cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update Now TV app for apple TV

Will the Now TV app for Apple TV ever get an update?

The current version is complete rubbish and makes me regret ever getting a Now TV pass.

Unless there is an update my Now TV experience will be very short indeed.

2,755 REPLIES 2,755
Anonymous User
Not applicable
@Anonymous User

Sadly i completely agree with you.

I think things are going to get worse for nowtv especially as disney is about to release starz on there app.

If they dont step it up i feel it will be a lost platform and they will fall further down the ranks with people choosing to pay for another service. I honestly feel all they have to offer is sports and being an avid football fan i have even chose to cancel my sky sports subscription through them as other apps like BT Sports offer a better viewing experience in my opinion.

Why they just cant do what they promised i will never know, but surely with apple releasing an app design kit template for TVOS, isnt that   half the job done for them?
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User 

No idea what to think to be honest. 

One thing I will say is the Firestick 4K doesn't seem to pull down as good off a WiFi Signal as my Apple TV 4K box. Just brought the ethernet adapter for it though and now that problem is solved and got rid of the buffering issues but that's not really a knock against the device more my WiFi Set up but least amazon provide a solution.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
@Anonymous User

With such great content out there from other suppliers i think i will be using it less and less.

I have to admit we have even started watching more of the apple tv+ stuff which i have to say isnt bad at all and the sound and picture is obviously great being apple lol
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User 

I am looking forward to watching Castle on Disney+ later this month. 

I must admit haven't watched anything on Apple TV+ to be honest I think the Firestick 4K might become my primary streaming device which i never thought it would but has all the apps i could want including the Apple TV app.

Plus it does 4K HDR BT Sport which the Apple TV can't

Anonymous User
Not applicable
I completely agree and have cancelled all my NowTV subscriptions in favour of BtSport, Disney+, Netflix and even Britbox.
Anonymous User
Not applicable
@Anonymous User

It’s just a shame the only app for live tv is tv player and that isn’t great at all, if we could get a good one for that it would be brilliant.
Anonymous User
Not applicable
I’m returning to NOW TV at the end of February for the bonus Walking Dead
episodes, Then I intend leave and return just for season 11 and 12 of the
Walking Dead.

For the above I will be using the old app because it fully supports the
Apple remote, voice search and window in window feature. I’m still livid
that they won’t add subtitles to many popular shows including The Walking
Dead.

After that any compelling HBO content (usually found on Sky Atlantic) will
be obtained by other means. I’ve just reached the end of the limit with
them.
nst
Elite

@Anonymous User 

What you've just said perfectly sums up why I think this was done on purpose.

"why would amazon strike a deal with NowTV to make their app better than the AppleTV's?"

.... obviously as it encourages people to use their hardware... purchase their hardware, and then get entrenched into their ecosystem.

Whatever deal might have been made... its clear that Amazon's firestick app is currently technically superior to Apple's and there's no reason this should have been the case.  Missing features like 5.1 are things that could have been included but incredulously were not.. making the Amazon app a far more compelling option.

Even for those like you, @Anonymous User and me... where I now use my fire stick more than ever before... this is a win for Amazon and would in itself explain why there exists this bizarre and unexplainable disparity in features/quality/user experience.

Will the AppleTV app ever "be allowed" to catch up with firestick?  Yes of course.. but only after a pre-determined amount of time to allow Amazon to entice as many AppleTV users as possible over to their hardware.

Personally, im itching to get back to using the AppleTV as the TV app is something that, although NowTV promised to support but still dont..., is still the unbeatable differentiator and is probably why the others are concerned at the competition and have to resort to underhanded deals to gain more users.

... just a thought!

Duncaw67
Scholar 3

Hi @nst 

It's amazing how the tv stick is now no longer available on the Now tv website,just before the announcement of Amazon coming aboard,when you go into your account and check your passes or want to buy it says go to Nowtv/Amazon to purchase,strange or what, not!!!!!

Anonymous User
Not applicable
@Duncaw67

I heard that Nowtv have stopped using Roku for the devices, if that’s true maybe Nowtv decided to partner with Amazon for the go to device as it’s more affordable than Apple TV. Such a shame as they could of partnered with Apple like EE Tv did and had the best experience.

Just my thoughts though