Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nst
Expert 3

Re: Update Now TV app for apple TV

@Simonpaddy1 

Not sure why that was such a spoiler 🙂

Anyway, yes the TV app does have its idiosyncrasies..... or better known as bugs.

It does a pretty good job considering the aggregation job it does across multiple content providers different apps but sometimes weird stuff happens.

I find Channel 4 to be the worst offender - sometimes it incorrectly shows the wrong next episode then worst still it seems to reset your viewing and tells you that something 8 seasons ago is your next episode AND for some reason the TV app doesnt allow you to 'mark all episodes as watched'.  Thats a pain.  Ive had to remove shows altogether sometimes and re-add them THEN mark all as watched and sometimes even then it doesnt work.

Must admit ive not seen issues with NOWs content in this way.

0 Thanks
Simonpaddy1
Scholar 2

Thought it was a quote and then couldn’t delete or edit. 

Strange that this issue seems so all over the place. It does make watching box sets difficult, a few times I have started an episode and realised it was a few episodes back from where I actually got to. 

Channel 4 have an annoying habit of highly marking episode numbers - I think the previous series of Taskmaster had a New Year Special episode coded (let’s say) 9101, but then when series 9 started a few weeks later it was coded as 901, 902 etc meaning the whole series never showed up on the Up Next queue automatically. 

0 Thanks
nst
Expert 3

@Simonpaddy1 

Totally.

Its annoying when this happens.  I had the same thing for taskmaster - in the end I just had to remove the series as I was annoyed at the New Years thing appearing over and over.

Just goes to show that its down to the individual companies.  Apples TV app is only as good as the metadata that it is provided with I suppose.

Anyway by and large its a fantastic feature and makes the AppleTV the obvious and unbeatable set top box of choice for me.  Nothing else comes close to that and its the only way Ive been able to cancel SkyQ and forgo any recording functions - there's just no need with the AppleTV TV app. (when it works)

0 Thanks
redchiz1
Expert 3

@nst Wow, quite an endorsement! Does it make tea as well? Perhaps when they drop the price by around two-thirds to compete with other similar plugin devices I might consider it.  🙂

0 Thanks
nst
Expert 3

indeed it is.

Look on it as Sky Glass but for free....

And, if you are in the apple ecosystem and have an iPhone or iPad you already have the TV app and it will do the same for you without needing the AppleTV set top box.

You can use it to keep track of what's on when and what's ready to watch then basically just watch the thing on your tv or main tv and use the iPhone / iPad to mark as watched kindof like ticking it off a list.

0 Thanks
redchiz1
Expert 3

I do use the app on my iPad and iPhone, it is a handy way to find out what's on where. 

IMG_CCBB2AC79142-1.jpeg

0 Thanks
Clem_Dye
Scholar

I’ve stayed away from the whole NowTV app. on Apple TV boxes issue for a while, because it seemed to me that the issues relating to bug fixes and missing 5.1 audio weren’t going to be fixed. Is that still the case? Is 5.1 audio with the Boost pass still MIA?

I don’t live stream anything on the NowTV app. on my LG TV, but do use the Boost option for stuff that I stream via my Entertainment pass. I’m itching to buy an AppleTV box, as it will cover all of my streaming requirements, assuming that the NowTV app. offers 5.1 audio. My guess is that it’s still a pile of junk. Am I right?

0 Thanks
nst
Expert 3

Yep... The App still has issues.  A pile of junk might be a bit of an overstatement to be fair.

The app works as it does across most other platforms with the exception that FF and RW are terribly implemented on the AppleTV.  It is one of the worst apps out there (for the most expensive streaming service!)

And yes, 5.1 is still missing from on demand content in the app an astonishing 14 months after its original release.

0 Thanks
redchiz1
Expert 3

"Most expensive" is always a moot point as unlike the majority of providers NOW have a very flexible pricing policy towards retaining customers. 

0 Thanks
nst
Expert 3

@redchiz1 

You say that.... but today I cancelled my boost pass.  Its a point of  principle now.  They have put it up to £5 now from £3.... whereas I was expecting it to actually vanish when hopefully 5.1 and 1080p was the base level service as it is in most other streaming services but instead they put the price up.

Anyway, ive given them well over a year and still nothing and I refuse to pay £5 and not get 5.1 on my platform of choice.

Ive cancelled twice in the past but they relent and give it to me for £3 so Ive continued but this time its £5 or the highway....  so the highway it is!

Ill keep my eye out and if they ever get 5.1 working on AppleTV app then ill consider it but till then... no.

Of course what this will now mean is that I cancel my movies subscription too.... I only watch a couple a month anyway and I might as well rent the film from iTunes at £4.99 and get it in 4K and ATMOS for that price.  Im sure over the course of the year ill save a fortune doing it that way.

0 Thanks