cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Update Now TV app for apple TV

@Morkboy Same here

@Hooba  yes I was also starting to wonder if it's being tested on the quiet because I'm definitely hearing & seeing this on Sky Sports Main Event live channel during the cricket test match

0 Thanks
nst
Expert 3

@dr_necessitor @Morkboy @Hooba 

I dont have a sports pass so cant really join in the fun here...

But something occurs to me...

If this is the same stream live from the same source as the main Sky Sports cricket feed... presumably they dont, or cant strip out the 5.1 soundtrack before its fed simultaneously to the main sky service and to the Now app - therefore mysteriously it just works...

.. begs the question why everything doesn't have the 5.1 stream provided... answer being because its not live and they can fiddle with it as they like.

They've really given the game away here havent they.  The app as is, NO UPDATE, is fully capable of providing a 5.1 soundtrack - this is no surprise..... why therefore is 5.1 being suppressed for the rest of the content and how long until Now suddenly "fix" this.

0 Thanks

Unfortunately I can’t use Xcode to check what’s going on within tv at present - because I upgraded it to a beta of tvOS 15 a few weeks ago, so I can’t use Xcode 12 to connect to it. I need to upgrade Xcode to a next version beta, but haven’t had a chance to do so yet.

0 Thanks
Morkboy
Mentor

also I should add on the programs which have the 5.1 sound (such as the eng v ind test match) the 5.1 sound channels continue through the adverts. Since the adverts are only 2.0 the sound messes up and you can hardly hear them

robboadam31
Mentor

@nst ah that’s interesting. Was just watching Brentford v Arsenal on Main Event channel, and was getting 2.0

Ive just switched it to the Premier League channel and SURPRISE - it’s in 5.1 now.

robboadam31
Mentor

For all the doubters, try the Premier League channel for this evening’s game.

100% I’m getting 5.1 - Sonos is telling me clearly, and I can definitely tell it’s surround sound (and not faked).

I was literally watching the game 5 minutes ago in 2.0 on the Main Event channel (which Sonos confirmed), and I can confirm it’s like night and day.

nst
Expert 3

@robboadam31 

Its not a case of doubting at all.

I have a Sonos system too, and if it says its getting a 5.1 audio feed.. then it is.

As I said earlier... surely its mighty strange that an app that supposedly isn't capable of 5.1 actually... is.

Why aren't NowTV streaming everything in 5.1 through it if its technically capable.

Very curious indeed.

Mcbadger
Advocate

My AV receiver is showing multichannel PCM 5.1 48khz during the cricket. Putting my ear to the rear speakers it’s just crowd mics, commentary coming through centre. 

Hooba
Scholar 3

Still nothing other than 2.0 here. Weird.

0 Thanks

Pleased to see that others are now reporting that they are seeing/hearing/getting DD5.1 - I was beginning to think that my ears (and what the SONOS app was reporting) were deceiving me!

To be honest, I’ve only experienced DD5.1 during live sport (specifically ENG vs IND test matches). Nothing on Entertainment catch up (because it’s all labelled as  Stereo) and I don’t use live Ent. Don’t currently have Cinema so can’t comment on that either. Possibly still being tested on the quiet? No idea though why some are getting it but others are not.