cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update Now TV app for apple TV

Will the Now TV app for Apple TV ever get an update?

The current version is complete rubbish and makes me regret ever getting a Now TV pass.

Unless there is an update my Now TV experience will be very short indeed.

2,755 REPLIES 2,755
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

i was but not anymore, i replied with the question when do you think it will be released and i got a message back saying the beta was only for employees and there not sure when the beta will be released for the general public. Rather confised now is it happening or not, the suspense is killing me.

The beta was open to the public. Unfortunately we all had to sign NDAs so can say nothing about it. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Well with any luck it will be released soon and it will bring the much needed improvements.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have only been a Now TV customer for a couple of weeks and I am already considering cancelling. The experience is so poor on Apple TV. So poor. We need this update as a matter of urgency.

I don't know what's in the works but from my experience so far, Now TV really need to take a leaf out of Netflix's book. The Netflix experience is so far ahead it makes Now TV look like complete amateurs. It's a joke.

Continue watching...

Watch again list...

Recently played list...

Add to watch later lists...

Skip intros...

Auto play next episode shortly after credits...

A rating system that then suggests other things you may like...

I believe some of these features are already available for iPhone and iPad. Thats great, but I don't use those devices for watching TV. I use Apple TV around the house.

Another gripe. I did use the iPad the other day to start watching something on Now TV. An advert popped up!!! Seriously. I closed it and put on something else. If I see even one advert more, I will be cancelling. Where are the adverts on Netflix? Oh yeah, there aren't any. Because their revenue is generated through the paid subscriptions. I don't want adverts ever, I just want 100% content. I don't want to watch intros, I don't want to watch credits. Just the content.

And another thing. Why does Now TV limit the number of devices you can link to an account? There is no need. Again, do it how Netflix do it and limit the number of concurrent streams so we don't have to mess about adding and removing devices from an account. And even then they limit how many changes you can make a month! It seems very controlling and intrusive.

Simonpaddy1
Scholar 2

With Apple TVs latest update you can subscribe to channels/services and integrate into the main TV app. NowTV...where are you? Version 1 (2015) is just embarrassing now. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

It would just be nice for someone to actually give us a response rather than just leave us hanging around. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes it’s pretty poor, the Now TV app last update date on Apple Store showing 2015, nearly half a decade , yes  - meanwhile BT Sport app have just updated yesterday now giving catch up and a slick app, to go with the 1080p picture quality.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

The tvOS app is appalling.  Actually, I’d go as far as to say it’s a disgrace.  Genuinely feels like something from a bygone era and it’s shameful that Sky have the temerity to offer it on the platform. 

My ATV 4K is a pleasure to use for all the other services to which I subscribe (Netflix, Amazon, Disney Life and iTunes rented content). Rich user interfaces replete with features common to their apps on other platforms. Dolby Vision + Dolby Atmos content where available, and decent 1080p where it isn’t. 

But for Now TV, tvOS users are stuck with an app that has clearly been abandoned and stream quality way under par compared to the rest of the industry.

Whilst I can get access to a better variant of the app from my webOS TV itself, I have no desire to do so as I don’t use webOS (or indeed even the LG TV remote) for anything else. And even if I were to, it seems to be hamstrung by the same atrocious stream quality versus the other services (I’m guessing it’s 720p? Hello 2009!)

I’ve hung on to Now TV for GoT, but with that coming to a close I’m out. Cancelled the pass just now and ignored the pleading offers for me to stay by offering the service discounted to £3 a month. 

Unlikely anyone at Now TV cares about my little tale of woe, but please take it as intended; feedback from a previously loyal customer on what needs to be done to improve your service.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I honestly wouldn't expect Sky to fix the picture and sound quality issues with Now TV for a long time, not until the satellite business is in serious decline. That's fundamentally the difference between them and Netflix and Amazon, - they're competing with themselves.

The future is clearly streaming, but as with any industry which has been around for a long time, incumbents want to cling onto the past until the bitter end, as change is difficult and costs money. You can see the same mentality in other industries. Take cars for example. Tesla are are automotive equivalent of Netflix, all in on the future and pushing boundaries. Meanwhile you have foot draggers like Ford, Mazda and many others who will cling onto fossil burners for decades to come if they can because their entire business model is built around them. 

As for the app, yes it's a joke but there is a new one in beta. It went into public beta late last year.

Simonpaddy1
Scholar 2

As for the app, yes it's a joke but there is a new one in beta. It went into public beta late last year.’

Unfortunately we’re 9 months out from them soliciting beta testers. In just a few months All4 has launched their app (around December) and then substantially updated it to include functionality with the fairly new Apple TV app.

Overall it’s just frustrating that my most used service is essentially unusable on my favourite device. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable
It’s absolutely ridiculous. Now TV on the Apple TV is a joke. It’s just an embarrassment. Compared to the excellent apps from other companies that don’t even run a subscription service. For an app that was early to the Apple TV they have really fallen behind. Get a move on and give the customers what they deserve!