cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update Now TV app for apple TV

Will the Now TV app for Apple TV ever get an update?

The current version is complete rubbish and makes me regret ever getting a Now TV pass.

Unless there is an update my Now TV experience will be very short indeed.

2,755 REPLIES 2,755
nst
Elite

@Hooba 

But there isn't really anything that warrants a 'launch'

Boost is boost, and it is supported on a number of devices, the AppleTV supposedly one of them.  AppleTV is simply missing a tentpole feature that we've all been paying for for the last year and hasn't actually been working.

They shouldnt keep this any longer.

The app is capable of 5.1.  we know this NOW.... we aren't stupid.

Hooba
Scholar 3

@nst Well they can't launch it in its current state as its hideously broken for live 5.1. NOW can't expect some people to have to keep buggering around every time the audio switches from 5.1 to 2.0 or vice versa. It's a problem not restricted to HomePods either. I now have an App which offers 5.1, but for all intents and purposes is utterly broken and unusable.

nst
Elite

@Hooba 

That’s the point. We don’t have an app that supports 5.1. Not officially. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Am I alone in not being able to use Now on my Apple TV (4th Gen) since version 6.5.8 was released on 16th Dec?

I've got a support ticket open, but don't seem to be getting anywhere. When I open the Now app, it just gives me a loading spinning circle. I've deleted and reinstalled the app, factory reset the Apple TV, even tried connecting via 4G, but everything is the same. 

If it's just me, it would suggest my account has got corrupted somehow.

nst
Elite

Sorry to say, but yes it looks that way.

No such problems here and nobody else seems to be responding the same as you.

Just the usual crappy app with no 5.1 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I’ve just seen an on screen ad in the tvOS app, it’s for the £5 boost to get surround sound. Odd as the Apple TV isn’t supported. 

See screenshot, text below. 

“Watch in HD with surround sound and on 3 devices at the same time for £5 a month. Terms apply.”

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

You think the ads care (or even know) which OS is displaying them?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

If they don’t they should as they don’t offer the same service on all devices. This would be misleading advertising surely as if you pay for this service you’d reasonably expect the device it was advertised on supported it as you are logged in and the app was supplied by the advertiser.  

Maybe they just want to add insult to injury with this awful app. Looking at the recent list of supported devices for 5.1, it’s long. Is Apple TV the only mainstream device that can go up to Atmos as long as it’s not NowTV, which can only manage to code for stereo.

nst
Elite

@Anonymous User 

Ive been making this point myself for a while.

It is not reasonable, in my opinion, to provide a "boost" service... charge a set fee for that, and yet depending on what hardware platform you choose to use... only get a subset of those features.

ALL devices that support boost should fully support it.  Seems a perfectly reasonable expectation for me. Yes I know not everyone has 5.1 equipment and are happy to pay for boost for the other things it offers... but to me 5.1 sound and 1080p picture surely in 2022 are archaic already and long superseded by ATMOS and 4K....

But.  The appleTV is technically more than capable of 1080 and 5.1 and has been for 10 years.  Why NOW are unable to support it in their app should be an embarrassment frankly.

redchiz1
Champion 2

I kind of sympathise with the ongoing angst expressed on this long-running topic. But I have to say that personally I have 3 alternative devices on which the full feature set of NOW Boost is available, with another one partially limited which is the 50fps functionality for Sky Sports on my LG TV. And I long ago gave up in pursuit of the "one device that does it all" Nirvana. Do all you Apple TV users have no other device which you can turn to?