cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update Now TV app for apple TV

Will the Now TV app for Apple TV ever get an update?

The current version is complete rubbish and makes me regret ever getting a Now TV pass.

Unless there is an update my Now TV experience will be very short indeed.

2,755 REPLIES 2,755
nst
Elite

@Hooba 

So, in short - yes you are agreeing with me.

Apple hasn't and wont ever pay for that.

But clearly... someone else has.. and someone else has a great new app that technically surpasses the AppleTV one which, in itself, was released without a number of promised functions that would have made it better than the Firesticks.

Two apps released at the same time... both platforms equally as technically capable (4K, HD, Atmos, 5.1) yet one platform clearly leapfrogs the other due to a stark disparity in app functionality.

mmmmmmmm. 

AlexB83
Scholar 2

Just a point about the Amazon app is that it's not even available on all the JVC fire TV's yet and I'm not sure Amazon make much money if any from selling their sticks and so forth especially as they have sales so often so I don't think it's of that much benefit to them to hinder other platforms. I think they just want their services to be available in as many places as possible. Their money comes from selling the services not the devices as such 

nst
Elite

@AlexB83 

Not really..  Thats why they price the hardware so cheaply.  Its definitely a loss leader... but they do that to get the fire stick and fire TV etc etc in as many homes as possible.

As soon as you see the FireStick interface its full of ads, cross promotions, rental opportunities for Amazon's movie and TV services, and links to view and subscribe to other amazon channels..

So of course... its nothing to do with the unit profit per stick... its everything to do with getting people using it and then the opportunities that presents now and in the future for Amazon to take your money.

Therefore its highly understandable how Amazon would have a huge vested interest in trying to encourage as many NowTV customers as possible to use their hardware... and what better way to do so than to turn up as the knight in shining armour 1 week after the highly disappointing release of the AppleTV app with their own superior version...

AlexB83
Scholar 2

I think there is too much of a conspiracy theory about this. After all why would they release any sort of an update for Apple TV in December. I mean customers have been waiting a number of years for one so what would have been the problem in delaying anything for another year. Even if all the features aren't there it would at least make people think twice about getting a fire stick as there is more hope that more features are added 

Hooba
Scholar 3

@nst if the theory is that 5.1 was about to be dropped on the AppleTv app, but Amazon steamed in at the last minute and gave NowTv a bung to drop it, I’m not buying it. 

Outside of 2-3 people on the BETA who were told 5.1 was coming, no promises were made. And the BETA went of seemingly forever and achieved almost nothing. Stuff (non technical) going on behind the scenes for months. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Also there is a lack of subtitles for quite a few big shows like the
walking dead so they’re breaking the disability act regarding subtitles
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I’m done with Now TV. Not buying their device even I have a perfectly fine Apple TV 4K. 

Their new app is somehow worse than the old. 
All it added was a pretty face - everything else is counterintuitive. 

I’m done. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Yep!
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Anybody see that Apple filed a patent for live tv etc, maybe this is why Nowtv/ sky / Comcast have done this, it would ruin there sky q experience when it states that you could actually record
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User 

I doubt that is the reason as doubt NowTV would know about it when they were developing the app and it would whenever it does come require the app to op into it.