cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Where is NowTV going?

I have had a Panasonic TV for 5 years and am a BT customer for phone/broadband/TV.

I switched from TalkTalk last October when BT/Sky announced that more Sky channels would be seen on BT. I bought NowTV on an automatic monthly renewal Sports while awaiting this. And waiting still....

Word on BT Community suggests NowTV is the vehicle to be used. as a BT add-on.

I bought a Samsung TV some months ago to watch cricket sitting in my conservatory and this has the full NowTV app downloaded. No need for an aerial so I can also move it next to my Panasonic and watch Premier League football on that while muted Samsung runs Super League as I did last night.

What I do not understand is how NowTV is available on these sets. Both have an app installed. The Panasonic will only sell me movies. Samsung is all singing and dancing, pick it up and move it around no problem.

So the question in my subject line.

Is NowTV an app based product in which case why can I not upgrade the app within Panasonic instead of resorting to Chromecasting through my phone or equipment based in which case why are the sticks allowed to run out of stock!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

The reason being each Television manufacturer runs a different OS smart platform from each other and NowTV will have to develop and build an App to Correspond to the television manufacturers smart platform OS.

It's not as simple has building & developing a single universal NowTV App then pushing this App out to all the different TV brands and devices.

Where i am assuming NowTV has made a commercial decision that both the Samsung & LG smart television platforms would have the NowTV App rolled out on them first with an agreement in place with both Samsung & LG.

I wouldn't be surprised if NowTV are looking at the next Smart TV platform to roll out their App on.

Then if they are my money would be Android TV that works with the Sony & Phillips OS (which is a total guess on my part and i have no evidence to back this up).

I also own a Panasonic Smart TV which runs the FireFox OS, but i am not holding out any hope if the NowTV App will be coming to Panasonic Smart TV platform anytime soon.

I also own a BT Youview box and still awaiting & looking forward to the NowTV sports & entertainment content to be added to the Youview box NowTV App (hopefully sometime this year) though there is still no official release date yet given from either NowTV or BT 😠.

With regards to the NowTV website shop having no stock in the short term available for their NowTV stick, then you can still pick up the stick from various shops or online retailers with the bundled vouchers which works out to be a better deal in my opinion than buying directly from NowTV.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

The reason being each Television manufacturer runs a different OS smart platform from each other and NowTV will have to develop and build an App to Correspond to the television manufacturers smart platform OS.

It's not as simple has building & developing a single universal NowTV App then pushing this App out to all the different TV brands and devices.

Where i am assuming NowTV has made a commercial decision that both the Samsung & LG smart television platforms would have the NowTV App rolled out on them first with an agreement in place with both Samsung & LG.

I wouldn't be surprised if NowTV are looking at the next Smart TV platform to roll out their App on.

Then if they are my money would be Android TV that works with the Sony & Phillips OS (which is a total guess on my part and i have no evidence to back this up).

I also own a Panasonic Smart TV which runs the FireFox OS, but i am not holding out any hope if the NowTV App will be coming to Panasonic Smart TV platform anytime soon.

I also own a BT Youview box and still awaiting & looking forward to the NowTV sports & entertainment content to be added to the Youview box NowTV App (hopefully sometime this year) though there is still no official release date yet given from either NowTV or BT 😠.

With regards to the NowTV website shop having no stock in the short term available for their NowTV stick, then you can still pick up the stick from various shops or online retailers with the bundled vouchers which works out to be a better deal in my opinion than buying directly from NowTV.

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

The ‘movies only’ issue normally implies using NowTV on a YouView box.

Taken with the fact that NowTV do not advertise an app for Panasonic TVs, this makes me think that the app you are watching on your Panasonic TV is actually the one on the connected BT YouView box you almost certainly own.

But if you can buy a Stick, sourced as @schnapps @suggests, and plug this into an HDMI input on your Panny, then this will become as versatile as the Samsung, and you can watch any stream of your choosing (subject to which Passes you are subscribed to, of course) on each of your TVs, simultaneously.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.