cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update Now TV app for apple TV

Will the Now TV app for Apple TV ever get an update?

The current version is complete rubbish and makes me regret ever getting a Now TV pass.

Unless there is an update my Now TV experience will be very short indeed.

2,755 REPLIES 2,755
nst
Elite

@Anonymous User 

How funny.... I looked at the page here and saw that there were new comments in this thread...

When, however, i saw how many new ones... I knew that something must have finally happened.

Now... lets talk Boost.

Ive been very vocal about it..... and although im still at work and yet to try this myself... IF its true that they have released boost WITHOUT 5.1 then words fail me.... how totally and utterly ridiculous... and ill be telling them that later.

1.  WHY???????

2.  WHY???????????? (OK that needs to be asked twice.....)!   Im mean.. what technical reason could there possibly be.

3.  Are they honestly expecting ANYONE with an AppleTV to actually pay £3 a month for half a service.... how can they support only half boost?  Why not just release it without boost at all.

Im not paying for boost on AppleTV when it only supports 1080 and not 5.1.  Frankly with a good upscaling TV its more important for the sound to be good rather that picture.

Im still gobsmacked at the fact they can put in writing that Boost is supported (BUT NOT 5.1).  so that means Boost IS NOT supported... unless we get it half price of course... do we get a £1.50 tier or even a free upgrade until it works properly?

I hope.. i really hope.. that this is temporary.

As I feared all along.... as happy as I am to see the app released... and it can only get better from now on and it won't hopefully be left to languish in the gutter like the old one... I simply cannot use it with no Boost support.

What a waste of time.

And ill be telling the trials manager this as they promised boost support.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

If you have a 5.1 surround home entertainment system, I don't see why you will not experience 5.1 surround, Apple TV does support this format, up to 7.1 I believe?

Hope this helps. 🙂

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User 

Because NowTV aren't sending the 5.1 signal to the AppleTV box.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@nst 

I'm sorry to say i have fully tested now and i can attest that 5.1 isn't available as I tried it. The only explanation I can possibly think of not enabling it as how the App is set up that you have to select your audio settings and how that is implemented isn't compatible with  how AppleTV works. if they had enabled it by default maybe it would of worked then.

nst
Elite

@Anonymous User 

Glad you've checked this.... ive just emailed the trials manager to ask whats happening.

As, the trialists will know...we were 'promised' that boost would be available at launch and to be honest this is NOT boost.  Not at all.

And, as Ive said all along, with a heavy heart despite spending a lot of effort helping out NowTV with the trial with the reassurance that it would be useable for me... it turns out it is not and frankly a waste of my time.

Good luck to all those who are happy paying for boost on the AppleTV and not getting a 5.1 soundtrack... but that's not me.

Drama aside... they havent lost me as a customer but I simply will have to continue using my TV's built in app rather than keeping all my streaming under one roof i.e. AppleTV.

What a shame.

I can only hope that this is only temporary.  When, of course, ALL the other apps on AppleTV manage not only 4K, but ATMOS sound which is streets ahead of 1080p and Dolby 5.1 which seemingly NowTV can't even manage.

If its a case of "its how they implemented it" then they have implemented it WRONG!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@nst 

I'm honestly a little shocked I expected maybe not to have 50FPS support for Sports streams as they have been having issues with that lately on multiple platforms but I haven't heard of any platforms struggling with 5.1 at all. But like you I can't imagine why 5.1 could be a technical or hardware limitation unless it's a software issue. 

nst
Elite

@Anonymous User 

Shocked describes my feelings too.

I almost feel this is a bit of a wind-up and when I do get home later and download the app ill find it was all a bad dream and its fine!

But I know I won't.

My shock comes from someone thinking its acceptable to actually say that the AppleTV supported Boost.  I mean, they charge more for boost, and to proudly include AppleTV on the list of 'supported' hardware but have the cheek to say NOT 5.1.  well, that's NOT boost is it!!!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I don’t have a Now TV account, but would have subscribed IF it supported the Apple TV app’s ‘Up Next’ feature. 

I can’t understand why I they haven’t when the build process is part of Apple’s SDK. It’s simple to do for developers. 

TBH the app is quite poor. Yes, it looks prettier than the previous version, but navigation is not much better and to not even include simple things like voice search is shoddy. 

It looks as though they’ve gone the easy route of enabling much of the iOS app for Apple TV without thinking of specific tvOS functionality.

Hate to be negative, but I’m honest.

I’ll pass for now. Meh. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Great to see the update I’m pleased they released boost in part as 1080P and 50 FPS was really key for me more so than 5.1 but appreciate everyone’s needs are different.

hopefully 5.1 will follow as well as  full Apple TV up next and integrated search/add to my list 

Positive progress let’s hope we now have momentum...

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Let’s not forget you also get an extra stream with boost!