cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update Now TV app for apple TV

Will the Now TV app for Apple TV ever get an update?

The current version is complete rubbish and makes me regret ever getting a Now TV pass.

Unless there is an update my Now TV experience will be very short indeed.

2,755 REPLIES 2,755
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Exactly @nst people need to reply back to that Emma stating they are cancelling there sub for the reason and the nowtv app. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

To be honest I can’t be bothered, they’ve ignored my direct messages on twitter and they ignore this very long and well viewed thread. 

I posted the screenshot to show I have really terminated my subscription, I’m not fighting for them to take my money. 

I will take my business elsewhere at their expensive, I assume their CEO is of the mindset of the old Tesco one who said on Watchdog that for every unhappy customer that walked out the door, two more walked it.

He didn’t care, look where that got them. Tesco Direct is gone and they are selling off their foreign business. 

Sky / NowTV should be careful as this market is hotting up. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Agree. I was beta tester of new app last year and couldn’t believe they pulled it from TestFlight with zero communication to customers.

I lead engineering on a global basis for a very large software organisation, and am intimately familiar with typical release challenges. However, there is no excuse for total radio silence with customers.  

Like many others, I am voting with my feet. My final pass is for my children and this will be cancelled on March 24th when Disney+ launches in UK.  

Sky have always been terrible at customer communication, and given it is obvious they have not learnt lessons, the rise and mainstream adoption of streaming will end badly for them.  Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+, and (maybe) Apple TV in the future, all offer exceptional customer service, better technology and less restrictions. I may be wrong, but I can’t see how Sky will compete.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User I fully agree with what you said and thanks for your input. It is sad that they can’t communicate with there customers. Like U say Disney will be launching on March 24th and at a reduced rate up until 23/02/20 which will be £49.99 for the year. I certainly will be taking that also there is Netflix Amazon prime etc. 

nst
Elite

As much as I appreciate this... there is something rather unfortunate and Sky are painfully aware of this...

Their output is unique.  They offer Sky1, etc etc SyFy... and Sky Cinema.

If you walk away from Sky, its not as if that content is offered anywhere else cheaper than NowTV do it.  Yes, you can get Sky though Virgin Media.. and elsewhere possibly 

But, the NowTV offering is not really available elsewhere.  Other streaming services like Disney+, Apple+, Netflix, and Amazon all have distinctly unique content...

Sadly in this day and age with all the main broadcasters adopting a "me too" attitude the number of disparate services, subscriptions, and apps are getting more and more and the complexity rises and the cost does too.  One day, a monthly payment to SkyQ of £40 will seem like a bargain when aggregating all the streaming services you will increasingly be compelled to buy.

Of course this does not help one bit with the current problem of NowTV's customer service and communication.  I hope this improves in the future.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Very true, and I think you’re quite right about how we will look back on packaged cost versus the aggregated cost of subscriptions.

In terms of content, Sky/NowTV do have some unique proposition right now.  However, the quality of output on (for example) Netflix vs 5 years ago is night and day different. Given the virtually limitless funds the West Coast tech giants have, I do think it is a matter of time before they have the most desired content.  To a certain extent it’s already happening. Certainly is in my household - my kids for example reach for Netflix before NowTV/Virgin/Sky every time these days.

I fully appreciate everybody will have different views, but the rapid acceleration of subscriber numbers for the likes of Netflix suggests that this is becoming more mainstream.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Of course, there’s a ton of rubbish on the streaming services too. Just like Sky/NowTV/Virgin. 😁

nst
Elite

here's the thing.. and its wonderfully back on topic...

All these streaming services are approaching a point of getting too much.... but they will all do it.... launch their own services until the normal consumer just can't afford to have them all...

At which point, services will become unviable and have to merge or share content.

The AppleTV is, in my opinion, a fantastic box and unique in the way that its TV app aggregates all the content from iPlayer, All4, Demand5, ITV, and Amazon... and presents a unified 'up next' type of function.  Its a real shame that Netflix wont play ball here, and I assume if we ever get to see it.. the updated NowTV app wont either.

However the more we move into a streaming only environment (im all there myself now).. the better solutions there need to be.

AppleTV is the best.. and its the reason why a lot of us in this forum are so keen for that app to be updated!!

Duncaw67
Scholar 3

I agree completely with nst that apple tv is a brilliant streaming box, and all apps on it should be up to date in this day and  age

Every app seems to be really good except the NOW tv app which is passable for sky sports, but very poor for the entertainment channels, as so many have commented on for nearly 4 years

So it's time for the hierarchy at NOW tv

to let their customers know what they are going to do to rectify the poorest streaming app on apple tv 

nst
Elite

As an addendum to what I was just saying...

These streaming services will collapse under their own weight if not careful someday.

And. here's my theory... so Sky allows their channels and content on other platforms such as Virgin Media etc...

I think that at some point.. what we now know as the NowTV service will be supplied through other bigger streaming services like Netflix...  So Netflix become like Virgin Media etc... therefore we would be Netflix customers accessing Sky content.... and the NowTV brand, and app "ecosystem" will die a death.

You only have to look at add-on channels such as StarzPlay - that is available as an add-on to Amazon prime.... NowTV will just become an add-on via a technically superior service.

If NowTV dont put the same effort, and technical resources into their "streaming services" then they will be rapidly eclipsed with the likes of Disney+, AppleTV+, Netflix... who ALL offer technically superior picture and sound.  

When Netflix have been streaming 4K content.. and NowTV have only just launched Boost which is 1080p on a limited number of platforms... you can see where the competencies lie...

And the inability to update a poxy iOS universal app across 1 out of 3 territories without some cloak and dagger drama thats losing subscribers... says it all.