cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update Now TV app for apple TV

Will the Now TV app for Apple TV ever get an update?

The current version is complete rubbish and makes me regret ever getting a Now TV pass.

Unless there is an update my Now TV experience will be very short indeed.

2,755 REPLIES 2,755
Anonymous User
Not applicable

What’s funny is NowTV don’t even get the basics right as it doesn’t remember the episodes watched after an unknown period, I’m not sure if this is between not having a pass active or just after a period of time.  But it’s really annoying, Netflix remembers forever, not that I’ve ever stopped paying, even between regions, so when on holiday in the USA and the show isn’t currently in the U.K., when it is added in the U.K. it still knows where I got to. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable
They had lost me before these changes because of their inability to provide
subtitles to any TV show show that was on Fox. Me and deaf friend couldn't
watch many shows together.

Now two of those shows, The Walking Dead and War of the Worlds are both on
Disney+ with both subtitles and 5.1 sound. ( I am beyond delighted for my
friend to be able to watch these shows with me now )

They will lose more content due to Disney buying Fox and whilst normally I
don't like to see a monopoly on content at this moment I'm quite happy.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Looks like all the sports channels are now in 1080 with 50FPS nice to see the sky sports news tick flow smooth after all these years doesn’t look like heave done it for the entertainment channels tho sky news still has jagged ticker 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

The entertainment channels will never be 50fps. All the content shown on them is either native 25fps (often filmed as 50i) or 24fps sped up to 25% (and hopefully the sound pitch corrected).

nst
Elite

Doesn't matter anymore.

Ive cancelled my Boost pass as a result of the price rise to £5 a month where, on my primary streaming device (AppleTV), they can't be bothered to support 5.1 audio.

Once they have, and boost subscribers get the same value for money that they get on whatever boost supported platform they chose, I'll consider re-subscribing.

nst
Elite

To anyone interested... ive pestered the NOW 'help' twitter account again.

I think, although fruitless, its not a bad idea to keep letting them know about this.

I sent:

sorry to ask again but with the new boost price rise to £5 I will be cancelling my subscription until they support 5.1 audio on appletv. Why is this taking so long and is there a estimate as to when it will be fixed. I won’t pay £5 and receive half the service.

they replied:

We want to offer this functionality via Boost as quickly as possible. The new Apple TV app doesn’t currently support 5.1 Dolby, however our team is working hard to find a fix and we hope to be able to offer this is in the near future. Sorry for any inconvenience.

I then responded:

Thanks. This is so hard for the consumers to understand when EVERY other app on the appletv has been providing a 5.1 feed for YEARS let alone atmos and 4K. Why is NOW having problems supporting something that’s been available for years with others?

To which they replied:

Thanks for understanding and bearing with us. It is an ongoing issue that is currently still under investigation and we are still trying to work out a fix for this at the moment. We anticipate having a solid fix for this soon and will be keeping our members updated.

my final reply was:

Thank you. This has been promised as a ‘soon’ fix since December 2020. It would significantly aid our understanding if you could let us know the problem you are having whilst every other app manages 5.1 perfectly fine on the appletv. Why only NOW that can’t do it??

and they responded:

Will will pass the feedback along for more information on this.

Obviously trying to get rid of me at that point.. and I doubt they will pass it back.

However, their inability to provide 5.1 when literally everyone else can and does and has done for years in their apps is astonishing and impossible to accept from the consumers perspective i.e. ours... and the fact that the price is rising to £5 a month and still no 5.1 is unacceptable.

I would encourage others to keep asking the questions.

Whilst they continue to investigate..and work hard on fixing it.... you'd think that someone would pick up the phone and call the development teams at Apple, Amazon, Netflix, or Disney+  as they all seem to have cracked the super secret and hard to solve problem of streaming a 5.1 audio signal.
ukbobboy
Legend

@nst 

Hi nst

First, I don't have a dog in this race, i.e. I do not own any Apple devices or 5.1 sound equipment but I have been dipping in and out of your forum thread from tme to time.  So what I'm about to say is pure speculation but does contain a limited amount of sense.

Here we go, I don't believe that in 2021 NOW does not have the capabilities to produce 5.1 dolby sound for it's programming. It more than likely they cannot make the sums work, i.e. dolby's licensing fee, additional equipment needed, initial training of support staff and other stuff like that. In other words, if they thought it would be profitable they would be all over it.

Right now, NOW has other priorities, such as transporting their home policies and ways of working to a UK company and it's staff while trying to appeal to and grow a profitable user base.

Still, I just speculating on why there is a hold up on such an obvious facility.

UK Bob

Duncaw67
Scholar 3

@nst 

I also cancelled my boost pass and entertainment pass on 21July,as I refused to pay extra for an inferior service,all they could say was sorry to see you leave,and hopefully come back to NOW membership in the future!!!!

Still paying for Boost here (chiefly for Sports at 50FPS) but next payment is still £3 (which is because I seem to be on an offer - but I’ve had no notification of this offer, nor does it say anywhere within My Account exactly when this offer price expires/how long it apples for, and based on my extensive past experience of “being on offers” this seems unusual to me). Surely not an open ended offer?

Mark_Weinreb
Legend 5
Legend 5

If I remember my briefing notes correctly, @dr_necessitor there was a suggestion that Boost might stay at £3 for some users (definition of some not defined). On your account, does it say £5 with a £2 discount? That’s what I see on my account.

The idea being that no-one should pay more than they were.