cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update Now TV app for apple TV

Will the Now TV app for Apple TV ever get an update?

The current version is complete rubbish and makes me regret ever getting a Now TV pass.

Unless there is an update my Now TV experience will be very short indeed.

2,755 REPLIES 2,755
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I think Sky's focus has changed. They are now talking about a "future TV platform" which is, most likely, a variant of Sky "X" which is a streaming only platform. Looks like Sky are using their "Q" platform to ready the necessary streaming apps (e.g. just added BBC iPlayer). Once ITV and Channel 4 are in, they will be ready to go. Bye Bye, NOW TV

Anonymous User
Not applicable
It would just be nice to be told what’s going on
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yeh, this is I dunno.. my yearly check-in to see if the Apple TV / Now TV app will ever be updated to start catching up with where everyone else was a few years ago?

I remember someone from NowTV saying last year that they hoped to have 1080p resolution by the end of 2018, here we are at the end of 2019 with no news. Or have I missed anything?

Also unless I totally binge entire shows at once, not having the ability to know which episodes we have already watched is incredibly annoying (lack of MyTV list), we always waste a few minutes starting up episodes to see if we have already watched them (if it's been a while since we last watched). Consumers shouldn't really have to consider if it would be less effort to just torrent Sky TV shows, not pay for this service and enjoy higher resolution.

Simonpaddy1
Scholar 2

Am now in the *really* great position where I have to choose between low quality streaming on the Samsung app, or having to hunt down every new episode on the Apple TV app. 

It shouldn't be this hard to use a service I pay for...

Anonymous User
Not applicable

See this announcement =>

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-is-now-tv-boost

NowTV Boost Pass has now been launched.

1080p & 5.1 Dolby digital surround sound on almost all NowTV channels.

Sky Sports Main Event and Premier League also benefit from 50fps.

You also get to watch on 3 devices at the same time compared to the normal of 2.

My concern is that no where on the supported devices section of this boost pass announcement does it mention Apple TV 4K being either supported or unsupported. It's simply just ignored.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks. You have a few extra characters at the end of your link 🙂 https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-is-now-tv-boost

So finally we get HD, but we have to pay extra for it?! Is it £3 overall, or £3 per pass? That's if this ever becomes available on AppleTV? NowTV just keeps getting less and less attractive.

Also is NowTV not already 5.1? It mentions it here like it's new.

I would love to learn more from their website but their NowBot chat thing hasn't got any info about the Boost feature yet. Nice one.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

It's a flat £3 charge that covers all your passes.

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Pricing as per @Anonymous User 

NowTV without the Boost is 720p and Stereo.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just in case anyone cares I have a few thoughts.

1. Boost pass worked flawlessly with the NowTV Smart Box (not the 4K one) over the weekend. The difference from the '720p' they were giving us before to the true 1080p they're giving us now was clear as day. What was also clear as day was changing from say the Football or Cricket channel (1080p 25fps) to the Main Event channel. The picture is so much better and smoother with 1080p 50fps. Don't think it's quite as good as BT Sport 1080p 50fps but is far far better than what we had before.

2. Boost pass also worked flawlessly on my parents LG TV. It's a shame the 50fps isn't supported for the Main Event and Premier league channels but no biggie. As others have said a nowtv stick can be had for £15.

3. I'll be trying out the results of the boost pass on the Now TV Smart Stick this evening for Aston Villa vs Newcastle.

I think the benefits that comes from the boost pass are very good, and the extra concurrent stream (3 vs 2) is actually really handy as well.

I'm just waiting now for the Apple TV NowTV app to be updated so I can retire the Smart Stick/relocate it to a different room.

What are others thoughts after having had a few days to play around?

Anonymous User
Not applicable
From NOW TV Help on Twitter:
"Hi, more devices will be added but at the minute Apple TV is not supported at the moment. The list of devices at the minute is not the final list :)"

Also when asked what sort of timeframe, the obligatory:
"We'd love to tell you but we don't even have a confirmed ETA as of yet 😕"