cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nst
Expert 3

Re: Update Now TV app for apple TV

@Osk9000 

Indeed - but I do think its soon.  Finally.

Remember, the current app is routinely providing a 5.1 stream on the live content.  Clearly and obviously its capable.  Its just a case of when they finally 'allow' it to do 5.1 on demand.  December 🙂 

Ive been saying the for ages.  I hope I get a prize when it starts working next month.

nst
Expert 3

@Anonymous User 

No, can't say I have.

For all its faults the actual app and service is what it is.  The fact it integrates with Apple's TV keeps me as a customer as we basically have a free Sky Glass experience (if Netflix would play ball too).

But apart from the technical limitations I haven't found any sound issues.

I must say that their technical support etc is very poor.  Ive been chasing them up about the lack of 5.1 since the day it launched last December and they've constantly promised that its being active looked at and hoped to have a fix soon.  1 year later we still wait.

Its not as if we are expecting it to answer the meaning of life... simply to do what the oldest and worst services have managed to do on the AppleTV for many years which is a meagre 5.1 and 1080p.

0 Thanks
Anonymous User
Not applicable

It’s just strange, never had the problem before and all of a sudden it starts happening, hopefully like you say when they sort the sound out in general and with this new apple deal it will get sorted, it’s just such a pain to have to close the app reopen it enter my pin again to get the sound back and even more frustrating when watching sport and the sound cuts out.
0 Thanks
Ab76
Mentor

Thank you everyone for the information that live programmes are broadcast in Dolby 5.1. I’ve just finished watching the Brazilian Grand Prix live in Dolby 5.1 (the Sonos app confirms as much),

It’s nonsensical that NOW can broadcast live in 5.1, but not stream non-live programmes in 5.1. If there were any serious technical difficulty surely it would be the other way around.

For whatever reason (perhaps as others have suggested to encourage us to buy Amazon devices), they must be deliberately turning 5.1 off for non-live programmes streamed via Apple devices, but find it too difficult to do that for live broadcasts. It’s pretty appalling behaviour from the most expensive streaming service in the country (my Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney +, BritBox and Channel 4 on demand subscriptions combined are less per month than I pay NOW).

0 Thanks
phoe67
Mentor

Well they’ve definitely screwed up the Peacock launch for Apple TV. The films included under Peacock are listed in the Entertainment section instead of films. As such the integration with the TV app is messed up. It seems to be either picking those peacock films up as not existing such as A Million Ways To Die In The West or trying to match them to TV shows as it’s created a tv show called Bowfinger… another successful launch from Now

nst
Expert 3

@Ab76 

Glad you agree with me.

Ive been saying this for a long time.

5.1 on live started working a few months ago yet I think they were hoping we wouldn't notice.  We did.

I asked them why and got no real response.

Its literally impossible for them to say that the app is NOT capable of 5.1 when it is.

The 2.0 limit on 'on demand' content via the AppleTV app is purely artificial now.  It has been for a while.  There is no reason why they cant provide 5.1 on demand when they can live.  None whatsoever.

Why, in November are we still waiting for this to be miraculously fixed.

Again, its only a few weeks away from the anniversary of the Fire Stick app going live .... what a shocker if they flick the switch to allow on demand content in 5.1 on that date.

0 Thanks
Kalvirtus
Advocate

Sonos app is reporting on demand content to me as being in 5.1 - when navigating around standard Apple TV interface it reports stereo pcm 

0 Thanks
Shminky
Mentor

I have also noticed today that Dexter via on demand is outputting 5.1. My ears were in shock when I pressed play.

nst
Expert 3

@Kalvirtus 

@Shminky 

If, and its a big if.. they have finally fixed this...

I recall when they launched the app last year it took them best part of a month to re-label all content on the AppleTV from 5.1 to Stereo.

One of our many complaints at the time was that the app wasn't capable of 5.1 yet all the content was still labelled as such.

So, imagine they had fixed it.... it would take them ages to update all the tags back to 5.1 from Stereo.  The labels mean nothing.  If the output is 5.1 then its 5.1 regardless.

p.s. the boost support page still lists AppleTV as being incapable of 5.1 (someone should have told them that live has been working for months at least)

0 Thanks
GW
Mentor

@nst 

@Kalvirtus 

@Shminky 

Urm? I have nothing in 5.1. The GP and City v Everton are in stereo. On demand Dexter in stereo. 

5.1 on my Sonos through the LG app as usual. 

0 Thanks