cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update Now TV app for apple TV

Will the Now TV app for Apple TV ever get an update?

The current version is complete rubbish and makes me regret ever getting a Now TV pass.

Unless there is an update my Now TV experience will be very short indeed.

2,755 REPLIES 2,755
redchiz1
Champion 2

@nst Wow, quite an endorsement! Does it make tea as well? Perhaps when they drop the price by around two-thirds to compete with other similar plugin devices I might consider it.  🙂

nst
Elite

indeed it is.

Look on it as Sky Glass but for free....

And, if you are in the apple ecosystem and have an iPhone or iPad you already have the TV app and it will do the same for you without needing the AppleTV set top box.

You can use it to keep track of what's on when and what's ready to watch then basically just watch the thing on your tv or main tv and use the iPhone / iPad to mark as watched kindof like ticking it off a list.

redchiz1
Champion 2

I do use the app on my iPad and iPhone, it is a handy way to find out what's on where. 

IMG_CCBB2AC79142-1.jpeg

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I’ve stayed away from the whole NowTV app. on Apple TV boxes issue for a while, because it seemed to me that the issues relating to bug fixes and missing 5.1 audio weren’t going to be fixed. Is that still the case? Is 5.1 audio with the Boost pass still MIA?

I don’t live stream anything on the NowTV app. on my LG TV, but do use the Boost option for stuff that I stream via my Entertainment pass. I’m itching to buy an AppleTV box, as it will cover all of my streaming requirements, assuming that the NowTV app. offers 5.1 audio. My guess is that it’s still a pile of junk. Am I right?

nst
Elite

Yep... The App still has issues.  A pile of junk might be a bit of an overstatement to be fair.

The app works as it does across most other platforms with the exception that FF and RW are terribly implemented on the AppleTV.  It is one of the worst apps out there (for the most expensive streaming service!)

And yes, 5.1 is still missing from on demand content in the app an astonishing 14 months after its original release.

redchiz1
Champion 2

"Most expensive" is always a moot point as unlike the majority of providers NOW have a very flexible pricing policy towards retaining customers. 

nst
Elite

@redchiz1 

You say that.... but today I cancelled my boost pass.  Its a point of  principle now.  They have put it up to £5 now from £3.... whereas I was expecting it to actually vanish when hopefully 5.1 and 1080p was the base level service as it is in most other streaming services but instead they put the price up.

Anyway, ive given them well over a year and still nothing and I refuse to pay £5 and not get 5.1 on my platform of choice.

Ive cancelled twice in the past but they relent and give it to me for £3 so Ive continued but this time its £5 or the highway....  so the highway it is!

Ill keep my eye out and if they ever get 5.1 working on AppleTV app then ill consider it but till then... no.

Of course what this will now mean is that I cancel my movies subscription too.... I only watch a couple a month anyway and I might as well rent the film from iTunes at £4.99 and get it in 4K and ATMOS for that price.  Im sure over the course of the year ill save a fortune doing it that way.

redchiz1
Champion 2

@nst Absolutely. If you do not get a retention offer from NOW with which you are happy then you can just walk away.  

I don't know about a "fortune" though!  🙂

nst
Elite

@redchiz1 

Well, ive never really sat down and worked out how many movies I watch on NOW a year.... its certainly no more than one a month on average as many weeks can go by with no new films that interest me.

Some months there can be 2, some 0.

£4.99 rental for a movie on iTunes at 4K and ATMOS quality... even at one a month is still a 50% saving on the NOW cost.

The thing is, NOW are fools unto themselves.  Ive now had cause to think, and stop.  If they left my offer at something I considered reasonable Id have just carried on paying and not watching - the way most subscription places make their money by apathetic customers!

However, now I have had to do this I look on it differently.

In the future as I say ill rent from iTunes.  Should content appear on NOW that interests me, ill wait a few months until I have a few things I want to watch then pay for a single months sub and watch them all then cancel again.

redchiz1
Champion 2

Hey, I agree with you again. It is all about which services you use most and how much you pay. I have subscribed to the Cinema Membership in the past at heavily discounted prices and found myself hardly using it at all. No bargain there. As for 4K, Dolby Atmos etc. then you need the equipment in your home to make the most of it. Whilst most of us have 4K TVs these days, I doubt we have the sound systems to match.