cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update Now TV app for apple TV

Will the Now TV app for Apple TV ever get an update?

The current version is complete rubbish and makes me regret ever getting a Now TV pass.

Unless there is an update my Now TV experience will be very short indeed.

2,755 REPLIES 2,755
Anonymous User
Not applicable
@Anonymous User

https://macdailynews.com/2021/01/21/apple-patent-reveals-work-on-future-live-tv-viewing-features-in-apple-tv/

Dont suppose you’ve got anymore information or links you can send me regarding hdhomerun.

I completely agree with you regards to the Nowtv packages they should merge the two, I just feel with Nowtv that even though the total cost for all the packages is cheaper than sky q it’s still a lot for a streaming subscription etc

@Anonymous User 

For all things HDHomeRun, have a look at silicondust.com

I’ve had one of their devices for a couple of years now. Mainly use it as a backup for Freeview stuff, which we normally watch via streaming. Bought a Plex Lifetime on offer a while back so can use Plex DVR to schedule recording and Plex app for playback. SiliconDust also have a PVR (paid subscription) or there’s the Channels app. 

Tivo was fab back in the day - had two back in 2000. Hackable & moddable - brilliant! Ahead of it’s time back then, VHS was king, Sky+ was in it’s infancy. But the whole PVR/DVR concept wasn’t easy to grasp back then, people didn’t “get it”! Eventually “original” Tivo lifetime support ended (around 2009/2010?) and we got Sky+ for a while. But then along came iPlayer etc and streaming....

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ive been fairly happy with Now TV since the update but I went downstairs yesterday to show my son Liverpools second goal yesterday on a 4k firestick and the picture quality on sky sports looked fantastic compared to my 4k apple tv

Anonymous User
Not applicable

The nowtv app is so bad compared to the 4k Amazon, I’m experiencing slow user interface, continue watching is not updated. Truly shocking how this app can be so different on separate devices. It really does beggar belief. I want to use the Apple version but I just simply can’t. We’ve had this discussion before.

nst
Elite

@Anonymous User 

Totally agree as normal.

Shocking how an app that was in beta for 8 months with goodness knows how much feedback... and then they release the version in the state that it is...

and to rub salt into the wounds one week later the Firestick version appears out of thin air and completely out performs the AppleTV one in every sense.

I too cannot use the AppleTV app - a real shame - i want to, but I cannot.

Also a shame that despite our vocal criticism, and their placating comments - they have made no updates to the app in the last2 months since its been released - so the promised 5.1 audio support and AppleTV TV app integration seem to be something they have little intention of fixing.

Meanwhile, sadly, the Firestick app is now my app of choice and actually works very well.

rlpsmith
Mentor

Can’t see any obvious changes but again the app on Apple TV has been updated at the same time the iOS app has for iPhone. Least something is happening though! 🤞🏻for some more significant updates sooner rather than later

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Yes it needs a rewrite, again!

STV launched recently and that’s a native UI and super responsive. Then there is the Rolls Royce, Disney+ which expands the native UI to make it even better and the only thing it’s missing is top shelf.

Then there is the Lada, NowTV, maybe they should add a sunroof to add some extra value!
Anonymous User
Not applicable
I wouldn’t hold your breath for any updates with the things they missed out of the official release. I emailed the trials manager and got a response saying that even though the stuff was mentioned and promised other things were prioritised for the release. So basically I took that as a no we’re not getting them.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User 

I've totally given up believing they will fix the AppleTV app I gave them basically a year of dithering about and have totally given up which I am sad about.

nst
Elite

@Anonymous User 

Sadly I completely agree.

Despite the ridiculous situation of the long drawn out beta testing... the app they delivered was and still is awful.

What I have come to believe now is that it wont be addressed for a long time.  I still think that the Firestick one is demonstrably superior on purpose.

When it launched, they had an avalanche of queries and feedback and they did imply that missing features such as 5.1 audio were being imminently addressed...  however I feel that if this were true then we would have had a fix by now.  We aren't talking shiny new features that we asked for.. we are asking for things that should have been working from the outset that weren't.

Some 2 months on I have given up on using the app.  Although others disagree and have no use for the 5.1 aspect of the boost pass.. I certainly do and until the app works correctly I can't use it.

Of course it would be nice for the app to get a bit more polish, and work better with the AppleTV remote, as well as TV app integration and top row dock functionality.  All these things were fed back many times from the beta testers but It now seems there is little intent from NowTV to make the app everything it should be.

I will keep my eye on it.. as I dont particularly want to be using the Firestick as much as I am - but my hopes of a rapid fix are long gone and I think we are here for the long haul now.