cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update Now TV app for apple TV

Will the Now TV app for Apple TV ever get an update?

The current version is complete rubbish and makes me regret ever getting a Now TV pass.

Unless there is an update my Now TV experience will be very short indeed.

2,755 REPLIES 2,755
AlexB83
Scholar 2

The only way things will change with regards to this is if sky start losing subscribers. This is why them having deals with disney, Netflix and bt to get their apps on sky q was essential. 

At the moment sport rights are a huge draw for sky but if they start losing these to Amazon and bt and lose film studio deals then things may change

PoorService84
Scholar

Absolutely right.

I sub to sky and Netflix  independently as I suspect most do and I would imagine the kickback to sky is tiny in comparison to what they lose from movie and ents subs.

Sport is moving, glacially.

They know this and to go back on topic, why are they not upping their game in the streaming world to keep a stranglehold on it?

Let’s come back to this conversation in ten years time, it will be a different landscape, one that they are going to miss out on if they aren’t careful. That is why this thread exists!

AlexB83
Scholar 2

The more they tie subscribers into contracts the more they can spend on tv rights, the more subscribers they can attract. So although I am generalising here I suspect those who really desire all the bells and whistles are more likely to have sky packages. Obviously there are a lot here who want those things as well but I'm not sure the forum regulars here are totally representative of the user base as a whole. I think now tv is trying to strike a balance between enticing new customers and not cannibalising its own business. I'd love to have the full sky experience on my LG TV and Apple TV but I'm also realistic about this prospect

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Couldn't agree more.
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Sky was testing a sky q app in Germany a couple of years back, why not just release that instead
nst
Elite

Sky X, as it was called.... and already released in Australia.. was announced a few years ago here for release... but that release never came.

SkyX is basically full fat sky but with no dish - delivered via the internet.  I guess it is cheaper than SkyQ but more expensive than nowTV.

however.. it all went strangely quiet.  A quick google shows that they abandoned plans to release it in the UK and the announced debut never materialised.

As we have noted before... Sky will always differentiate between products - of course they will - their priority will always be to get as much money as possible and they want as much as they can from people who primarily purchase a sky q subscription.  

NowTV is there to mop up people who want the content but are happy to have a lesser quality and functionality.  Comparing NowTV to its "rivals" it is way behind.  The others are offering Atmos, and 4K.  NowTV can barely manage 1080p and 5.1 (and of course we know the story with AppleTV on that one!)...  I also think NowTV will never offer 4K as that treads on the toes of SkyQ subscribers as 4K seems to be one of its USPs.... and they wouldn't want to cannibalise sales for people who want 4K content and therefore subscribe to the very pricey SkyQ service for it.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hmmm I completed a now TV survey recently asking if I would pay for 4K amongst other questions.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
I complete several surveys during the testing for the new app, they ignored all the responses.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I received a response from trials manager this morning saying what she repeated yesterday that 5.1 will be in a future update.no time frame was given nor was an explanation as to why this wasn’t in the newly released app. So there we have it when you ask the question they don’t answer just that it will be updated in future. I also mentioned that this is false Advertising as we are not getting what we pay for. As @nst mentioned this really does begger belief. Whilst I understand that many people are not bothered about surround sound there are many others who are. I myself am looking out for a sound bar so 5.1 would add to that. A few years back I had a Yamaha AV Receiver and believe me watching sports and movies made a huge Difference. So if anyone wants to contact the trials manager Anne feel free to do so the more that do the better.  t r i a l s m a n a g e r @n o W t v . C o m 

nst
Elite

@Anonymous User 

I applaud your efforts but I do feel that the trials manager is the wrong avenue for your frustration.

The trials manager and trials team are only responsible to getting us, the trialists, to use the software given to them by the development team.

They have no power or influence over what is delivered, and I can only assume they respond to queries as instructed to do so by the development team.  Likewise they feed back to the development team anything that we tell them.

Although we were all given clear information from the trials team that Boost and TV integration would be included on launch... we have to assume that they were told this by the development team and simply passed this information on to us in good faith.

Right now, the trials team are simply repeating the current party line verbatim and there's no point pushing them further as that's all they will give you.  Possibly.. who knows.. they are as frustrated with the situation as we are as they administered the 8 month trial, fielded a large number of queries from us, and made promises to us based on what they were told which turned out to be false.  I imagine they have had a lot of complaints both from trialists and people waiting years for the new app only to be disappointed.

So who best to 'complain' to.  I don't know.   Maybe higher up.  NowTV CEO?  Maybe NowTV's twitter accounts.

Personally I feel quite defeated by the whole thing.  I spent a long time with enthusiasm and trying to help but I was surprised at what was delivered.  I would have 'forgiven' them for rushing out a half baked and feature poor app if they had done so a month or two into the trial... however 8 months in there is no excuse for what we have.  There is also no excuse to rub our noses in it and one week later release a full featured app for Firesticks which is better than what we got on the AppleTV.  There is also no technical reason for omitting 5.1, and no moral justification for charging for a full boost pass and only providing half the features and charging full price.

I have now walked away from the app that I spent so long testing on the AppleTV.  It is simply not fit for (my) purpose and useless to me right now.   I am using the Firestick version which, I suspect, was the plan all along.

What NowTV have against AppleTV users I don't know...... but we have certainly been poorly served by this.

Heres hoping that the app will be fixed much sooner than later.  Im not holding my breath but until full boost support is included it simply is useless to me.