cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update Now TV app for apple TV

Will the Now TV app for Apple TV ever get an update?

The current version is complete rubbish and makes me regret ever getting a Now TV pass.

Unless there is an update my Now TV experience will be very short indeed.

2,755 REPLIES 2,755
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@redchiz1 

Yes I do have a PS5 and could use that but there is no reason I should have to my Apple TV box can do 4K 60 HDR BT Sports with Atmos easily. To compare to TVs is wrong in my opinion It's different with LG TVs i would never use apps on a TV as they always stop updating them you buy a box like a Apple TV or Firestick because it offers more choice and will be supported and given updates. LG never even update one year old TVs to the new OS lol.

But i think the really bad thing about NowTV is they still in 2022 haven't enabled boost for iPads or Android Tablets a lot of people watch stuff on Tablets and you would notice 1080p on one and 50FPS for sure.

redchiz1
Champion 2

@Anonymous User Fair enough. Other devices can match the Apple TV for specs, but that does depend on the content provider. 4K etc, are somewhat moot for NOW at the moment! Personally, I have no issues with iPad resolution, the small screen makes overkill otiose imo, but I don't benefit from the visual acuity that others have. 

I understand the lifespan on TV upgrades, although my two year old LG has been regularly updated thus far and is still my "go to" device in the first instance for sheer convenience, it can handle most things I need. I go to Roku for 50fps Sky Sports and 4K HDR BT Sport. 

Still no sign of Nirvana though. 😉

nst
Elite

@redchiz1 

With the greatest of respect... why on earth should we have to operate multiple set top boxes and streaming devices??

AppleTV is the best I have every used.  Thats my subjective opinion sure but im right 🙂 

The integration of the TV app puts the AppleTV head and shoulders over all others - AppleTV with the TV app is in many ways identical to SkyGlass.

Sure, I have a fire stick... but why should I have to switch to that to get the 5.1 im paying for when i want to stay on my AppleTV?  If they support a service and provide an app, then do it properly or not at all!

Popeye13
Scholar 2

Have to agree. While ive never been a fan of Apple products, once my Good Lady showed me the Apple TV, it was mindblowing how good it is, how functional it is and that you can do so much with it, to such amazing levels in quality experience.

So imagine my surprise that still, into Jan 2022 and Sky are saying that officially, one of the most powerful, able and revered devices, that's capable of alot, doesn't support 6ch audio in DD through their app for NowTV. It stinks and we know its factually nonsense.

They can do way better and choose not to.

Just even get DD5.1 on LIVE this morning was a pain, so its still being messed with and yet last night, i enjoyed watching Wrath of Man on Prime, in 4K-HDR with 5.1 audio, on my Apple TV 4K, a device that Sky would have you believe is duff!!

redchiz1
Champion 2

@nst wrote:

@redchiz1 

With the greatest of respect... why on earth should we have to operate multiple set top boxes and streaming devices??

AppleTV is the best I have every used.  Thats my subjective opinion sure but im right 🙂 

Because everybody is competing and not everything plays nice with everything else?

Apple TV is clearly not the best device for NOW TV.  🙂

nst
Elite

@redchiz1 

Actually I believe it is.... as most in this particular thread would probably agree as we all have one 🙂 

That said, it ISNT until they fix this annoying 5.1 issue....

Right now the 'best' one is the Firestick app - that has all the bells and whistles and Firestick seems to be NOW's platform of choice as they no longer sell their own branded hardware.

Back to why AppleTV is the best... its all down to the AppleTV TV app, and its integration with streaming services (apart from Netflix) - NOW's integration with the TV app makes the Apple ecosystem hands down the best platform for NOW - especially when you use NOW in conjunction with others like iPlayer, Disney+, Prime Video, All4 etc.....

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

I know it’s frustrating to be offered promos for features you can’t use on the device showing the promo, but put yourself on Now’s position in trying to prevent this.

Technically, what difficulties might they encounter, and how would you propose overcoming them?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

1. Lack of coding ability to implement 5.1

2. Not caring about providing a competitive and quality service. 
3. Lack of licences for the specific platform

4. Agreement with other parties to ensure the Apple TV doesn’t offer the full service. 
5. Just don’t want my money. 

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Any evidence for (iv)?

That’s quite a serious accusation, and Apple would be down on it like a ton of bricks.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@RoyB 

Unfortunately not

I remember back when Now TV was on the Apple TV 3 (non tvOS), the apps came through Apple and their criteria must have been high to be included as it was, at the time, the only device that supported 720p for NowTV. 

With the advent of tvOS pretty much anything seems to go, Apple should have enforced some sort of UI requirement as the NowTV app is truly horrendous, plus core functionality like continue watching is unreliable.

It’s like they intentionally don’t want NowTV to be too good, otherwise it would cannibalise their lucrative Sky TV service.