cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update Now TV app for apple TV

Will the Now TV app for Apple TV ever get an update?

The current version is complete rubbish and makes me regret ever getting a Now TV pass.

Unless there is an update my Now TV experience will be very short indeed.

2,755 REPLIES 2,755
nst
Elite

Move along...

sadly nothing to see here then 😞 

nst
Elite

its funny... i have a note to myself to cancel my boost pass this week as its going up to £5 a month (for me anyway!) and I refuse out of principle to pay that given the inability for the appleTV to support 5.1.

For a minute there I thought I might now have to cancel!

Should have known better.

Sky's inability to implement 5.1 in their app on the AppleTV is mindblowingly incomprehensible when everyone else manages it no problem.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@nst I would test it first, it may just be an issue with my setup. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Well, I’m not sure what the point of that post is, but I’ve just checked again and it’s still working, so they’re obviously updating something in the background and for some of us it’s clearly working which is a big positive.

Frustratingly not for everyone quite yet, but to state it isn’t 5.1 isn’t accurate as of yesterday.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

What version does everyone have? It lists NowTV as being recently updated for me in the app store, but sound is still shown as Stereo (as shown on my amp) for any NowTV. Others like Netflix show sound on my amp as Multi Channel when in 5.1 or Dolby Vision.

I have version 6.5.3 for NowTV

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm also on 6.5.3

So I just tried the Now app again (same settings as I left it before lunch), and my receiver is now reporting DD 5.1, however I'm not getting any sound through the rear speakers.  I first noticed the change when watching Sky One live, then tried the on demand movies etc and they are also reporting DD 5.1.  I tested the same programmes, movies and live channels with the Now TV 4K box, and the sound is clear through the rear speakers for the same content.  

Hopefully this is just a sign they are in final testing.  

Just watched a few minutes of Sky Sports Live - NOW TV app is 6.5.3 and Sonos app is reporting DD5.1 (can hear it too via the rear speakers)

Anonymous User
Not applicable

If I log into NowTV I get a pop up try to sell boost, with a link to their FAQ.  This doesn’t exclude the Apple TV or tvOS for surround sound. 

No. The HD and Surround Sound features of Boost aren't available on any of the following devices that you can watch NOW on:

• PC/Mac
  • iOS or Android mobile devices 
  • Roku devices other than Roku Express or Roku Streaming Stick
  • Chromecast 1st and 2nd generation.

We're always looking to make Boost available on more devices, so check back regularly to see if your favourite device is supported.

nst
Elite

wishful thinking @Anonymous User 

This page is somewhat high level.

The usual page still explicitly says that 5.1 is not supported on AppleTV although I suspect they will be quick to change that as and when its officially sorted.

FAQs still as follows:

FAQs

You just need any NOW Membership (except Sports Mobile Membership) to be able to add Boost and watch ad-free on up to 3 devices at once.

To enjoy the other benefits of Full HD, Surround Sound and 50fps on Sky Sports channels, you’ll need:

• An HD TV
  • A minimum internet speed of 12Mbps
  • Dolby digital 5.1 surround sound speakers or sound bar, for the optimal audio experience
  • One of these devices: 
    • NOW Smart Stick
    • Any NOW Box
    • Amazon Fire TV Stick (2nd & 3rd Gen, 4K, Lite & Basic Edition)
    • Amazon Fire TV Cube 2nd Gen (2019)
    • Amazon Fire TV 2nd Gen (2015) & 3rd Gen (2017)
    • Amazon Fire TV Edition – JVC 4K (2019), HD/FHD (2020) & 2K (2021); Technika/Bush 4K (2020)
    • Nebula Soundbar (2019)
    • Roku Express or Roku Streaming Stick
    •  
    • Sony TV (most models from 2016)
    • PS4
    • PS5
    • Xbox One (50fps not currently available)
    • Xbox Series X & S (50fps not currently available)
    • Apple TV HD (gen 4) or 4K (Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound not supported on Apple TV)
    • YouView (including TalkTalk & BT boxes)
    • LG Web OS TV (50fps not currently available)
    • JVC Fire TV Edition Smart 4K TV
    • Chromecast Ultra or 3rd generation (see the image below if you're not sure what generation your Chromecast is).
Hooba
Scholar 3

Xcode is showing just 2.0 audio. I'll keep an eye on it though .....