cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update Now TV app for apple TV

Will the Now TV app for Apple TV ever get an update?

The current version is complete rubbish and makes me regret ever getting a Now TV pass.

Unless there is an update my Now TV experience will be very short indeed.

2,755 REPLIES 2,755
nst
Elite

@Anonymous User 

If you are waiting for 4K and dolby's famous 'atoms' system you are going to have a long wait!  I don't see 4K and atmos ever being an option for the 'poor mans skyQ' .

The other features you mentioned were all promised to the beta testers but never delivered in the 'finished' app.   Not holding my breath that these will be included as we've waited 3 months already and no improvements yet.... they suggested at the time that 5.1 was a temporary omission but of course here we are with no changes.

@Anonymous User im assuming you know better than to expect these features 🙂 

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Lol, yes I shop elsewhere so to speak.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks yes long time Apple TV now TV/Bt Sport/Prime beta tester and fellow sufferer here.

just keeping the mods honest to ensure we keep focused what was promised

im hearing new Apple TV hardware in the pipeline end of March...perhaps that could spark some progress, I also hear finally subtitles may get added to the bbc apple TV app....but I’m going off topic

if only all beta programs could run as smoothly as BT Sports (not letting those guys off the hook they still owe us 4K HDR .....atmos and 4K only keep us sweet for a while 🤪

Anonymous User
Not applicable
@Anonymous User

Would be nice if they added the stuff they promised.

I keep hearing rumours that Apple are releasing an EPG for tvOS 15 and I keep wondering if that is when it will be updated, but then again I won’t hold my breath.

I just wish they did what they promised. I can’t understand why they haven’t and when back in there word. Surely they would want there app to be the best it can to drive sales.
nst
Elite

@Anonymous User 

Agreed... its just what they promised nothing more.  I dont have any high flying unrealistic expectations as what the app can or should do... this is NowTV and its pretty much the same across devices so it wont ever be better than the Amazon Firestick version... 

WITH the exception of things that the AppleTV platform can uniquely provide that others do not such as TV app integration etc.

So who do we complain to?  I give up.  Ive tried twitter and they just give you the party line that things are being looked at but of course this has been a good 3 months now and no sign of a change - again these are things that were promised at beta and it doesn't seem unreasonable to hold them to account and expect them to deliver on their promises.

@Anonymous User 

EPG is interesting.  I do fear, however that there will be a number of issues.  Firstly.. stuff like this needs the close cooperation with the content providers and other app developers.... seeing as an EPG doesn't really exist in iPlayer, all4 etc etc then I dont know where this data would come from.

Its far more likely that if this feature comes... it will be one of those annoying ones that will only be available in the USA for a long time - often we've had to wait a year for things to appear here and sometimes not at all.

Interestingly... Amazon are just starting to make inroads here.  If you look at the firestick they have a live tv section and an EPG however its only currently working with Channel 5's app.  This will be great only when the main apps i.e. iPlayer, All4, ITV hub and UKTV play decide to play nice and integrate with the system.

With regards to the ever rumoured new AppleTV hardware... bear in mind that this isn't going to be the second coming... 🙂 ......  TVOS will be TVOS... and will work across the board including the old HD and 4K boxes.  Its not as if the new box will magically be something more than 4K and Atmos capable...  what it will be, however, is faster, with a better processor... purely to support the increasing demands of Apple Arcade - as the existing hardware is more than capable of 4K streaming as it is.  I dont see this mythical new box (which is inevitable) will be the catalyst for anything non-game app related in the slightest.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Agreed on all of that I do think the new hardware should bring 4K HDR for BT sport and HLG on BBC IPlayer as the current chipset cant do it.
Anonymous User
Not applicable
@nst

I have no idea how we get through to them either.

I’ve tried messaging the MD directly at Nowtv through LinkedIn and have no response in several weeks now.

I have also tried the other ways to contact them also and had the same responses.

I’ve come to the conclusion that they just don’t care and it’s all falling on deaf ears due to the Amazon deal.

Shame we all wasted our time on the beta for broken promises.

@Anonymous User 

You need to have the Boost pass to get NOW TV sport channels @ 50fps via the “new” tv app

Anonymous User
Not applicable

So now I’m stuck.

news that the Snyder cut will be landing on sky and NowTV. 

thoughts on best way to watch this.... don’t want to lose my homepods but also if the quality is only going to be 720p on Apple TV app then I’d rather have best view and sacrifice quality.

what’s airplaying from my iPad going to give me?

Also looks like I’ll have to resubscribe to NowTV for a month. So much is my detest of them that I think I might rather VPN it tbh...

nst
Elite

@Anonymous User 

A depressingly easy question to answer.

Firstly thanks for the heads up - I wanted to see the Snyder Cut and didn't know it was headed to NowTV.

So, the depressing part.. for the AppleTV app's thread... DONT use the AppleTV for this.

Best quality you can hope for on NowTV as im sure you know is 1080p and a 5.1 soundtrack.  Sadly the AppleTV app is incapable of this (don't get me started).

Firstly you'll need a Boost Pass - its not expensive but for free get a 1 weeks free trial and time it correctly for when you need it.

Secondly... I tell a lie.. if you don't have a 5.1 sound system, then the AppleTV app is 1080p with boost... but only a 2.0 stereo soundtrack.  That might be enough for you.

If, however, you do have a 5.1 system then you need to watch NowTV on another platform - one that fully supports Boost.  I can recommend the Amazon Firestick or PS5/4 or Xbox or a TV built in app.  Best to research what device supports what.