Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
redchiz1
Expert 3

Re: Update Now TV app for apple TV

@nst wrote:

@redchiz1 

With the greatest of respect... why on earth should we have to operate multiple set top boxes and streaming devices??

AppleTV is the best I have every used.  Thats my subjective opinion sure but im right 🙂 

Because everybody is competing and not everything plays nice with everything else?

Apple TV is clearly not the best device for NOW TV.  🙂

0 Thanks
nst
Expert 3

@redchiz1 

Actually I believe it is.... as most in this particular thread would probably agree as we all have one 🙂 

That said, it ISNT until they fix this annoying 5.1 issue....

Right now the 'best' one is the Firestick app - that has all the bells and whistles and Firestick seems to be NOW's platform of choice as they no longer sell their own branded hardware.

Back to why AppleTV is the best... its all down to the AppleTV TV app, and its integration with streaming services (apart from Netflix) - NOW's integration with the TV app makes the Apple ecosystem hands down the best platform for NOW - especially when you use NOW in conjunction with others like iPlayer, Disney+, Prime Video, All4 etc.....

0 Thanks
RoyB
Legend

@MrZippy 

I know it’s frustrating to be offered promos for features you can’t use on the device showing the promo, but put yourself on Now’s position in trying to prevent this.

Technically, what difficulties might they encounter, and how would you propose overcoming them?

Line 3. Overhead, without any fuss, the stars were going out…..
0 Thanks
MrZippy
Expert 2

1. Lack of coding ability to implement 5.1

2. Not caring about providing a competitive and quality service. 
3. Lack of licences for the specific platform

4. Agreement with other parties to ensure the Apple TV doesn’t offer the full service. 
5. Just don’t want my money. 

0 Thanks
RoyB
Legend

@MrZippy 

Any evidence for (iv)?

That’s quite a serious accusation, and Apple would be down on it like a ton of bricks.

0 Thanks
MrZippy
Expert 2

@RoyB 

Unfortunately not

I remember back when Now TV was on the Apple TV 3 (non tvOS), the apps came through Apple and their criteria must have been high to be included as it was, at the time, the only device that supported 720p for NowTV. 

With the advent of tvOS pretty much anything seems to go, Apple should have enforced some sort of UI requirement as the NowTV app is truly horrendous, plus core functionality like continue watching is unreliable.

It’s like they intentionally don’t want NowTV to be too good, otherwise it would cannibalise their lucrative Sky TV service.   

0 Thanks
RoyB
Legend

@MrZippy 

Yes, I’m sure Sky are very careful not to have Now cannibalise what they offer.

But Sky aren’t just ‘other parties’ and I greatly doubt they would want Apple TV to be any less capable than any other platform that Now is on, with the limitation to HD more than sufficing.

Whereas if the ‘other parties’ included Amazon and its interests in having its FireStick as top Now platform, that would be a whole other kettle of fish.

I’m sure Sky want to see a level playing field for Now, though; just not one up at the level Sky’s playing field is 😛

0 Thanks
nst
Expert 3

@RoyB @MrZippy 

Regardless of all of this, I think that 5.1 and 1080p is a bare minimum that any streaming service in 2015 should be aspiring to let alone 2022.

That said we should take things in context and appreciate the competition.  In the context of the appleTV platform ALL the other streaming services provided at least 5.1 and 1080 (and have done for 10 years already) and in most cases ALSO nowadays Atmos and 4K.

The same competition is also cheaper and the apps they provide are objectively technically better put together than NOW's is.

Take that also with the idea that NOW have a Boost tier which provides 1080p and 5.1 - that service is offered across multiple platforms and there is NO technical reason why they choose not to do this on the AppleTV.  Yes, I said Choose.  I still believe this is a choice.  We the consumer have been badgering them for over a year to fix the appleTV app.  They keep saying its soon.  It never is.  Remember in the summer of 2021 we discovered that Live streams are quite happily 5.1 sound coming from an app that is supposedly not capable (yet) - this is an insult to the customers intelligence.  There is no technical reason why the app can provide Live streams in 5.1 and not on demand content.  To suggest otherwise is ludicrous.  Lets not seek to make excuses for NOW on this one.

Cannibalisation.  Good topic.

NOW will always be the poorer cousin to SkyQ, and latterly Sky Glass (which is itself the future of Sky).  it is aimed at a different audience however they cannot take their eye off the competition and make it too expensive and poor quality compared to Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime etc.  This is however whats happening.  Now is falling behind dramatically.

Also, Sky Glass and cannibalisation is a very interesting point.  As im sure some of us realise that an AppleTV used properly with the AppleTV TV app.... functions the same as the Sky Glass service (but missing Netflix integration sadly).  If anything is capable of stopping customers buying Sky Glass its AppleTV users.  I know for one that I wouldn't use Sky Glass because of the TV app in the Apple ecosystem.

0 Thanks
kiwibloke
Mentor

What we want is an app that works all the time, I have to delete the app, download the app again, log into the app, which only I could do as the app had a apple created password so I have to copy it on my phone and send it to the screen, as it is very long, I have now had to shorten it so when im not here the rest of my family can long on, and this has to be done 3 to 4 times a day, yes a day.

0 Thanks
nst
Expert 3

with respect, @kiwibloke you problem seems very odd indeed.

It appears its almost unique to you which is very unhelpful to say i know.

All I can suggest is to keep up pressure on Now to help and fix the issue.  

At the very least if you ever decide to cancel your subscription be sure to tell them the reason was the crap AppleTV app experience.

0 Thanks