cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update Now TV app for apple TV

Will the Now TV app for Apple TV ever get an update?

The current version is complete rubbish and makes me regret ever getting a Now TV pass.

Unless there is an update my Now TV experience will be very short indeed.

2,755 REPLIES 2,755
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi,

Thanks so much. I thought this may be the case. I use my HomePod as my connected speakers so in reality it’ll still sound great but without the support of atoms not sure it matters.

I can live with 1080p on first watch and then hope it becomes available on iTunes or similar soon and then I can get full 4K, Dolby atmos/Dolby vision and it’ll be like watching it all over again.

I get HBOs deals with sky but fancy given something of this quality to them to release at poor quality 🤦🏻‍♂️
nst
Elite

@Anonymous User 

You have to appreciate that there are limits to the quality you can expect.

If you have NowTV, the maximum you'll get is 1080p and 5.1... (or 2.0 on AppleTV).  The picture quality is good, but at a limit of 'full HD' - NOT 4K - that is not what NowTV is there to provide.

Sky has this.  Therefore you have a choice.  NowTV.. or full-blown SkyQ.

Of course, if you have SkyQ then you'll probably be able to watch it in 4K and Atmos (or atoms as you like to say 🙂 )..  You of course pay more for the SkyQ privilege. 

But, again of course you'll be able to purchase it from iTunes later down the line and that too will be 4K and Atmos.

... its 4 hours long though.  4 hours.  good luck 🙂 

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Thanks should learn to spell check my response.

Tbh 1080p when sat 1.5m from my tv and 2.1 it’s doable. If I could get SkyQ just for a week I would 😂 but too many years of poor service and expense isn’t worth it.

I appreciate you say that’s not what NOWTV is there to provide but most over streaming provide that quality and lots are cheaper but hey I’ve debated this before.

Instead I will enjoy it (yes 4hrs and probably multiple watches and maybe a marathon with previous films before)

And then when it comes out for purchasing that’ll be great and can enjoy atmos and vision fully. I get it’s an ‘hbo Max’ original which is probably where sky got the rights versus Wonder Woman which hit iTunes but I guess was supposed to be theatre release not HBOMax so lots of different contractual obligations I guess.

TL:DR think this shows why NowTV and Sky have such a hold because they have these select few key things that even though we moan about the platform, quality, price they bring you back in...
nst
Elite

@Anonymous User 

For sure there's a long and complex argument of what NowTV provides, at what price, and at what quality.

Its all been said before many times but taken in isolation... its over priced and far behind the competitors such as Disney+, Netflix, and Amazon prime who all routinely offer 4K and Atmos content at no extra cost.

Sky wants SkyQ subs.... to those they cannot persuade to commit to that expense they provide NowTV - almost a poor mans sky and a 'pay as you go' contract free option. - however they deliberately make it worse for reasons you understand - therefore for the time being 1080p and 5.1 (which was only introduced late 2019 anyway) is the best we can hope for.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Exactly that summed up almost poetically.

I just think they make an error : I would be happy to pay more anyway because of the content for a better experience.

Content 100% used to be key, if you couldn’t watch the latest show or film that everyone else was talking about you we’re missing out but the amount of content out there is ridiculous and you can’t keep up so you now have to decide and I’ll be sad to miss certain shows or latest film releases I’d rather pay for a better experience with stuff that’s still as good or better.

Anyway this was one example I just couldn’t not. Unusual as anything else I’d either (find alternate means) or have been to cinema.

Thanks for the advice on what I can get 1080p will have to do (it’s not horrendous for sure).
nst
Elite

@Anonymous User 

Thats just the problem.

Sky do have unique and attractive content.  They know this... and this is why the customers are treated badly.

They know that they can get away with shoddy apps on various platforms as people have no choice but to use them if they want the Sky Cinema content etc.

What is a shame.. is that they should have more faith in NowTV.  So what if it brings customers away from SkyQ.. make it better, and you'll get more subscribers.  The future is streaming not bolting ugly dishes to the wall.  Thats so 1990's.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Exactly that : so set in the last and I totally get the unmissable exclusive content.

But Disney is getting there
Netflix is there
Prime (understatedly) but there
Apple TV (I think it’s exceptional but hasn’t got rapport yet)

When our free to air channels (UKTV, all4, it hub, Dplay) make better apps and support same quality of video it’s madness.

I just though oh I’ll look at using a browser that’s got to be better as universal and requires no effort to enable. 720p are you kidding me that’s the same as my iPhone wtf?

I think unless they adjust it’ll cause them problems later on when they lose content but it works for them now so no hope of changing.

More fool them I’ll get a week free cinema, week free boost and watch Snyder cut for free and then buy it when out and send money directly to HBO not even through sky!
Anonymous User
Not applicable
@Anonymous User

Couldn’t agree more, they seem to be so stuck in the past, it amazes me when the rest of the companies are throwing money at their streaming services to actually tempt people to sign up.

Just my point of view but if I was them I would create an app that was head and shoulders above the rest to make sure I had both sides of the market with sky q and Nowtv.

Comcast owns peacock and there app seems to be perfectly made for the Apple TV.

I don’t know maybe they don’t care but like you say when they start losing more and more content it maybe to late for them.
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Yeah : but they do alright so maybe they know what they’re doing? It’s not like they don’t have the resources.

I think the main issue is the U.K. is so far behind with tech because the masses don’t care. No one I know even cares about this kinda thing. So why would sky do it when others don’t. The apps that are what were comparing to are international/American focussed so it’s more natural to get that here.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

A rebrand done on the iPhone and iPad apps earlier, gives somewhat hope that NowTV haven’t completely forgotten about the existence... let’s see if the Apple TV follows suit with the new branding and hopefully adds new features