cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update Now TV app for apple TV

Will the Now TV app for Apple TV ever get an update?

The current version is complete rubbish and makes me regret ever getting a Now TV pass.

Unless there is an update my Now TV experience will be very short indeed.

2,755 REPLIES 2,755
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I thought Boost was something they were hoping to add at a later date. Only upgrade they promised for launch was integration with the Apple TV app. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User that is correct. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

The most important thing is to get the new unified app out there so that at least it will get looked at regularly.

The lack of updates to this app has clearly been a political one rather than a technical one. My guess is that Sky are worried about Sky Q and their own boxes being made redundant by the superior and outside of their control, Apple TV. Hence the lack of comparable quality content on other platforms. 

I do think Sky’s thinking is changing though. The move away from bundled Sky satellite packages is accelerating. You can see them now trying to reestablish a packaged entertainment offering through NOW with the addition of more channels and heavy advertising of things like Sky docs. So who knows, the market may overtake them to the point they just have to focus on content and subscriptions a la Netflix and move away from hardware altogether. When they realise this, boost will be essential on all platforms. 

Give it another 4 years or so 😉

nst
Elite

@Anonymous User 

No offence to Sky but they are so far behind the curve and probably always will be.

We are talking about our hopes for, in 2020, NowTV to support the heady heights of 1080p and 5.1 ... this is something that not only have the other UK streaming services been doing for YEARS... but are now well into the next stage supporting Dolby Vision, and 4K and Atmos streams.

Netflix, and Amazon Prime, and Disney+ are all routinely providing 4K atmos content - and we are yearning for NowTV to catch up with a format thats been commonplace for years.  I mean, can you imagine NowTV actually doing 4K movies with Atmos?  

Of course, Sky already do this via Sky Q and of course this also a 'political' issue as im sure that Sky sees NowTV as the 'poor mans' service - therefore we will only get the lower quality table scraps.  The shame of this attitude is that you have to compare NowTV with the other services that are pitched at the same audience... i.e. Netflix, Disney+ and Amazon prime... and in comparison at the price point... NowTV is very much the poor cousin and probably always will be.

At the price... NowTV should long since have been routinely offering 4K / Dolby Vision / Atmos content.... and here we are crossing our fingers and wishing hard for 1080p and 5.1 !

Hooba
Scholar 3

I’ve not seen any Beta testers who’ve reported that it’s been confirmed that Boost will be included in the first public release. I might have missed it though. 

But Now have certainly said they were working to get Boost up and running as part of the Beta. I’m taking the recent bump to 1080 as a good sign. 

Have also seen from Now that the first public release will have full App Tv integration.

nst
Elite

@Hooba 

A couple of us (maybe 3) mentioned it a few weeks back when the 'latest' beta was released.

I asked the question to the trials manager, and so did a few others and were told that boost would be included in the public release.

However, as ive said before... my view is that ill believe things when i see them.  At the moment as I say, boost is essential and i find it hard to accept that they will consider a public release without it.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
@Hooba

With the Apple event next Tuesday and with the release of TVOS 14 hopefully it won’t be to long before they release it.

I will like you believe it when I see it.
Anonymous User
Not applicable
I won’t be holding my breath, there is no reason not to release the updated app. They saw fit to release an older buggier version in Ireland. So bugs really can’t be the reason for the delay.
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Has anyone emailed the trials manager and asked if that tweet was true about the boost before I email myself?
Anonymous User
Not applicable
May as well ask the wall at this point for a factual straight answer.