cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update Now TV app for apple TV

Will the Now TV app for Apple TV ever get an update?

The current version is complete rubbish and makes me regret ever getting a Now TV pass.

Unless there is an update my Now TV experience will be very short indeed.

2,755 REPLIES 2,755
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sonos app is reporting on demand content to me as being in 5.1 - when navigating around standard Apple TV interface it reports stereo pcm 

Shminky
Mentor

I have also noticed today that Dexter via on demand is outputting 5.1. My ears were in shock when I pressed play.

nst
Elite

@Anonymous User 

@Shminky 

If, and its a big if.. they have finally fixed this...

I recall when they launched the app last year it took them best part of a month to re-label all content on the AppleTV from 5.1 to Stereo.

One of our many complaints at the time was that the app wasn't capable of 5.1 yet all the content was still labelled as such.

So, imagine they had fixed it.... it would take them ages to update all the tags back to 5.1 from Stereo.  The labels mean nothing.  If the output is 5.1 then its 5.1 regardless.

p.s. the boost support page still lists AppleTV as being incapable of 5.1 (someone should have told them that live has been working for months at least)

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@nst 

@Anonymous User 

@Shminky 

Urm? I have nothing in 5.1. The GP and City v Everton are in stereo. On demand Dexter in stereo. 

5.1 on my Sonos through the LG app as usual. 

Hooba
Scholar 3

@Anonymous User Yep - same for me. No 5.1 whether on demand, or live. Have never seen any 5.1 on AppleTV Now app. The GP and City v Everton are in stereo for me too.

nst
Elite

@Anonymous User 

Strange.

I have a Sonos sound bar and that's how I know the output format....

And, I can repeat the test over and over if I go to the TV guide section of the app and play something as Live it will always be 5.1 for me... however the same content if 'played from the beginning' i.e. the on demand version is still always 2.0.

As we've said, its very weird that the app which is "not 5.1 capable" is playing some stuff in 5.1.

To those who recently reported on demand being 5.1 Ive tried myself and its still always 2.0 for me.

Weird how we are getting different results....

Ab76
Scholar

After a week I’m still getting 5.1 surround sound for live events, but I’ve played some on demand content a few times this week (content that’s available in 5.1 for supported devices) and it’s still only stereo. I know because I have a Sonos system and their app tells me what sound is being played. 

Even though I have Boost, NOW insist on forcing me to watch 30 second adverts (that cannot be skipped or fast forwarded) for other programmes/films (including ones I’ve already watched). Along with the lack of 5.1 for on demand films, this is another reason why I’m thinking of cancelling at least the film part of my subscription. 

Sandey
Scholar

Anyone else’s NOW app keep crashing when using the search function?

nst
Elite

@Sandey 

Not tried it myself however the 'joy' of the AppleTV TV app integration is that you have no need for Now's own search.. just use the search function in the TV app and it should include Now's content.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Having looked at this a bit more, whilst Sonos is reporting 5.1 I’m pretty sure I’m only getting stereo content as no sound is ever coming from the rear speakers.

so it is very strange that everyone is getting different results. 

have just tried live content and I do get sound from rear speakers in this case