cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update Now TV app for apple TV

Will the Now TV app for Apple TV ever get an update?

The current version is complete rubbish and makes me regret ever getting a Now TV pass.

Unless there is an update my Now TV experience will be very short indeed.

2,755 REPLIES 2,755
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@nst I'm pretty sure that was a reply to my comment  about dialogue in the new series of Westworld being really difficult to hear on NowTV, which might have better if it was in 5.1 and not just stereo.

After seeing Disney+ today the picture quality is just light years ahead of NowTV, even the front end just feels like it has had a lot of money spent on it and it's pretty similar to Netflix, just very pretty and lightning fast.

I'm actually annoyed that we recently watched The Lion King on now TV with the standard 720 resolution, it's amazing in 4k with HDR on Disney+.

Get with it NowTV, you have a long way to catchup. 

nst
Elite

if its of any consolation, I am one of those who took the decision back in December to purchase a NowTV stand-alone box for £20.  I had a suspicion that we might be waiting for the refreshed AppleTV app for some time so this was a stop-gap for me.

I have to say, that given the Boost add-on, the picture quality for NowTV movies and most TV shows (not many on syfy for some reason) is pretty good.

The interface is terrible of course... but it was only a £20 box and I can't expect it to measure up to my box of choice (i.e. Apple TV).

I am looking forward to the updated NowTV app on Apple TV, assuming of course it supports Boost (it had better!)... then I can ditch the truly horrible NowTV box.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
I'm so impressed with the a Disney+ app. Full 4K, Dolby Vision & Dolby
Atmos on brand new content. Full 1080p and 5.1 for slightly older content
and only £5.99 per month for 4 users.

There's no way I'm paying an extra £3 for boost mode. It should be standard
for £8.99. Netflix, Amazon Prime Apple TV Plus+ all offer 1080p and 5.1 as
standard and most importantly for me they all offer subtitles.

NOW TV are behaving like dinosaurs in the streaming sector.
Anonymous User
Not applicable
I couldn’t say it better myself, what a great streaming app and full of great content that’s only going to get better, if they don’t up there game there’s going to be a lot of lost customers, and considering the whole world is going through a bad time at the moment, just think of all the new customers etc that are going to be disappointed with the current out of date app on the Apple TV whilst most of us or on lockdown and looking for things to watch.
nst
Elite

The trouble is, you just cant compare the content on NowTV to that of Disney+.

There is no crossover as far as I can tell - and NowTV's content is more or less unique.

Its not as if you can get the same content that you find on NowTV from another streaming provider in the UK.  You cant.

Therefore there is little incentive to be the best when it comes to the technicalities.

You are correct of course... paying extra for a 'boost' function when everyone else is doing 1080 and 5.1 as standard at that price point is a bit much.  Having said that of course there are those out there who are quite happy with 720 and stereo sound and they are getting it cheaper and not paying for what they dont want or wont use.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

A lot of Sky’s TV content is exclusive I agree, you can get Discovery Channel via TV Player, but that’s about it. 

I get the feeling they are protecting their core satellite business at the moment, but going forwards they know this is doomed. Hence why NowTV exists and they have announced a dish less Sky Q. 

I vote with my feet and binge box sets on a special offer price every 6 months or so. Great value, never paid full price and only pay for a couple of months a year.  My best saving was cancelling Sky itself nearly 10 years ago, saved me a fortune!

Shame most people don’t do this, they’d up their game then. If it was better they’d easily have my money. But they need to work for it, they’re not. 

Vote with your feet!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Also...

I recall an article recently that Comcast have sold their stake in Roku. Comcast own Sky. 

Now I know Sky had a deal with Roku before the Comcast deal. Maybe this Comact / Roku parting is linked. 

If so the exclusivity of their rebadged Roku sticks might end, meaning more development on other platforms.  

Probably not. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I've just signed up for the beta. Hope I get selected. I have only the Entertainment package as I'm not into sports, and I don't want to watch movies at standard def, in stereo when I can find a better option elsewhere. Hopefully this new version will make Now TV a truly viable option for Apple TV users!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

just received the email… i'm in! Giving it the once over now. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable
I had the same and I’m using it now, so much better than before and great improvement, hopefully after we’ve tested it it won’t be long till the official release