cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Re: Update Now TV app for apple TV

@Techuser_73

I’ve just sent her a message on LinkedIn, we will see if I get a reply, I can only urge others to do the same.
0 Thanks
Techuser_73
Scholar 3

Thanks Dean let’s see if you get a reply. 

0 Thanks

What’s actually behind Sky’s apparent “falling out of love” with Roku after so many years and “rushing into the arms of” Amazon? Presumably something to do with Sky being assimilated into Comcast?

Can we expect to see a cheaper NOW TV branded Firestick (a NOWStick?) running a cut-down version of the OS to ensure only vetted apps can be installed?

And what direction will they go in a few years time when they give Amazon the boot?

0 Thanks
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@dr_necessitor 

Personally speaking I just can’t see any more devices launched and created by Now TV.

Its time that Now TV focus purely on the app itself than waste money on getting new devices created. 

Speaking of Comcast, which launched Peacock TV in the US last year using the same technology as Now TV and they haven’t bothered with a “Peacock TV device”. All they’ve done is launched the app across multiple apps. 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

But the peacock app is made for TVOS it looks really good on YouTube videos etc, why they can’t just use that and change the logo I will never know, proves they can do it though if they wanted to.
0 Thanks
MrZippy
Expert 2

Sky made a huge investment in Roku, hence the Roku devices. Suspect this has come to an end, doubt we’d see a FireTV rebadged as Amazon generally sells at a loss as they make their money on content.

I can’t see why everyone is so obsessed to give NowTV money for an inferior service. Every other catchup / streaming service is on Apple TV now, they are all better apps than NowTV.

Maybe it’s because I won’t compromise just to watch one service, I don’t like sport, so Netflix and the other free apps give me so much content that I don’t need Sky stuff.

Shame as suspect I am missing some great shows. But even continue watching doesn’t work properly on TvOS, so they may as well have stuck with the old app!
Enapace
Expert 2

@MrZippy 

Sky used own a Stake in ROKU they have since sold

@Enapace 

Thanks, I knew they had invested in Roku some years ago - but didn’t know that they had now “uninvested” (so I suppose declining interest in supporting Roku is an obvious consequence of that)

0 Thanks

@MrZippy 
speaking for myself, my “support” of NOW TV is purely to access Sky content but because our current property is not allowed to have a Sky dish installed. It also happens to be the case that we adopted streaming as a preference some years ago anyway

0 Thanks
Andrew_Debbie
Mentor

We are so disappointed by the updated  NowTV app.   AppleTV 4k with latest version of OS. 

Outright bugs:

Often launch to black screen.  Only workaround is rebooting the ATV. 

Poor response to trackpad.  Cursor gets stuck or jumps two or three selections.  Makes the app frustrating to use. 

Can´t find shows. (missing content)

Subtitles stick on.  Work around is cycling the button on-off several times. 

Lack of key Features:

Still  1080p and that only if we pay extra for it. 

Audio

No AppleTV app integration.  (Amazon and BBC iPlayer have it !!)

No voice recognition support.   Key ATV features like ¨What did she just say¨ do not work.  

UI and usablity issues. 

UI does not follow Apple design guidelines. Does not work like other ATV apps.  

Can not scrub or jump in the time line. 

Content poorly organsied.  It is difficult do find anything by browesing. 

Search is awful. 

Hard to get rid of the hidden controls once they pop up.  

Overall the app is frustrating to use. 

I am sooo close to canceling NowTV over this.   

0 Thanks