cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update Now TV app for apple TV

Will the Now TV app for Apple TV ever get an update?

The current version is complete rubbish and makes me regret ever getting a Now TV pass.

Unless there is an update my Now TV experience will be very short indeed.

2,755 REPLIES 2,755
Anonymous User
Not applicable
My NowTV box regularly locks-up, needing a power recycle to clear the problem. Moreover, it doesn’t seem to synchronise my account, so that stuff that I’m watching via my LG TV doesn’t show up on the box. It seems very picky on the HDMI settings too. It’s a flaky product, in my opinion, which could be why (in part) Sky stopped selling it.

Clem
RoyB
Legend

@nst 

I want a cheaper service, and I’ve got a dish (or at least a satellite link plumbed into the house which comes to the same thing, over which I can get Freesat, and could get Sky Q if I wanted it, which I don’t). And I also want flexibility, which Now offers, and Sky Q doesn’t.

But I would like Now in 4K, and would be prepared to pay extra for it. (We watched Dune last weekend, and were blown away by it, so much so that we sent off for the UHD disc, so we can watch it again without the limitations of HD (where the spice gets a bit lost) and with better audio too).

And we aren’t interested in a Sky Glass TV, as it is no match for our LG GX setup, thank you.

But all the above makes us a prime target for Sky Glass via the Puck, if Sky set the deal up right.

If. So we await further details of the Puck arrangements with interest. If Sky can tempt us across, then maybe this deal will be one that starts impacting Now. Depending on how many Now members are like us, looking for a little more,

But if Sky can’t tempt us over, then I’d judge that Now is safe for the near future, until the next threat comes along. Which isn’t going to be the Virgin box, even if that becomes available on other ISPs.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

You should not confuse devices made for Now by Roku, especially old ones, with the current Roku range of devices actually badged Roku.

You could practically heat a room with a NowTV Stick, whereas the parallel Roku device only ever got slightly warm. What was that about, then?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.

@RoyB I suspect it was the result of making a product using a severly cut down version of the hardware and/or operating system! All of the genuine Roku branded hardware that I’ve ever owned over the years has never had overheating problems. Maybe the odd other problem but not overheating.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
My NowTV/Roku box is the puck type, with an Ethernet connection. Just why Roku only produces kit with only wi-fi connection seems pretty rubbish to me. Sure, it might keep costs down, but not everyone can get a good enough wi-fi signal for decent streaming. As always, it’s manufacturers giving us what they want to give us, rather than what we actually want, witness Sky/NowTV not bothering to fix the NowTV app. on ATV kit for 5.1 audio. Pathetic. Unfortunately, it’s a captive market. If you want access to ‘X’, then you have to take what’s available, which then confirms that the manufacturing decisions were correct. A self-fulfilling prophecy.

Another example of customers not getting what they actually might want is the support of DTS codecs on new TVs. It's Dolby or nothing. Why position your products as HDMI switching centres, only to not support a widely-used codec? I find it odd that the likes of LG and Panasonic still produce players that handle DTS, yet their TVs won’t pass it through. Only Sony seems to be supporting DTS at present. The argument that eARC is the way to go is probably correct in the longer term, but there’s an awful lot of kit out there that doesn’t support it. There’s plenty of other stuff on my list of annoyances, such as sound bars without any HDMI connections.

I can’t see Sky/Now fixing the audio issue on ATV kit, and, as others have commented, I think that the writing’s on the wall for the NowTV service. Like many people, I don’t want to subscribe to Sky. NowTV with the Boost pass is a reasonable way of getting access to the few shows that Sky carry that my wife & I want to see, without the umpteen commercial breaks that Sky inflict on paying customers. It’s that very reason why I stopped subscribing many years ago. I’m paying to watch programmes, not commercials. A case in point: one show that we watch on Now has an average episode length of 39 minutes; on Sky it’s an hour, that’s 21 minutes of ads. If Sky’s long term plan is to ‘force’ NowTV subscribers to use its new streaming service, where ads. can’t be avoided, I certainly won’t be bothering.

Agree with the comments by @RoyB really.

We had a dish at our previous house until we moved here nearly 4 years ago, but literally not permitted to have a dish at this house even if we wanted one!

Luckily we don’t want one, mainly because we were early adopters of streaming (and consequently abandoning recording stuff) & no longer need a myriad of devices and cables under/behind the telly.

We do still have an aerial (which has to be inside the loft but works fine - except when the transmitter burned down last summer of course).

I see the recent releases of Sky Glass and the Virgin box as realisation by the broadcasters that streaming is here to stay, dare I say even “it’s the future”.

And so I suppose folk like us are the natural initial target market. Until such time as ultrafast broadband is pervasive and as cheap as superfast is today, at which point more people might see the attraction of ditching the dish. Maybe some sort of cloud based PVR might also help persuade those who are reluctant to relinquish Sky Q to make the leap?

nst
Elite

@RoyB 

I am in the same position... I have a dish.. .I used to be a SkyQ customer.. but am no longer... just a NOW user.

I have to say... im assuming you already know this as you are contributing to the AppleTV thread... but in my opinion Sky Glass is simply a rip-off of the Apple TV "TV" app....

Thee TV app is fantastic.. ive said this before but it alone is the reason why I was able to forgo SkyQ and any type of recording facility which I had relied upon for the last 30 years+

Following a TV show, watching on streaming apps, and having the TV app aggregate content from everywhere (apart from Netflix - boo) and showing you when a new episode is ready to watch is great... really great....  and surprise surprise thats exactly what the Sky Glass experience is... just a copy of the TV app.

Where the TV app is superior to Sky Glass is that it is available and syncs across all your Apple devices so if you have an iPhone and iPad your 'record queue' for want of a better phrase is available everywhere... that is so much better than Sky Glass.

In days gone by.. or if Apple didnt have the TV app then I would be the same.... ignoring the Sky Glass service with TV as I already have a very nice one thanks.... but very interested in the stand alone puck coming this summer (or even the surprise Virgin Media stream service that just launched this week).

The trouble is.. and the reason we are all here watching NOW, is that the SkyGlass service and Virgin Stream is still far more expensive than NOW - although granted in better quality reaching 4K of course where NOW will never be.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Does anything you watch on now tv on apple appear in apples up next rail??

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@RoyB 

I am in a similar situation to you I would already be on Sky Glass if it was standalone already I expect as it's the service i've been wanting for years. I live in a odd situation where I can get fibre internet but not Virgin or a Satellite dish so never been able have a fully PayTV experience. I await for the price of the puck eagerly if it's less then a £100 and still a 1 month contract like Sky Glass is with the TV i will be ordering one as soon as i can. 

nst
Elite

@Anonymous User 

yes, all of NOW's content does - has integrated with the TV app for a while now.