cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update Now TV app for apple TV

Will the Now TV app for Apple TV ever get an update?

The current version is complete rubbish and makes me regret ever getting a Now TV pass.

Unless there is an update my Now TV experience will be very short indeed.

2,755 REPLIES 2,755
Anonymous User
Not applicable

To those complaining that they shouldn't have to pay for boost, that it should be standard... Do remember that the basic Netflix plan is standard def only. There is a considerable additional cost to the platform in streaming full HD content at a high bit rate. Making this standard would almost certainly lead to a higher cost for each of the passes. It's a perfectly sensible business practice to give the customers the choice. Some people are only paying to watch programmes on mobile devices, and won't want the data cost associated with streaming full HD, and some customers only want to watch content that isn't available in HD anyway!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

At moment with Boost still being limited on devices it seems right to have a separate pass for it. I think it perfectly reasonable to pay £3 extra for 1080p instead of 720p and the increase in FPS for sports events [well when they return].

Anonymous User
Not applicable
I also want 5.1 sound & like you say it's a standard feature with Netflix,
Amazon, Disney+ and ATV+. Disney plus and Apple TV plus even offer Dolby
Vision and Atmos sound. I don't know why NowTV think they are anything
special when they have so much competition

I refuse to watch a film without a 5.1 sound which means I've cancelled my
cinema pass. That means NowTV have lost a paying customer.

ase type your reply above this line -##
nst
Elite

@Anonymous User I assume you are an exclusive AppleTV user then.

Im surprised you held out as long as you did with the current appalling app we have to put up with!

I agree with what you say in that 5.1 is important, and also decent picture quality.

Boost, therefore is essential of course.

Its interesting to see other comments on the subject, especially with regards to charging extra.  Although on one side of the argument it could be absorbed into the other passes, and not charged extra for... on the other side there are indeed customers out there who do not want the 5.1 and 1080p depending on what they are watching, and what device they are watching it on.  That being said I suppose it isnt such a bad thing to have it an 'optional extra' to those that want it but not for those that dont.

Boost is therefore an essential addition to the updated AppleTV app!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Maybe I’m in the minority here but I’ve never owned a 5.1 home system so that’s never bothered me too much at all. 

nst
Elite

Well good for you 🙂

Seeing as its been commonplace for the last 30 years or so its fair to expect that in 2020 5.1 is supported as standard though as a lot of us could make use of it.

But, you are a decent example of someone who doesnt want it, and therefore opts not to pay for Boost so you are happy that the service is cheaper with the option of not having 5.1.

That being said.. im sure that you have a 'Full HD' TV as a minimum so the other aspect of boost, i.e. a significantly better picture quality, might actually be of interest to you.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am actually more interested in boost for the fps boost on sport.

25 to 50 fps is absolutely massive. It's a clear night and day benefit and needs to be included on the atv app.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I've just bought the Apple 4k device. I wanted one device to stream everything and provide 4k and Atmos where appropriate. I was using the Xbox one for this, but the Netflix app has started refusing to play Atmos titles following an update, so I went for my first Apple device ever to solve my problems.

Everything else works pretty well, the Amazon prime app is actually better than the prime 4k stick, but I'm staggered that the Now TV app is so incredibly poor still. 

The worst thing of all, my now tv favourites are not available! No 'continue watching' section! 

Absolute deal breaker, makes it completely worthless if you watch a lot of now tv box sets.

Any news on an update at least fixing this aspect?

nst
Elite

@Anonymous User You have made the right decision, but a tiny bit prematurely. 

They do say... research, research, research!.. and as you can see there’s a lot of chatter around the NowTV AppleTV app in here.  You would have know before buying that the current NowTV app is appalling there.

TD;DR - the CURRENT AppleTV app for the AppleTV is RUBBISH.... and 4.5 years old... its been sorely neglected for a long time.

That being said... you HAVE made the right choice in streaming box!! Seriously. The AppleTV is in my opinion unparalleled when it comes to quality, and functionality - and as Ive said many times the  TV app which aggregates content and up next across a number Of (though not all sadly) streaming apps is worth it on its own.

Take comfort in the fact that a lot of people share your experience though some of us have been suffering for years.... and also that currently NowTV are beta trialing a long awaited replacement that should solve your issues.   We do not know when this will be made generally available so until that point, yes you are stuck with the terrible app.

However, I can suggest something that will tide you over in terms of a watch next function.  What you need to do is download the NowTV app on whatever mobile device you have be it an iPad, IPhone, or android device.  Sign into your account on that device but DONT ever be tempted to play content unless you want that Device to take up one of your device slots (you might want to who knows).  Anyway, on the other device you can create your watchlist... and use the device to check up on what’s waiting for you to watch etc... THEN you go to the horrible AppleTV app and simply search for that show and you’ll find the latest episode ready for you .

YES, its a pain..... but dont let that put you off the AppleTV - remember the new app is coming so just be patient and work around things for the time being.

nst
Elite

Interesting to see a number of other threads, some being resurrected from years ago appearing lately all to do with aspects of the appalling (current) appleTV app.

There is a huge demand for this to be updated.

As someone who is participating in the Beta, it would be nice to have a thread where we could discuss various things about it, but I suppose we cant do that in public.

I must admit, giving nothing away of course, im surprised with a couple of things mostly down to the fact that things dont seem to be progressing.  Now, I know of course the Covid-19 situation may well be impacting the development resources at NowTV....  however when the app was released to us 4 weeks ago, we were told there would be a survey the following week.  This has yet to happen and apparently there are a number of issues flagged up that are taking a while to sift through.

My concerns are based on the stories of the last beta in the Summer of 2019 which apparently only had one build which just eventually expired then disappeared (but perhaps was released to Ireland and Italy?).... and also that we are long past the time when this app is essential for an update.... it must be done soon i feel.

If anyone official is reading this... we, your beta testers, are very keen to help, and keep things moving and assisting in getting this released as soon as possible... thats why we volunteered!  It would be nice to have an update.  I imagine most of us have dutifully reported bugs and issues etc but have pretty much stopped doing so now until we get some feedback and a revised build to re-test.  Please lets not lose momentum.  Oh, and p.s. as I dont seem to be able to post here without mentioning it,.... PLEASE include boost support in this app!!