cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hooba
Scholar 3

Re: Update Now TV app for apple TV

@GW Yep - same for me. No 5.1 whether on demand, or live. Have never seen any 5.1 on AppleTV Now app. The GP and City v Everton are in stereo for me too.

0 Thanks
nst
Expert 3

@GW 

Strange.

I have a Sonos sound bar and that's how I know the output format....

And, I can repeat the test over and over if I go to the TV guide section of the app and play something as Live it will always be 5.1 for me... however the same content if 'played from the beginning' i.e. the on demand version is still always 2.0.

As we've said, its very weird that the app which is "not 5.1 capable" is playing some stuff in 5.1.

To those who recently reported on demand being 5.1 Ive tried myself and its still always 2.0 for me.

Weird how we are getting different results....

0 Thanks
Ab76
Mentor

After a week I’m still getting 5.1 surround sound for live events, but I’ve played some on demand content a few times this week (content that’s available in 5.1 for supported devices) and it’s still only stereo. I know because I have a Sonos system and their app tells me what sound is being played. 

Even though I have Boost, NOW insist on forcing me to watch 30 second adverts (that cannot be skipped or fast forwarded) for other programmes/films (including ones I’ve already watched). Along with the lack of 5.1 for on demand films, this is another reason why I’m thinking of cancelling at least the film part of my subscription. 

0 Thanks
Sandey
Mentor

Anyone else’s NOW app keep crashing when using the search function?

0 Thanks
nst
Expert 3

@Sandey 

Not tried it myself however the 'joy' of the AppleTV TV app integration is that you have no need for Now's own search.. just use the search function in the TV app and it should include Now's content.

0 Thanks
Kalvirtus
Advocate

Having looked at this a bit more, whilst Sonos is reporting 5.1 I’m pretty sure I’m only getting stereo content as no sound is ever coming from the rear speakers.

so it is very strange that everyone is getting different results. 

have just tried live content and I do get sound from rear speakers in this case

0 Thanks
nst
Expert 3

Not long to go before its magically fixed 🙂 

I can't recall the exact date the AppleTV app went live... around the 10th?

One year on - one year of technical supremacy for the Firestick...

Time will tell.

0 Thanks
moroboshi
Expert

I watched movies on Netflix, Disney+, and even Now at the weekend. On Netflix and Disney+ I was getting 4K Dolby Vision with Dolby Atmos audio. On Now it was 1080p SDR with stereo audio.  Let that sink in. The SDR thing is inexcusable, the 1080p thing is utterly baffling. But STEREO?  In 2021? I was getting 5.1 from DVDs in 1999. That's 22 years ago.  5.1 was on laser discs even earlier. 

The mind boggles at the staggering level of technical ineptitude.  Are the engineers at Now aware of just how incompetent they are? Or is this some sort of infantile war with Apple over something?

It's beyond pathetic. It's imbecilic, insulting, feeble minded, and offensive. 

MrZippy
Expert 2

I don’t think they want Now to be too good, or it would eat into their core Sky service. Apple TV is a premium box, I suspect they see it as having a real chance of doing that, whereas the cheap £50 sticks are rubbish, in my opinion.

And they don’t listen as I ‘tested’ the new app and they basically ignored the feedback and launched their appalling UI using non native controls so it looks and feels rubbish.
0 Thanks
Enapace
Expert 2

I’ve had a complaint into NOW for over 2 months now since I felt they were false advertising saying the Apple TV box did live pause on there info on the site for months when it has never worked at all. 

They have had me do so many things from telling them the software version of app to the OS installed number which remote I had etc. They are very slow in replying back to my email replies the latest is having me take a video of loading into the app going take to the tv picking and Channel and showing them I was clicking the play pause button on the remote lol and nothing happened lol. 

Maybe they will eventually implement live pause by the end surprised how long it’s gone on for and with them just not simply admitting it doesn’t have the functionality and they don’t plan to implement lol. 

Would be nice when I’m watching F1 though haha. 

its a shame they won’t actually use the Apple TV Remote how it’s actually meant to be designed as the one for the 4K Gen 2 handles fast forward really well once you get used to it.