cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update Now TV app for apple TV

Will the Now TV app for Apple TV ever get an update?

The current version is complete rubbish and makes me regret ever getting a Now TV pass.

Unless there is an update my Now TV experience will be very short indeed.

2,755 REPLIES 2,755
AlexB83
Scholar 2

I still think Now tv will be around for a good while yet purely because of sky sports, if they lost football it would collapse straight away but I can't see this happening for a considerable time. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable
I wish they did loose football to someone else, amazon actually do a good job with it in my opinion and the BT sport app is far better than the Nowtv one.

It might be just me but I can’t shake the feeling that Apple are planning something big with tv etc, they hired the man from
Amazon who handled there sports section and who brought premier league football to Amazon and if the rumours are true there planning a whole redesign for TVos for TVOS 15 with an EPG etc.

I’m probably wrong and just like Apple products and pinning my hopes to it, but we can all dream
AlexB83
Scholar 2

I think in the past apple have said they are unlikely to go for sports at least in the near future. I think they try and keep deals so they can show all their content in all areas. Where as sports rights are very messy so I really can't see this happening anytime soon if at all. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Maybe but they tout sport high on promo stuff especially in America and I was just in the settings on iPad and sports has its own notifications section which I’ve not seen before (around scores being displayed) maybe.

tbh I don’t do ‘soccer’ and 90% of my other sports (nfl, cricket, cycling) are on other services and considering American public views on soccer this could mean Apple TV to but yes NowTV will be around for a while because of the premiums UK pay for ‘soccer’

i think the fact that ‘3rd class’ networks like Dplay, uktvplay, quest can all manage Apple TV apps and integration better than NowTV can this speaks volumes of intention moving forward.

NB. im aware it’s football but just to distinguish considering nfl is making a splash up.

AlexB83
Scholar 2

Sky still have significant sports rights for a number of sports for long term contracts, premier league until end of 2022, English home cricket until 2024, F1 2024. Although they are being more selective with bidding for new or renewing contracts as we can see with recent cricket rights where they gave up rights for New Zealand and West indies and didn't even bid for the India series. 

I certainly expect Amazon to bid for more sports, they do a good job with their coverage and I haven't had a problem with their streams but I know a lot of people have so this will need to improve. BT I think are looking for more value like adding the west Indies cricket which is on at perfect time for UK audience.

I'd love to Apple to get involved as I think they would do a great job but can't see it for a while and or outside of America where they like to test things out first

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@AlexB83 

Sky still pick up the rights for almost every CBS, HBO, ABC/Fox (now Disney) and HBO shows.

• CBS launches Paramount+ here which is likely 
  • Disney when will they decide to keep ALL their shows for Disney+ again very likely
  • And finally when HBO finally launches HBO Max again very likely although not till 2024  

The only thing left for Sky/Now TV will be all NBC shows and Comcast owned products. So I would guess is that over time Sky will start airing NBC shows around the same time as the US for once instead of waiting 4+ weeks. 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Ab76
Scholar

I’ve just checked NowTV’s Boost page to see whether Dolby 5.1 has been added to Apple TV and found that they now say that Boost isn’t available at all for Apple TV (previously they said it was, but without 5.1) - see https://www.nowtv.com/boost-existing.

If that’s correct, NowTV’s going backwards.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Now TV claim boost only works on Roku express and sticks. That’s clearly
not true because I have an older Roku 3 box and boost works on that fully
because I have successfully used boost out on it.
AlexB83
Scholar 2

The Apple TV app is definitely 1080p and 50fps on the sports channels. Maybe they are not advertising it as such until it has 5.1 

AlexB83
Scholar 2