cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update Now TV app for apple TV

Will the Now TV app for Apple TV ever get an update?

The current version is complete rubbish and makes me regret ever getting a Now TV pass.

Unless there is an update my Now TV experience will be very short indeed.

2,755 REPLIES 2,755
nst
Elite

As many may know.... there is an imminent software update due for the Firestick.

The software is already available on the newer models but will roll out to the older ones including the 4K firestick any time from now.

This is an actual update... not one of those 'nowTV' ones that never happen.

It will be interesting to see if it addresses the many issues I have with the Firestick's user interface.

That being said, I am still a fan of AppleTV... the TV app is unbeatable.  I don't want to be in the position of switching back and forth from the Firestick to the AppleTV but I do find myself staying with the firestick if I need NowTV content then not leaving to continue to use its iplayer/prime video/disney+ apps rather than go back to AppleTV.

again this all feels like a grand plan to drive users to the Firestick (and with many of the last 10 or so posts in this thread to back that up)... definitely at the expense of the AppleTV.  I wonder to myself out loud.... imagine that the AppleTV app had been delivered as promised... with all the features we were assured would be there.... would any AppleTV owners had even bothered to download the app on their firestick?  I suspect not.... all very fishy.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Agreed, the user experience on Apple TV is very poor, including responsiveness of remote, positioning of the highlight, logical layout of shows and movies. Also I’m annoyed I’m not getting 5.1 and the titles don’t tell me about the resolution. It’s the worst app among Disney, Netflix, Prime, tv+. It feels like a port to Apple TV and not a native development.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Unfortunately you will have to get used to it, they have no intention of sorting it out, had a reply back from the trials manager which basically said they can’t discuss anything with the public regarding development and everything that was promised prior to launch wasn’t added because not all things that are tested make it to launch, I find this funny as we never got to test the Apple TV intergration during the trial
Anonymous User
Not applicable
They could use the old app. I'm using it and it's very responsive. It has a
window in window feature, voice search and it's very easy to scrub forwards
and backwards.
nst
Elite

Think about it... what we are saying here.

What a shame... after all that effort and pretend pseudo-beta-testing that we all had to go through.. they deliver an app that is in many ways inferior to the appalling one that it replaced.

Your points are correct in that its a better experience from the scrubbing forward/backward perspective.

Of course the new app has a number of features that are needed but nowhere near what we want or were promised.  I think we would even settle for functional parity with the Firestick app but that seems too much to ask.

4 months in and no sign of that 'temporary problem' of not being able to output 5.1 audio being addressed... no surprise there.

TV app integration was something I was never expecting and I can understand why they would not want to support it as it gives the AppleTV hardware a big advantage over all the others and im sure NowTV dont want that to happen - when it was promised in Beta I was surprised... but the fact it didn't get released and still hasn't doesn't really shock me at all.

Xtal
Mentor

Not sure if this has been mentioned but just noticed that search functionality is completely broken in the app too.

If I search for ‘console wars’ for example I get ‘no results found’ but of course it’s there... I’m now having to search for shows on my phone, add them to the my TV list and then open the Apple TV app.

Any live TV I watch still has a weird black splotchy pattern overlaid despite me reporting it in the ‘beta’, at least with Sky One. I’ve actually had to stop watching live as I’m concerned it’s going to damage my OLED...

nst
Elite

@Xtal 

As a fellow "beta tester" I would agree that almost everything we took the time, trouble, and effort in testing and feeding back to the trials team was ignored.

Looking at what we have now... I wonder why any of us even bothered to take part. 

It was stretched out over 8 months of effort and despite many things being fed back and promised in return nothing was done.

Its a shame.

Whats worse is that what was delivered in december was apparently a stop gap and that it would be improved soon.  Its now been 5 months and although a couple of app updates its nothing material or changed what we got or added the features that were promised.

Given its been 5 months I no longer hold out any hope that the app will progress beyond what we have today.  Promises were made from the nowTV help twitter account but of course this remains unfulfilled.

A real shame.

I dont want to be using the Firestick but I have no other choice.

johnyslats83
Mentor

Can barely believe it but glad to see Apple TV app integration as of this morning!

nst
Elite

seriously?? after I just had a major whine???

How do you know?

Have they also sorted 5.1 sound?

Anonymous User
Not applicable
What the hell... that’s crazy just seen that myself.... might restart it now