cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update Now TV app for apple TV

Will the Now TV app for Apple TV ever get an update?

The current version is complete rubbish and makes me regret ever getting a Now TV pass.

Unless there is an update my Now TV experience will be very short indeed.

2,755 REPLIES 2,755
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for quick reply, Def agree with you. 

I have a Sony TV that has the Now app, it will come to Google TV when more smart TV's have it hopefully. Still very shortsighted! 

Holding off for the new Apple TV box that's due in  the fall (or Tuesday of we are lucky!) 

Anonymous User
Not applicable
I’m considering selling my Apple 4K TV and returning to my Roku device.
I’ve brought my partner a Roku Streaming Bar for Xmas just gone and quite a
few apps have better features on the Roku platform. There is simply better
support and more regular updates.

For example when you choose any series or film on the Netflix app there is
an option for ‘More Like This’ And you can also scroll down a little bit
and see credits and more info like Director, Writer, Cast etc.

The Spotify app on the Roku box is significantly better as well. I’ve just
searched for David Lee Roth and I’ve got a choice of
1) popular songs
2) discography
3) appears on
and 4) fans also like option.

There is nothing like these options on the Spotify app on Apple TV. Why the
hell not!?

I just don’t understand why the Apple 4K TV device gets treated so poorly
when it’s meant to be a premium experience.
Anonymous User
Not applicable
@Anonymous User

I was wondering the same to be honest.

Is there going to be another box released next week and with Apple hiring the sports guy are they going to be adding the sports tab and has a deal been struck with Now? Seems strange that Apple intergration was just released and Apple have advertised it to users with pop etc.

If they just sorted the sound out then I would be more than happy with it, Apple intergration has already made it so much better for me already.

My other thought is with the rumours of TVOS 15 apparently having a live TV guide and the ability to record is this something that is going to include Now TV?
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User I very much doubt the Apple TV will ever have the ability to record at least not to the unit possibly to iCloud but it’s sold as a streaming box and not a Sky Q box. The live TV guide thing again, if any deal is struck with now I don’t think that will influence if we’ve get such a thing. The U.K. market is far too small for them to worry about that, better off keeping an eye on deals struck in the US. 

Again I’d be amazed if that was implemented into tvOS 15 or in the U.K., I think for tvOS 15 we are likely to get a refined UI its due a refresh. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable
@Anonymous User

Your probably right to be honest, I was just going from what I read in patently spoke about here patent the registered with the live MeV guide with the ability to record.

I must say when I see things in YouTube about the Apple TV in America I am envious with all the things they have etc. Shame we can’t get the same in the Uk with the sports tab etc
nst
Elite

Don't get me wrong but I just don't understand the continuing obsession with a recording function.

This is a streaming box.  It uses catchup service apps and content streaming apps - anything you want to watch is available anytime (within reason).  Why do you need a 'recording' of something?

The AppleTV TV app is great for this.  It acts as a 'recording queue' in that once something has aired and available on the streaming app it appears on the TV app - isnt this the same as a recording being available?

I was an obsessive recorder.. for many many years using VHS tapes, then Sky+ (a revelation back then) and then TIVO and Sky Q.  They were all good for their time and recording was an essential aspect of my viewing.

Now that streaming has really come of age in both reliability and quality its a no brainer and so much cheaper than having an expensive virgin or sky sub.  To me, this is only made possible by the AppleTV TV app... without it id still be wanting to record as having to keep track on the latest episode availability across 9 and courting separate apps is impossible.

Now's recent inclusion of TV app integration has been a huge step up on usability and now its only Netflix who remain a hold out - but somehow I doubt they ever will join in sadly.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I thought I might have done away with the need to record on my Tivo by now, but using it does have one big advantage, the recordings won't suddenly disappear!

I like having lists of TV and films I want to watch (so I can dive in straight away to a pre-researched show etc) but some have been in there for so long that when you get to wanting to watch them, they aren't on that particular streaming service any longer. This happens with NowTV and Amazon, not sure about Netflix, I suspect they remove it from your list when it's no longer on there, but I prefer to know I have missed my chance for now and to look for it elsewhere. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Am I missing something, I can’t see TV app integration on tvOS or iOS?

What I can see is a promo section for NowTV, if you look in the setting page NowTV isn’t listed as connected. ITV etc. are listed. 

Therefore you won’t see anything in up next (integration). I only have a kids pass, refuse to pay for the entertainment one the app is so poor. The kids use their pass all the time, but the UI is different for kids. Anyway don’t see any kids stuff in up next, but wouldn’t expect to as the app isn’t shown as supporting it. 

Hooba
Scholar 3

Tv App integration may be linked to this (if true):

https://www.imore.com/rumor-apple-tv-app-coming-sky-q-uk

Also if true, it may be the case that 5.1 is also on the way. As ever, time will tell ... depends on the deal etc etc

Simonpaddy1
Scholar 2

For me integration popped up the first time I played something through the Now TV app - it then prompted me to integrate. 

I only have an entertainment pass, so can speak for how it would / wouldn’t work with a kids pass.