cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nst
Expert 3

Re: Update Now TV app for apple TV

Woah there, @MarkyMark6 

On AppleTV they still don’t seem able to figure out how to get 5.1 to work.

4K and Atmos??  Don’t hold your breath.

If Now every get to that level of quality… remember that Disney+ and Netflix and Amazon Prime have already been doing it for years…. They will be years behind.

But… 5,1 first please.

0 Thanks
Simont90
Mentor

5.1 they're claiming 'by end of the year' so if that's anything to go by given this new app and the beta and release dates... I'd say December is probably realistic for 5.1.

4K and Atmos? If I'm taking a guess I'd say it'll go on Amazon Fire Sticks first... but even then, I can't see it being this year, likely Q2 2022 and Q4 2022 for Apple TV - best case scenario in my opinion

0 Thanks
MrZippy
Expert 2

I wouldn’t hold my breath for 5.1.

Next you’ll be suggesting they’ll support HDR too, lol.

Question I have asked many times is why are you all paying money for such poor quality - I certainly am not.
0 Thanks
Enapace
Expert 2

@MrZippy 

I use Firestick as my main device to watch NowTV and on there it is quite a good experience and allows me to watch Live Sports i couldn't else.

nst
Expert 3

@Simont90 

Where did you hear that claim?

Frankly, a ridiculous timeframe to get something 'working' that should have been there from the start and was asked for by the beta testers some 9 months before the app was released.

We were promised 5.1 at 'go-live' which of course never appeared.  We have also been promised this 'soon' ever since December.

I remain deeply sceptical that there is any technical reason for this whatsoever.  The developers at Now can't be that incompetent that they can't provide a 5.1 stream to the AppleTV where they manage it on so many other platforms.. AND of course the AppleTV has many many apps that have managed 5.1 for years....

It can't be technical.... it must be political - my guess is that the app is deliberately disabled to allow for another platform to gain dominance (Cough... Firestick... cough)  So when it finally appears after a pre-determined amount of time we wont be surprised....

...meanwhile many eager AppleTV customers like myself would have long since migrated to the Firestick for the Now app which gives us the full Boost feature set we are paying for.

0 Thanks
MrZippy
Expert 2

See this is silly, why migrate, just dump them!

I refuse to be tied to a substandard app or platform to view content, occasionally I binge a box set on NowTV, if I really must see it. Which is rare.
0 Thanks
nst
Expert 3

Not really, @MrZippy 

Everyones usage varies.

Sadly, you can't just 'dump' them when the content they offer is not available elsewhere from other streaming platforms.  Mores the shame as it enables their current attitude.

Personally, I sill watch enough of their content on both entertainment and movie channels to justify the subscription (albeit at discounted rates).

Should I get to the point where im not interested in watching anything then sure.. cancel... and dont pay for a few months until something interesting appears.  However whilst there remains content I want to watch and its exclusive to Now... cancelling isn't an option.

0 Thanks
MrZippy
Expert 2

I understand your circumstances, they’ve got you. But as you said you don’t pay full price. I loaded loads of credit from Clubcard before the offer stopped, so I’m paying basically nothing for any passes I get!

0 Thanks
GW
Mentor

Oh, my word word a horrible UI. I usually use the app on my TV to get 5.1 but I watched John Oliver yesterday as 2.0 is fine for that. Native pause & play on the remote doesn’t work?!

I can imagine the conversation in Now HQ

”I’m telling you, Keith, Apple don’t know a flip about software we go with our own UI show those Cali Boys how its done”

“What ya got in mind, boss?”

“Well get this… how do you pause video on the Apple TV remote?”

”With the pause button?”

“Exactly! But get this, wouldn’t it be a better user experience if you pressed select, and then when the big banner covers half the screen, you then highlight pause and press select again?”

“Er… but we’re sticking with pressing play for, well, play, right?”

“Of course not, Keith you idiot, the user has already been trained to use our simpler, select, hightlight, select protocol”

”Well… er… and how long is that banner going to stay on the screen after selecting, highlighting, and selecting?”

”The lads are still working on it, but definitely at least ten seconds”

”You’ve certainly earned your bonus this year, sir”

Samuel71
Mentor

Love this 😂

But unfairness the pause does work once it’s got the banner and you can press menu to remove the banner earlier. Just don’t get why you have to swipe up to get the banner.

Also it’s more jarring for me as I use the homepod for pausing a lot of the time so not only does this not work the simple pause doesn’t work either
0 Thanks