cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Viewed episodes

This is on the Apple TV and may be different in other players, but how can one tell if an episode has already been viewed or not?

It may seem trivial, but with lots of series on the go (or even returning after just a few days) it can be hard to remember which episode was last played and hence, what to watch next. Sky themselves make this quite clear on all their boxes I've used, but I can see nothing in the NowTV app that lets you know what has been watched. Are we supposed to maintain a database of everything we watch just so we know where we are?

I'm probably missing something obvious, in which case can someone please enlighten me and explain how to get the app to display what has been viewed?

10 REPLIES 10
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

I don’t know how it works on the Apple TV, but on the Stick, you get ‘Continue watching’ which shows the current episode of any series that you last watched.

This lets you pick up from where you last left off, but is fooled if you go ahead of, or behind, that point.

i.e., no, NowTV doesn’t know what you’ve watched; but it does know where you last left off, which generally comes to the same thing if you watch a series in sequence, and don’t dance about in it.

Have you got ‘Last Watched’ on the Apple TV? Which does seem to be taking longer than HS2 to come to fruition.....

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I cannot find anything like that. Is it offered for that Show or for each Season of a Show. So does it know what Season and what Episode you last watched (and presumably how far through if only part way)? If I go back to the last Episode I was watching, I do get offered to 'resume' where I stopped, but I still have to remember which Episode it was before I get to see that.

Any Apple TV users able to point out anything I'm missing?

I see a lot of posts about still waiting for the Apple TV app, or that it's still in development, so is the one currently available from the Apple TV App store still just a beta version?

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Currently has things stand at the moment the old out dated NowTV App on the Apple TV boxes don't offer the My TV Continue Watching feature to keep track of what content you have been watching on the NowTV service compared to other NowTV supported devices.

I would say the only workaround i can think of (which is not ideal) is to use the NowTV App on a smartphone or tablet to track what shows you have been watching and what season or episode you have reached so far.

Also i believe that when a show leaves NowTV and then returns the My TV Continue Watching feature can not remember where you left off or if you haven't watched a show for over 30 days the show is dropped off your Continue Watching list.

I am not part of the Beta Trial but my guess is that the new NowTV App for ATV when it does eventually go live will feature some form of My TV for Apple TV devices generation 4 or higher.

Not sure about the older generation 3 ATV boxes because when NowTV were looking for trialists to test the Beta App they specified ATV 4 or higher device owners would be considered for the trial only.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ok, that's good to know. Thanks.

Such improvements will be welcome, but in the meantime, it mostly seems to work ok. I must say though that they really need 1080p support and also surround audio and Atmos when available. They have rather fallen behind the other services in this regard.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

With regards to 1080p and 5.1 Surround Sound then if you read certain threads on the forum it's coming down the pipe very soon where it still is in the testing phase.

Again i wasn't invited to the trials which has hacked me off a little considering how much time and effort i spend on here.

With regards to Atmos or HDR then this might be pushing the boat a little too far at the moment for NowTV, where i would have thought Sky would want to keep this (if they have them already ?) for their premium more expensive Sky Q satellite service.

Personally i would be happy with 1080p together with 5.1 DD + with 50fps for Sports.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes, 1080p @Anonymous User fps, 5.1 would be acceptable - for now. I think Sky have a very different perception of what their services are worth compared to the streaming competition. For the same money, Netflix already provide Atmos, Amazon I think also and I would think it's a sure fire bet that AppleTV+ and Disney+ will also provide it and their services will be half the price of Now etc. So looks like Sky may have to think again.

Having just dumped Sky Q, I am currently thoroughly enjoying access to everything through just the Apple TV and all for less money. But I look forward to the new Now app for TV.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hopefully it not to much longer for 1080p and 5.1 surround sound coming to now tv.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Has anyone got any news on this?

nst
Elite

@Anonymous User 

I assume you appreciate that the AppleTV app is over 4 years old with no updates... so thats why that functionality isnt there.

We are simply waiting... and waiting..... and waiting.... for the App to be updated.

There is a whole very long thread on the subject!  We are all impatiently waiting.

TL:DR - the new universal app for AppleTV is developed, and working, and released!.... but only if you are in Ireland or Italy... for reasons that escape all logical explanation the app remains unreleased in the UK so we are stuck with a crappy version that has no functionality whatsoever.