cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Update Now TV app for apple TV

@Hooba So presumably either the Apple tv or the NOW app is doing something to indicate to the Sonos system that it’s getting a DD5.1 audio input when it isn’t? I don’t understand why that would even be happening though!

Hooba
Scholar 3

@dr_necessitor  If you're connecting via optical, then you either have a 3rd gen AppleTV (pre 2015) or are connecting to Sonos from AppleTV 4th gen, to your TV via HMDI, then your TV is connecting to Sonos via optical.

I've no idea how a 3rd gen AppleTV processes audio, so can't help with that. But if you're connecting AppleTV - TV - Sonos, then somewhere along the line, something is telling Sonos its getting a 5.1 signal. But the Now stream to AppleTV is 2.0. All a bit odd ... !

0 Thanks

@Hooba it’s a 4K (but it’s the previous 4K from about 2017 I think as it replaced a 3rd Gen, it’s not the new 4K just released). The Sonos is indeed Optical to TV and 4K is HDMI to TV as you have deduced.

Interestingly, watching Sky Sports Main Event this afternoon, audio was DD5.1 whilst they covered the ENG vs IND Test Match but switched to Stereo 2.0 when they cutover to cover The Hundred match during a rain break at the Test Match. It continued to switch back & forth as the live broadcast switched between the two events. Confirmed by what the Sonos app was reporting and also by my ears. Very strange! So I wonder what’s making the Sonos think the 4K is sending DD5.1 audio to it when apparently the 4K isn’t? Maybe a bug or something, I dunno. All I can report is what I’m seeing in About My System in Sonos app and what I’m hearing. Weird.

0 Thanks
nst
Expert 3

out of interest.  Todays the day I cancelled my Boost subscription.

However, on doing so, they offered another 3 months at £3.

I accepted this ... so will see what the situation is with AppleTV come November.  Again, out of principle I won't pay £5 per month when they won't support 5.1.

Anyone that's paying £5 should cancel and get the revised offer.  Its not worth £5 when services like Disney+ are £8 where Atmos and 4K are standard.

Shminky
Mentor

I just cancelled my boost and had an offer of £1 a month for 3 months

0 Thanks
nst
Expert 3

lucky you!

Only £3 for me.

Still overpriced if you ask me.

I do wonder where Now's business model is headed.  A few years ago Disney+ launched right off the bat with 4K and Atmos - but not a huge amount of content.

Nowadays, Disney+ is the princely amount of £7.99 per month but that includes movies, TV, and STAR- and NO ADS.  Now's offering of Entertainment and Cinema and Boost totalling over £20 per month seems ridiculous considering that's 5.1 and 1080p at best.

You'd have thought they would at least try to compete competitively.  They will have to someday.

Given the current competition - especially Netflix and Disney+ - Now's price for a 5.1 and 1080p TV and Movie package should be £10 per month at most - and boost shouldn't be an option extra at that price either.

0 Thanks
CraigMcC11
Advocate

It is 5.1 on the test match cricket today. With the developer HUD on Sky Sports Main Event it shows:

audio format desc - codec:ec-3 , channels:6, sample rate:48000Hz

average bit rate video:8.07Mbps audio:256.28kbps

When the adverts came on, the channels drops from 6 to 2.

nst
Expert 3

@CraigMcC11 

I believe you.

However... isnt this very curious.

You've seen, on the AppleTV Now app, that it can and does output a 5.1 stream under certain situations.

This begs the very big question.... 

WHY not everything.  

I hate to put my tinfoil hat back on... but my long standing theory just seems more likely to me.  

To recap - 5.1 is hardly difficult - there seems to be NO technical reason whatsoever that an app on AppleTV in 2021 doesn't provide a 5.1 soundtrack.  All the others do and Now's inability to make it happen is deeply suspicious.  It simply cannot be a technical limitation of anything.  They make themselves look incompetent when all the other streaming apps manage 5.1 and have done for years.

But.. I feel the current restriction of 5.1 is an artificial one - the only reason I can fathom is allowing the simultaneously released Firestick app some technical advantage over Apple forcing AppleTV owners to get a Firestick if they wanted 5.1 audio.  Given the 'deal' struck back then between Sky and Amazon to share content which immediately lead to the surprise release of a fully specced and functioning app for the Firestick...  its too coincidental.  This limitation would be for a pre-determined period.  This is why, I think, that this remains unfixed 8 months after release.  How hard can it be?  We've had assurances from Now's help department saying this was being worked on and due for fix 'soon' ever since December 2020.

Remember.... as a beta tester I was assured that 5.1 was coming on release of the app.  I was told this from March 2020 all through the beta period.  It WAS coming and WOULD be included in the final app.... of course when those promises were made im sure that it was true but when the Amazon deal was struck they had to disable the AppleTV app somehow.

Personally I think this is just a case of flicking a switch.... and some content seems to be seeping through the cracks and outputting 5.1 as you have shown.

That switch wont be flicked until Amazon's deal comes to an end and their period of technical superiority will come to an end.  Ive always guessed 1 year and I suspect that after 1 year of functioning without 5.1 the app will miraculously get 'fixed',

Time will tell.

0 Thanks
Hooba
Scholar 3

@CraigMcC11 Showing 2.0 here (on HUD). I assume they're periodicaly testing 5.1 on selected content (presumably with a view to flicking the switch once whatever deal they're cooking up is concluded).  

0 Thanks
Morkboy
Mentor

I have been experiencing 6 channel and 2 channel audio on sky sports on my Apple TV 4K. I have Apple TV 4K > Tv > optical to amp

however say I have the cricket on in 5.1 - when it cuts to adverts which only have 2 channels the app still outputs in 6 channels. Can hardly here a thing on the adverts. 

this lack of 6/2 channel switching also occurs when changing channels from a 6 channel source (like the hundred) to a 2 channel source like the lions highlights. 

I have to close the app and re open it to resolve this problem