cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update Now TV app for apple TV

Will the Now TV app for Apple TV ever get an update?

The current version is complete rubbish and makes me regret ever getting a Now TV pass.

Unless there is an update my Now TV experience will be very short indeed.

2,755 REPLIES 2,755
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Oddly, the LG GX soundbar with our LG GX TV does support DTS, right up to DTS-X, even though the TV doesn’t.

And it also claims to support Dolby Atmos, though Rtings claim it downmixes it to stereo, which would be very odd. And is not borne out by my listening to it critically, though it is certainly true that this soundbar has no upward firing speakers,

eARC certainly isn’t the way to go here, either; if I play Tenet from my Panasonic UHD player, audio and video both into an HDMI input on the TV, it entirely declines to push the DTS audio track to the eARC output; it looks like even bitstream audio passthrough needs DTS support on the TV for this to happen.

I have things set up so that video goes to the TV and audio straight to the DTS-supporting soundbar though, so the above doesn’t affect me day to day, but I thought I would try it for the purposes of this thread; no go.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
nst
Elite

@Anonymous User 

I assume you are an appleTV owner as you are in this thread ...

Have you tried the TV app?  It really is the sky glass experience with the added benefit that its free.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@nst 

Yes i do use the TV app but i would like be able to easily watch more TV channels then i currently can have full tv guide access and be able to watch Sky Sports in 4K plus additional channels that we simply don't get on Freeview or Now.

I agree the Apple TV is very good and i will certainly use it might be moved to my second TV and used for Sky Go will look at pricing for Sky Go access when i get a Sky Glass standalone puck later this year.

nst
Elite

Thats interesting.

I do hope that they keep the pricing reasonable, and also that you can purchase as many pucks as you like for as many TVs as you like and the watchlist synchronises across those devices - without charing more for each connected puck.

I appreciate that using Apple TV TV app you are of course missing a TV guide etc but ive rarely watched live TV over the last 10 years or so and therefore the broadcast schedules are of little interest to me.  I do of course keep an eye on new series that are starting so I can add them to my AppleTV watchlist and then hopefully forever more I am notified when new episodes are available although this isn't really foolproof its a lot better than nothing.

I would be interested in Glass.. or the puck version at least - but to me its costing too much still....

£26 a month minimum - thats for basically the NOW £9.99 entertainment package (more or less) but including SD Netflix which lets face it you'd not want in SD surely.  Add movies and its £11 a month.

Sure, NOW's Entertainment, Movies, and Boost comes to £25 a month but the equivalent Glass sub for the same in HD (4K even) is £37.

Add to that the ability to stop cinema, entertainment, boost month on month and NOW is still the cheaper but lower quality option of course.

Then of course you have the new Virgin Media Stream....

one off purchase of the box.. (£35) then :

£12 per month Entertainment HD (Sky). £15 Cinema HD

So actually thats much cheaper than Sky Glass - £27 a month for entertainment and movies in HD.  Still just ahead of NOW but equally as cancellable month on month.

Things are really interesting lately...  I do wonder now the future that NOW has... yes its aimed at a slight different audience but the lines are significantly blurring now between services.

Hooba
Scholar 3

So the SkyGo app is now available on TestFlight. And it appears that SkyGo an AppleTV is 720p maximum. Incredible. 

Maybe they think users will just be grateful its in colour rather than black and white.

Popeye13
Scholar 2

To be fair, SkyGo on the XBOX & PlayStation has only ever been 720p, along with the desktop version too. They were hardly going to go full HD just for Apple TV because the outcry from XBOX and PlayStation users would be loud

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Popeye13 

But Sky would have a legit answer to that part of the deal with Apple if they had done 1080p for Sky Go on Apple TV.

Not entirely surprised it’s 720p to be honest as it might of been to competitive to a Puck on Sky Glass else. How Sky think these days. 

But the final nail was put in Sky’s Coffin today of being the dominant force in U.K. PayTV. With the BT Sports/Warner Discovery deal finalised soon as the HBO deal expires with Sky they will be in a pickle and come the next premier league tv rights.  

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Re the BT Sports/Warner Brothers Discovery deal, I wonder if we will get some updated information on that today?

https://www.bt.com/about/investors/financial-reporting-and-news

https://www.bt.com/about/investors/financial-reporting-and-news/results-events-and-financial-calendar/2021-22#fy22-results

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@gavs82008 

We have it’s finalised just waiting on regulatory approval to finalise it now 

https://newsroom.bt.com/bt-group-and-warner-bros-discovery-agree-to-form-new-premium-sports-joint-ve...

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

This is going to be a game changer and very interested to see how pricing works out. 

Already subscribe to Discovery+ without the sports, but would seriously consider getting the sports side if it's priced reasonably.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help