cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nst
Expert 3

Re: Update Now TV app for apple TV

@Enapace 

It looks interesting but sadly its currently stuck with their own screen.

On the face of it the cost seems reasonable for what you get...

However many im sure are quite happy with their current TV and won't be interested in 'renting' a TV.

They will for sure release the product as a stand alone product eventually.

Enapace
Expert 2

@nst 

You don't rent the TV you buy the TV from them it's totally yours. You can either choose to buy it upfront or you can pay it off over 24 or 48 Months. I'm probably going for it as I was going get a 4K TV screen for my bedroom anyway and then I can buy one of there Pucks to connect my main TV. I already pay £5 for boost so i don't mind extra £5 for another box. Sky Glass looks like a solid step up over Now though with 4K and HDR. 

0 Thanks
nst
Expert 3

@Enapace 

Sure, you can buy outright and you have an interest free option for 4 years..

However bear in mind you have to have a minimum of £26 per month sky package for the glass service.

Shaping up to be considerably more expensive than Now is.

0 Thanks
Enapace
Expert 2

@nst True entertainment is more but you get far more channels in fairness but Cinema is same price and Sky Sports is actually less.

0 Thanks
nst
Expert 3

@Enapace 

Thats fair..

Though I just can't see myself going back to expensive contract TV having used Now for a few years.

As I said earlier, Now .. realistically will never progress over 1080p and 5.1 as otherwise it will take away sales of glass.

I just hope that the AppleTV app is fixed for 5.1 by year end (as per my previous conspiracy theory)..

And its a shame that Now won't end up with Atmos and 4K but this glass announcement just confirms the long swirling rumours regarding Sky's direction on streamed dish-less content.

0 Thanks
Nufc4life1982
Mentor

Hi sorry if this has been said before but has anyone’s Apple TV integration now and nxt stopped working since iOS 15 release I just can’t seem to get it to show anything from now Tv ?? 

0 Thanks
Samuel71
Mentor

I had to redo it but shows my latest episodes fine
0 Thanks
nst
Expert 3

Small, but ultimately no-news kinda update for the 5.1 saga.

I tweeted NowHelp again as I think its a good idea to keep up the impression that people are indeed using the AppleTV app and are waiting for the 5.1 situation to be resolved.

My tweet:

Can we please have an update on appletv now app for 5.1 sound. It’s been many weeks since we discovered the app is capable of 5.1 via live stream yet on demand remains at 2.0 for boost subscribers. Almost 1 year on from launch and still not fixed. Why please?

Their reply:

This is totally understandable and this feedback has been raised to the team recently. Especially with the addition of our latest app we hope this can come to fruition. Thank you for getting in touch. - TD

As noted the Now app was relatively recently updated with a slightly updated interface - and still that opportunity wasn't taken to resolve this.

It really does continually add to my theory that this 5.1 situation is artificial - especially as we know the app can do 5.1 on the live streams...

It will be fixed... one year in... so its nearly November now - almost 11 months after launch.  Just one more month to go till this gets miraculously fixed.  Do I get a prize? 🙂 

0 Thanks
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I’m done with NowTV. There is still no native support for the Apple remote
(I’ve purchased the new one) I don’t think there will either. I refuse to
pay £9.99 and have adverts. Most of the fox content is on Disney+ now.
Regarding Sky exclusive content a friend has helped out via a vpn and a
couple of sites that get me that content.
0 Thanks
nst
Expert 3

@Anonymous User 

I agree in that Now's offering seems increasingly un-competitive.

Disney+ in particular since taking on the Stars content (Fox) has more and more exclusive content in high quality with 4K and Atmos streams too - and no ads.

Any paid streaming service should not contain ads although im not sure how Sky have ever justified the ads on Sky1 when thats been a paid service forever.

Your comment about the remote is true but to be fair a lot of the other apps on AppleTV have yet to natively support it.  Now are no different and the least likely to do so.  Thats a lost cause.

I find it interesting to see where Now are headed.  It seems like they have their head in the sand really and are making moves that seem to forget the competition.  For Movies and Entertainment... charging way more than any other streaming service... and their content is increasingly less compelling and different... and including ads, and charging £5 a month more for the privilege of a video and sound experience 10 years out of date and far behind the others... all told this seems insane.

They simply wont last.  Maybe they will disappear and become part of Sky Glass in one way or another eventually.  Who knows.

Right now they have to pull their socks up and realise that customer experience and cost are key and their customer base is not guaranteed just because of the content.

0 Thanks