cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update Now TV app for apple TV

Will the Now TV app for Apple TV ever get an update?

The current version is complete rubbish and makes me regret ever getting a Now TV pass.

Unless there is an update my Now TV experience will be very short indeed.

2,755 REPLIES 2,755
nst
Elite

So, today there's a bit of media frenzy regarding the release of the AppleTV+ app on Sky and Sky Glass.

Interesting.

Sky and Apple officially working together now.  Just like Sky and Amazon were a year ago.

So, also given that we are now 1 year since the launch of the (hamstrung) AppleTV NOW app....

... I wonder if we will see 5.1 for on demand content suddenly start to work very soon.

Bye Bye firestick you've been given 1 year of technical superiority and you'll have to attract customers to Now on your own merits soon 🙂 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I think they really are having technical issues, probably because they opted to go for the custom player rather than Apple TV's in-built version.  I only seem to get 5.1 when I switch to a live channel when the programme is playing.  If I switch on during an ad-break it is 2.0, and stays on that for the duration I am watching the channel. 

I also set my folks up using Now on their Apple TV (HD) recently.  They have a 2.1 soundbar, and the sound goes out of synch gradually over time when watching live sports.  By half-time punditry it's a good 3-4 seconds out.  Doesn't happen with Now on demand, or any other streaming service on the Apple TV (including live Amazon Prime sports).  Changed to high speed HDMI etc, but still an issue.

Hopefully might force Now to use the native Apple player if this is the issue.

nst
Elite

@Anonymous User 

Lets be kind and assume that the AppleTV has some weird unique technical issue that stops the Now app having 5.1.

They have had a long time to get this right.

The "new" app has now been out 1 year.  During that year we've had assurances that it will be fixed "soon" ever since this time last year just after launch.

The "new" app had been in public beta for 8/9 months before release.  Assurances were made to the beta testers that full boost support would be included in the live release.

There are many apps on the AppleTV that provide 5.1 output without blinking... and have done for literally years.  NOW could give one of them a quick call and ask how its done.

The fact is that the app is supposed to not be capable of 5.1 yet it is, it can, and it works fine for live content.  I just can't understand why it can't be done for 'on demand' content.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

It’s not an issue with the Apple TV, but what I’m wondering now if there has been a fundamental fault with the way Now have designed and implemented the app in first place that is the problem (e.g. not using the standard player).  I agree there is no excuse for not fixing the issue, they don’t appear to want to, for commercial reasons or otherwise.

I don’t believe the live channels 5.1 is fully working though, and other threads point out that switching between sound formats isn’t working in all cases.  Customers with HomePods highlight the issue, and I also see it with a Sony receiver.  That said, it wouldn’t impact on demand content as there are no adverts with boost anyway.

As you mentioned, hopefully this new Apple partnership will give Sky/Now the impetus to get the app working as it should.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Is anybody else having trouble with the app playing programmes as the wrong frame rate? I have my Apple TV set to match the content frame rate, but US programs look very juddery. Looks like something is converting the 30fps shows to 25fps. After all this time, my TV’s built-in NowTV app still looks way better than the Apple TV version even for simple HD content. Haven’t noticed this on any other streaming service. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Recent update. Have not noticed any changes other than subtitles on live. Still stereo on demand. 

Hooba
Scholar 3

I'm reading that the AppleTV+ app on SkyQ is 2.0 audio only ..... 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Hooba 

Interesting i wonder why that is as it should do Dolby Atmos

Hooba
Scholar 3

@Anonymous User I imagine its Apple saying to Sky: if you're only doing 2.0 on the Now app on AppleTV, we're returning the compliment by only doing 2.0 for the SkyQ AppleTV+ app.

They were either both going to go 5.1, or 2.0. Looks like 2.0 won the day. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Hooba

Apparently Sky have said Dolby Atmos is coming later to the Apple TV Sky Glass/Q next year we will see when they implement if Now implement 5.1 for us as well. I forgot how much decent speakers can sound lol. Hooked up a couple of stereo speakers to my second TV today just really made me realise how bad built in TV speakers are.