it seems that BT has kept a fairly tight rein on ways to get BT Sport (and there are definitely cracks in that portfolio that are letting a fair few people slip down and be shut out of being a BT Sport subscriber - they miss out too on an extra few quids though I suppose!)

Anonymous User
Not applicable

As £££ is the God of all companies it is unusual that BT keep there Sports channels shuttered unless you are a BT customer, Sky ( stand alone subscription) or Virgin (part of there full house package or stand alone subscription) it is a well known fact that when BTSports launched and they were giving it Free to any BT broadband subscribers they were loosing cash hand over fist.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

You raise a very good point @dr_necessitor I hadn't given any thought to whether BT Sport on NowTV would only be open to BT customers. I think it will be open to anyone buying directly via Sky/NowTV as Sky will be retailing (they have wholesale selling rights on their platforms) the channels so you won't be buying via BT but rather via Sky/NowTV.

On this link https://www.sky.com/help/articles/get-bt-sport-on-sky it states 

Under the agreement, Sky will receive wholesale supply of the BT Sport channels enabling us to offer our customers access to every single match of the Premier League, the UEFA Champions League and Europa League shown on Sky and BT channels through one simple Sky contract.

This will be the first time Sky is able to provide BT Sport to our customers directly as part of a Sky bundle or on a standalone basis and across all Sky platforms, including Sky Go. BT Sport will also be available as an app on NowTV boxes.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

1080 50fps will be way to go for NOW Tv. Extremely annoying people say here if they do 720 50fps even would be fine. No its not fine, it needs to 1080 at 50fps. Please get inspiration from BT sports or Kayo Sports Australia. They have been  delivering 1080p 50fps with charm, I am getting BT sports for free with my broadband. Kayo sports is almost £13 per month. if they can deliver why not NOW tv. It look like they are hiding behind fake news that 1080p streaming is coming  to NOW TV, to borrow more time. Its a humble request to NOW Tv officials please read this consider our request and give official reply on this.  

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

BT sport is 1080p but not 60fps, on BTs website it states 50fps

https://sport.bt.com/news/bt-sport-large-screen-app-available-to-download-now-S11364336493331

Doesn't take the fact away that the BT sport app on my 55" Samsung 4K TV is far better and smoother than Now TV sports. 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Absolutely @gavs82008 and the same comparing both on my own 55" telly. I'm ok with 720p, although like anyone of course I'd prefer 1080p, it's the framerate needs upping to 50fps on NowTV sports output.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

There is a major frame rate issue with now tv and no amount of messing about with your tv is going to make a difference, i must have said this about 30 times on here, now tv are not interested in fixing this as there is a satelite business and they dont want to hurt that.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

Whilst I would agree with you re Sky and their intention of keeping everything amazing in Sky Q, since the sale of Sky to Comcast I would have to disagree. 

Comcast has openly stated that Now TV is a gem of a product and that they are eager to use the technology to produce their own streaming service for the US. 

I think with Comcast pushing towards streaming in the US they will want the original Now TV market to see an improvement. 

Finally took Now TV long enough but we did get downloads for offline viewing. There is speculation that Now TV will get 5.1 surround sound, option of 4 streams at once, Sports on demand. With trials coming soon I am hoping these are features that will be tested. 

Considering Now TV will be coming to BT TV boxes it makes sense to have this ready in time for the launch.

Of course for the time being UHD content will remain on Sky Q, but with BT Sport willingly bringing HDR content to the app. It will be a matter of time for Now TV to get it also. 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User 

You can greatly improve the look of sports content if you make some adjustments to the input handling NowTV content. It's just a matter of taking the time out to do it properly, unless the TV itself up to the task.

Personally I'd be surprised to see 1080p for the reasons you mention BUT if it were to be a chargeable extra then I could see Sky going down the Full HD route with NowTV content.

In my own personal opinion, and I keep on saying it so apologies in advance, but what we need is definitely 50fps, regardless of whether that's with 720p or 1080p.

@gavs82008 

Totally in agreement with you. I too can't see NowTV being 'sellable' (is there any such word) on the BT Youview platform unless it can match BT's output of 1080p (and surely that also means NowTV going 50fps to make it marketable to BT customers).