cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update Now TV app for apple TV

Will the Now TV app for Apple TV ever get an update?

The current version is complete rubbish and makes me regret ever getting a Now TV pass.

Unless there is an update my Now TV experience will be very short indeed.

2,755 REPLIES 2,755
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just cancelled Boost.  A total rip off as it is but charging £5 for ad removal and HD adds insult to the injury of having no 5.1 sound.

I can subscribe to another service for that price!

nst
Elite

@Anonymous User 

Totally agree.  This is how I feel.  As an add-on £3 was cheeky when its included in the cost of Prime and Disney+ (and that's 4K and Atmos not poxy 1080p and 5.1).

I was expecting Boost to be eventually absorbed into the main tariff and only chargeable as an optional extra for the first year or two.

However, to up to to £5 and to expect AppleTV users to pay that when they are not getting all the functionality (frankly I think 5.1 is an essential part of the service) its totally unacceptable.

nst
Elite

@dr_necessitor @Mark_Weinreb 

I did think the same, and my July bill was showing as £5 but nearer the time it changed back to £3.

However... my August bill is showing at £5 and I have no reason to believe im on any discount deal etc so that's why I must cancel as im not paying £5 when my main viewing device is an AppleTV.

nst
Elite

@ukbobboy 

I think the same and don't disagree but I think you aren't quite correct in your assumption.

I agree, theres absolutely NO technical reason WHATSOEVER that Now cannot provide 5.1.

I think its total rubbish that they are having 'issues' doing this.  Its simply unbelievable when we aren't talking about cutting edge sound codecs here.... its the same service that literally everyone else has provided on the platform for years.

I disagree that its a licensing cost etc.  Firstly that's not our (the consumers) interest or fault.  They should factor that in to their tariff which im sure they do already.  Secondly they provide 5.1 on a wealth of other platforms so why exactly would the AppleTV be the straw that broke the proverbial camels back here?  

My old theory still stands true as far as I am concerned.

I feel that given the timing of the release of the surprise FireStick app (till then not even mentioned) just one week after the long long awaited AppleTV app.... in conjunction with the fact that there was a deal struck between Sky and Amazon to share content.... and the dropping of Roku as the provider of official NowTV hardware... to make Amazon's firestick the platform of choice for customers...  they had to steer as many to the Firestick as possible and how better to do that than release a highly anticipated app for the AppleTV which was then severely hamstrung and then nudging people to the Firestick...

Smells a bit fishy to me.

... I recon that the missing 5.1 is purely a contractual thing between Amazon and Now...and they will indeed magically 'fix' this after a predetermined lead time - im thinking 1 year.  You'll see... magically the Now development team will fix this oh so difficult issue around December 2021.... by which time most the AppleTV users who pay £5 for boost and value a 5.1 sound stream will have left the platform and be well and truly Amazon Firestick users.

@Mark_Weinreb  Shows as being on an offer price of £3. No mention of £5 with a £2 discount anywhere. No expiry date given either for this “offer”. All rather odd. August payment also shows as £3. Now that you mention it, I recall seeing in discussion on here that existing customers would carry on at £3 from the 15 July, but never saw it officially stated or confirmed.

Mark_Weinreb
Legend 5
Legend 5

Well, @dr_necessitor this is what shows under my upcoming payments for Boost:

22ECF4E0-4D1E-4074-AA21-DF8A300297D3.png

@Mark_Weinreb 

Interesting. This is what shows for Boost in upcoming payments for me…

ACBF202A-6698-4C29-B9D4-4C8ADB9C7135.jpeg

and this is my Boost membership…

B3B13B83-C21D-4D73-9F80-E70BB4E2E077.jpeg

No mention anywhere of the £2 discount that obviously I am getting! No mention of how long I will be getting it for either (like they normally do with discounts).

nst
Elite

Think yourselves lucky there!

No discount for me... ive been a boost subscriber since they introduced it c. November 2019 - but its going up to £5 for me in august.

Cancellation imminent - however I doubt they will try to entice me to keep it as im keeping the entertainment and movies pass.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

They’ve given us the dreaded by the end of the year was the last I’d read somewhere. 

I imagine it is probably a licensing thing with Apple. Whilst 5.1 technically is straight forward for them, Apple do tend to prefer things coded in their language, point and case Google and YouTube 4K debacle. Would imagine Sky as they use their own player depending on what that’s built using the codecs could be completely different but still offer the same output. Firestick is essentially an Android device with an Amazon skin. We all know about Android and it’s open nature, the good the bad and the absolutely horrific nature of it. 

Frustrating for sure but not enough for me to downgrade to an inferior product in the Firestick, just means I’ll get my movies elsewhere! iTunes rentals pretty cheap in all fairness and how many movies are people watching in a month? Sky Cinema is £10, just do yourself a favour and rent a movie a week from iTunes at £3? You’ll get Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos… it’s not that big a deal really is it? 

nst
Elite

@Anonymous User 

renting from iTunes is a good idea frankly.

As you say... you get 4K and ATMOS.

Looking back on my Sky Cinema usage... its not unusual to not have anything new to watch for weeks.  I wonder out loud how many movies I actually watch on there per year...

However the downside for me is that many films i have a 'passing' interest in and will watch them as they are available on Now - in most cases I enjoy them.  I would be a lot more resistant to renting such movies if I paid for them individually.  I suppose eventually things will find their way onto Netflix or Amazon but Now's library is always quite good sadly.