Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nst
Expert 3

Re: Update Now TV app for apple TV

@Hooba 

No point whatsoever.

The only thing that might have some merit is the live chat's suggestion that the app would need re-installing.

For the record, I think this is complete rubbish as officially the app, according to the website, doesn't support 5.1.

0 Thanks
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@nst

Couldnt agree more
0 Thanks
nfrend
Advocate

I watched The White Lotus yesterday on demand and 5.1 signal. 

0 Thanks
nst
Expert 3

@nfrend 

Ive not seen it on anything but live yet.

This whole situation is utterly bizarre and I dont know how or why NOW are incapable of explaining whats going on when asked.

The support pages still explicitly state that 5.1 is not supported on the AppleTV.  I would expect that to change the moment they officially have "fixed" the problem.

Again.. goes to show there is nothing to "fix" and probably never has been.

0 Thanks
MrZippy
Expert 2

Just a question, I seem to remember missing subtitles were an issue too before, I’ve never checked but I noticed the other day there were subtitles available on the programme I was watching. Did they resolve this quietly too?
0 Thanks
nst
Expert 3

@MrZippy 

Thats the weird thing.  The 5.1 doesn't seem 'resolved' - theres been no app update to make this work... its just is working on live stuff.

Looking back on my replies earlier they said its been fixed since may but this is rubbish.

who knows whats going on.  when you ask them they dont know either.

0 Thanks
MrZippy
Expert 2

Unless the app is specially disabling it you assume it’s just the stream that would need updating. But who knows, they don’t!
0 Thanks
nst
Expert 3

My little tinfoil hat theory seems quite plausible.

The app is demonstrably capable of 5.1.  Were we supposed to not notice?

If its not capable its not capable.... but it is.

0 Thanks
anth16
Advocate

Been viewing this thread for a while. Today I tested cinema and entertainment both live and on demand. I have the new Apple TV box and Bose system with rear speakers and sub. To my surprise it’s definitely 5.1. Sub output and rear speakers definitely outputting 5.1. It wasn’t like this a few weeks ago. About to get rid of the now tv box now. Very strange why they have not announced this.

0 Thanks
Liam
Mentor

Likewise, I've been following this thread for ages hoping to get rid of my NowTV stick given how much more performant the Apple TV app is, and it's upscaling beats my TVs.

Xcode reports Sky Sports The Hundred is ec-3, 6 channel, 48000Hz at 50fps.