cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update Now TV app for apple TV

Will the Now TV app for Apple TV ever get an update?

The current version is complete rubbish and makes me regret ever getting a Now TV pass.

Unless there is an update my Now TV experience will be very short indeed.

2,755 REPLIES 2,755
nst
Elite

I find myself wondering the exact same thing.

Deadline for questionnaire almost 3 weeks ago.

Still on Build 1.

I must admit im a bit surprised at the pace and communication.  I think Ill email the trials manager and ask what the situation is and whether we can be expecting another build to test.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Let us know what they say, I think we’re all a bit confused as to why it hasn’t had a second build yet, surely we’ve all reported the same issues and problems
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Well let’s hope we did, I found a new bug last night. There indeed are a lot.
nst
Elite

Will do.  Ive just sent a quick email to them - wouldn't have thought id get a reply until sometime in the week.

Its curious.  Also hard to discuss in generic terms in public here!

I must admit to being surprised at the elapsed time - its been nearly 8 weeks with build 1 and nearly 4 weeks since the first survey.

I really cant comment in ignorance as they might be having problems, covid related staffing issues etc.

The way I see it, im sure they have a handle on all the bugs, and maybe thats it for the betas - maybe we wont get a build 2 - perhaps build 2 is the release version.

If not, and we get another beta to test... I would strap yourselves in for the long haul because it seems like a very slow turnaround and if we have to get through 2/3/4 beta builds then the final version may not be released for months yet.

On the plus side to non-beta testers again keeping things generic..... the new version is night-and-day better than the old one so if you are an appleTV fan and hoping for a 1 box solution to include NowTV it will come.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I agree it’s a night and day difference, but will only be any good if it works correctly. And trust me it has many reproducible issues at the moment, as the Irish app looks the same it must be awful to be a beta tester without knowing for them!

Beta testers note, number one priority here should be identifying and fixing bugs, adding 1080p/5.1 should be a trivial change as generally the Apple TV decodes the content, so is just a case of offering a different stream. Whereas bugs are baked into the code. 

nst
Elite

Again im being careful what im saying here, but I just dont see that this is the same version thats been released elsewhere - it just cant be.

Im fascinated as to why it isnt...because surely thats stable and less buggy - to all intents and purposes it looks like we have a brand new ground-up build in the UK which doesnt share much with the Irish and Italian ones (why, Ive no idea).

I trust you are right about the boost stuff.  Im heartened to know that its been specifically mentioned and therefore enough of the beta testers have made an issue of it to be noted.

And yes, there are many bugs that need fixing in beta 1 - shouldnt be a surprise to anyone though as thats what betas are for.. especially version 1's.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
I was told from the response from the trials manager Email that the second build was delayed as they wanted to go in a new direction, maybe they are adding the boost function etc as a matter of priority and with all the staffing issues around Covid it’s just taking a little longer.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@nstthis app appears identical to the Irish app, which you can view on the Irish App Store. I also made an Irish account and downloaded, although couldn’t test playback functionality as wouldn’t accept a U.K. Nowtv account for login.

Also you can’t believe the Irish app is buggy, yet the current U.K. app is buggy and not been updated since launch!  Seems quite believable to me!  I’d say wasn’t released in the U.K. when they realised all the issues. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am also perplexed why each territory has a different app, obviously we have no idea how it works behind the scenes but why on earth don't they have one app, that serves different content according to the region. Imagine if every country had to have a different version of the Netflix app and they were all slightly different and bugs had to be fixed in each one individually!

That said though, if they do for some reason have to do this, why not update the one in the largest market first so the most customers benefit from it!

nst
Elite

@Anonymous User 

I think its fair to say that this simply cannot be the same app that is already released elsewhere.

It s a mystery why it isnt, but with the current level of bugs it just cant be,

Again with the current level of bugs I cant even see how the Irish app could have been a bed for this UK one.

It very much feels like an early beta right now.

Although id say its certainly "functional" of course otherwise we couldn't be testing it... its certainly not working satisfactorily.  But again this is beta 1 - what can we expect.

The comment about the "different direction" is intriguing.  Again i'll bang on about boost.... IT MUST BE INCLUDED in 2020!!  its cannot be left off.  It would be so ridiculous on a technologically superior platform where the current users of an AppleTV already enjoy Netflix, Amazon, and Disney+ in 4K.... to have the NowTV app (a more expensive service than the others) re-launching an app on the platform that is only 720p content including flagship movies etc.... its just is embarrassing.

Id have hoped that Boost was a no-brainer for the development team - I was shocked to see it not supported in the first beta as i just assumed it was taken as read that it would be there.

I know that a lot of the testers gave them a hard time about no Boost - me included.... they certainly have got that message.

If this 'new direction' is necessary to support Boost then fine.... great.  I am feeling like a lot of us are being left in the dark though.  This 'new direction' should be made clear to us in some kind of regular email update so we know what to expect in terms of timeframe.  You wouldn't want to lose the enthusiasm and momentum of the testers.  This will happen.