cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update Now TV app for apple TV

Will the Now TV app for Apple TV ever get an update?

The current version is complete rubbish and makes me regret ever getting a Now TV pass.

Unless there is an update my Now TV experience will be very short indeed.

2,755 REPLIES 2,755
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@dr_necessitor 

Personally speaking I just can’t see any more devices launched and created by Now TV.

Its time that Now TV focus purely on the app itself than waste money on getting new devices created. 

Speaking of Comcast, which launched Peacock TV in the US last year using the same technology as Now TV and they haven’t bothered with a “Peacock TV device”. All they’ve done is launched the app across multiple apps. 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable
But the peacock app is made for TVOS it looks really good on YouTube videos etc, why they can’t just use that and change the logo I will never know, proves they can do it though if they wanted to.
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Sky made a huge investment in Roku, hence the Roku devices. Suspect this has come to an end, doubt we’d see a FireTV rebadged as Amazon generally sells at a loss as they make their money on content.

I can’t see why everyone is so obsessed to give NowTV money for an inferior service. Every other catchup / streaming service is on Apple TV now, they are all better apps than NowTV.

Maybe it’s because I won’t compromise just to watch one service, I don’t like sport, so Netflix and the other free apps give me so much content that I don’t need Sky stuff.

Shame as suspect I am missing some great shows. But even continue watching doesn’t work properly on TvOS, so they may as well have stuck with the old app!
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User 

Sky used own a Stake in ROKU they have since sold

@Anonymous User 

Thanks, I knew they had invested in Roku some years ago - but didn’t know that they had now “uninvested” (so I suppose declining interest in supporting Roku is an obvious consequence of that)

@Anonymous User 
speaking for myself, my “support” of NOW TV is purely to access Sky content but because our current property is not allowed to have a Sky dish installed. It also happens to be the case that we adopted streaming as a preference some years ago anyway

Anonymous User
Not applicable

We are so disappointed by the updated  NowTV app.   AppleTV 4k with latest version of OS. 

Outright bugs:

Often launch to black screen.  Only workaround is rebooting the ATV. 

Poor response to trackpad.  Cursor gets stuck or jumps two or three selections.  Makes the app frustrating to use. 

Can´t find shows. (missing content)

Subtitles stick on.  Work around is cycling the button on-off several times. 

Lack of key Features:

Still  1080p and that only if we pay extra for it. 

Audio

No AppleTV app integration.  (Amazon and BBC iPlayer have it !!)

No voice recognition support.   Key ATV features like ¨What did she just say¨ do not work.  

UI and usablity issues. 

UI does not follow Apple design guidelines. Does not work like other ATV apps.  

Can not scrub or jump in the time line. 

Content poorly organsied.  It is difficult do find anything by browesing. 

Search is awful. 

Hard to get rid of the hidden controls once they pop up.  

Overall the app is frustrating to use. 

I am sooo close to canceling NowTV over this.   

nst
Elite

@Anonymous User 

To be fair, these are all well known deficiencies of the 'new' AppleTV app.

TL;DR - buy a firestick and use the far superior NowTV app on that - its what we are supposed to do.

Back to your points - you have to separate common issues that other badly designed AppleTV apps have from those that are avoidable.

1080p only if we pay for it.. well that's the boost pass for you - but of course the AppleTV app inexplicably doesn't support 1080p.

UI issues... well not all apps are created equally sadly - and in this case they were more intent to shoehorn in their standard app interface rather than tweaking it and customising it for the AppleTV - this is where your issues with scrubbing etc come in.  Some manage good scrubbing, some don't - and this doesn't.

Amazon prime app is also as ropey with the touch pad.  TO make life easier for you just try lightly tapping top/bottom/left/right instead of swiping.

Content hard to search.. well again that's the standard app for NowTV so not a unique issue for AppleTV's version.

The app could be so much better and as many of us have said before here... we were promised much more through the beta trial than we were delivered - TV app compatibility would be so much better but they chose to not deliver that.

Sadly, Amazon's firestick app probably represents the 'pinnacle' of NowTV's interface and usability (such that it is) and platforms like AppleTV seem not to be allowed to be anywhere near as good.

Agreed... implement standard scrubbing, 1080p support, TV app integration and get rid of some bugs and it would be great.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

So today I took the bullet and cancelled.

been waiting for any kind of update on the ATV for years and more and more frustrated. I watch less and less NOWTV not because I don’t like the content but it’s difficult to remember to watch/check for new and not pleasurable experience. Also the fact that it’s in SD it’s crazy.

then add on the fact that with movies and entertainment you pay more than all other streaming services for the lesser quality service and product. Limit on devices in2021 like come on. There just me and wife in my house. We have 2 phones, 2 iPads, 3 TVs..... oh wait now we’re having to choose. Can’t imagine this in an actual family house.

With the impending star coming to Disney+, HBOMax round the corner and clearly SKY know this with the originals being pushed like crazy you’d think they want to retain by providing a decent service. Checked here for update and low and behold nope so I’m done.

will they care probably not but why would I pay for a less enjoyable service, frustrating experience with dwindling content? 🤷 

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Couldnt agree more, it’s madness.

Sent a direct message to the MD of Nowtv last week on linkedin and no reply what so ever, they clearly don’t care, the sooner HBO max comes to the Uk the better, and if rumours are true that Apple are buying MGM and increasing its content on Apple TV +, I think that would be one of the final nails in the coffin for Nowtv with all the other superior better quality streaming platforms out there.