cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update Now TV app for apple TV

Will the Now TV app for Apple TV ever get an update?

The current version is complete rubbish and makes me regret ever getting a Now TV pass.

Unless there is an update my Now TV experience will be very short indeed.

2,755 REPLIES 2,755
nst
Elite

@Ab76 

Probably an oversight... they are well known for this ham fisted approach.  They have finally de-tagged all their content through the AppleTV app and now its "STEREO" instead of "5.1" which it was for a long time after the app launched.

I know others disagree, but they may as well just drop Boost support altogether if they can't or wont implement the full feature set.

Ive always thought that offering 1080p without 5.1 is a weird omission.. but please bear in mind im looking at this from a movies perspective and not live sports in which context im sure this is acceptable.

Meanwhile ive all but abandoned the long awaited app, and grudgingly have moved over to the Firestick version which mysteriously manages to support everything in a reasonably polished and useable app.

I long for the amazon exclusivity clause to be done (yes im still of that theory that amazons deal includes forcing people onto their hardware) - and then.. if there are any customers still using the AppleTV app.. they might make it better or even just useable.

Ive found lately that if my posts are overtly critical of NowTV they tend to disappear... so let see if this one lasts more than a few hours 🙂 

nst
Elite

The forum is dying a death lately!...

Anyone else noticed that logging in here to reply to posts is now torturous and it kicks you back to the NowTV main page and you have to find your way back to the forum?  Maybe its just me.

Anyway... it struck me that its been almost 3 months since the app was updated.  1/4 of a year.  

Despite the promises made pre-delivery (full boost and TV app integration), and the excuses made after,  its clear that nothing has changed and nothing will change in a reasonable amount of time.

Given the long beta trial, and the constant reports by the testers.. they knew that 5.1 wasn't happening and they had long enough to fix it and even longer now still.

It does seem that we should keep up pressure on them to find out whats going on.  Id encourage anyone who still cares (and I appreciate that number might well be diminishing) to keep on to NowTV via Twitter etc to let them know we haven't forgotten what they promised us and that we still want it sorted.

A bit fruitless I know.. but I suspect that their stats will show that X number of people downloaded it.. and Y number of people are now actively using it (Y being many less than X) and therefore its not worth their while giving it much attention.

Im hoping that all the Xs are potential users of the app and its only that its so unusable for some that Y is not higher.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
@nst

I sent a direct message via LinkedIn to the MD of Nowtv asking the questions of why it was delivered as promised after months of testing and the testers giving there time for free with out any offers of discounts etc for giving there time and then basically being given an app that may look pretty but isn’t what was promised.

I’ve had no reply or anything and it’s been weeks now.

It’s just rudeness on there behalf.

I must admit with things like Starz being released on the Disney app that has full Apple intergration etc I’m finding it very hard to actually use the now tv app as it’s just painful and the sound quality is awful even through my HomePod setup.

My mindset is shifting now I’ve cancelled my sports pass and opt for BT sport and Amazon prime for sports now and when the offers finish on movies and entertainment I will probably cancel those unless they offer some really big discounts again.

My only wish for the Apple TV now is that Netflix would play nice with Apple intergration and I would honestly be happy with it and probably not even use Nowtv at all, but the chances of that happening are non existent I think.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm beginning to agree with others that if the user base of Apple TV is so low, its just not worth their effort! I would love to know user  numbers.

Maybe this also explains the Disney+ app glitch when you pause it, when the screen saver kicks it, it unpauses what you're watching. Pretty big bug, been happening for months. 

nst
Elite

well, I tweeted NowTV help (and I would urge others to do so if possible)..

the reply was:

thanks for getting in touch. We're hoping to have an update on when this feature will be implemented soon, we'll be in touch once we know anything further. Our apologies for any inconvenience.

In other words the same holding response that we got in December.

Cant hurt to keep asking so they know we still want it fixed.

Hooba
Scholar 3

The most disappointing aspect of no 5.1 was that I was intending to scrap my 5.1 system and go all in on a pair of HomePods. But outside of Sports, there's really not much I watch on NowTV.

ZeroZeroZero was pretty good - but no doubt that'll be available on Prime or iTunes in due course. Think the only movie I've watched recently on Sky was Birds of Prey. Which was pretty good, but no doubt will turn up as an iTunes rental in due course (probably 4K HDR ATMOS, for 4 quid).

So - I keep saying it, but suspect it really is time to bin-off Movies and entertainment.  

Still quite a big step to take though - going all in on AppleTV and a pair of HomePods. But I stream so much these days on Amazon, Netflix, Disney, AppleTV+. And I've a pretty big (and growing) collection of iTunes movies. It's probably time to make the jump and completely cut the cord. SkySports in 2.0 will be 'interesting' though, even through a pair of HomePods. But how bad can it be? 

Anonymous User
Not applicable
@Hooba

I went all in with Apple with the homepods etc and I have to say I’m really impressed with the setup.

I’m the same as you also in the fact that I only really watched sky sports but I have just cancelled my pass as I prefer to watch it in BT sport which I find the experience far better and also on Amazon prime when they have the games on.

I really do find a lot of people I speak to are growing annoyed with sky and are looking to cancel as they get what they need from the other streaming apps.

Just a shame that sky has the rights to most of the premier league football games.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
I’m still using the old app as it supports features that the new NOW TV app
doesn’t. I’m hoping that NOW TV will recognise that someone is still using
their old app.

There is a message on the old app saying that there is a new app available
but until that supports voice search and support native support for the
Apple remote i.e. being able to smoothly scroll forward and skip backwards
10 seconds of time I will continue to use the old app. I’m only back for a
few weeks anyway to see the bonus episodes of The Walking Dead. For series
11 of The Walking Dead I will be obtaining it by other means.

It’s also absolutely disgusting that in 2021 it still does not have any
subtitles.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Good to see sport on demand now available on the now TV Apple TV app.....now if we could just have 5.1, Apple TV app intergration, SIRI intergration, 4K and Dolby atoms I’d be a happy chap 👍 

plus anyone know when all the sport’s channels will go 50FPS the jerky ticker at the bottom on sky sport’s news winds me up!

Anonymous User
Not applicable
And a working continue watching, a rating system, viewing suggestions, a complete design layout change.