cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update Now TV app for apple TV

Will the Now TV app for Apple TV ever get an update?

The current version is complete rubbish and makes me regret ever getting a Now TV pass.

Unless there is an update my Now TV experience will be very short indeed.

2,755 REPLIES 2,755
AlexB83
Scholar 2

Do you think that might be a reason for Now TV not supporting the Apple TV app as a large part of their business is live TV especially sports so it makes it a lot less worthwhile them adding the Apple TV if for a lot things you are just going to have to look on the app anyway. 

nst
Elite

anyone else notice how another thread mysteriously disappeared in the last 12 hours?

Granted, it was again talking about the new AppleTV app and its shortcomings... had a few replies but now has vanished.

I would have thought at most a thread would be locked, or merged with another - not completely deleted.

... curious.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
They’ve deleted comments here before I believe. Probably not the best place to negatively discuss NowTV.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I've always wondered if it's more to do with the strictness of the Apple TV ecosystem with regards to user data and info, perhaps the ability to scan other devices on the network or other such stuff. I would guess an app on Amazon Firestick would be allowed to access a lot of details about the user that just isn't available on AppleTV, certainly in comparison to the NowTV box where they'll be able to hoover up significantly more details about viewing habbits, searching, etc across all the roku apps.

For me I can only really think it's something related to that as there's definitely a lack of love thrown the way of the ATV app - That and the fact that Apple + Comcast might have some historical friction that we don't know about or disagreement as far as rights issues / costs might be concerned.

I waited a long time for this new app, like most others in this thread, for me as I use it only for sport it's not so bad a release, I'm happy enough with the Boost having the better picture quality and the extra stream and don't really miss 5.1 in football for example. I am surprised how clunky the app is when using the Apple remote given the time it took to release the app from beta and the thing I'm most disappointed with is the inability to pause or scrub live events like you can on the NowTV boxes (although that took a while to arrive!).

However, the access to the red button content (extra matches etc) and the ease of access for a lot of the On Demand sports content is a win for me.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

One thing i am curious about is why neither the Apple TV or the Firestick Apps support voice searching is this hard to implement into apps as it seems most other apps have this and it is far faster to do then manually typing in something.

nst
Elite

@Anonymous User 

I think the problems are numerous:

1.  Clunky interface isn't really Apple's fault - personally I find their scrubbing mechanism to be the best - and apps on the platform that correctly implement it are good - I mean those where you get a thumbnail.   Some don't - some do.  However NowTV have refused to and for the sake of app parity across devices we have this terrible mechanism that doesn't work well in context.

2.  The platform as a whole is neglected.  Not only did we have a very old app which itself was a port from the old version - but now after a great deal of effort and customer beta testing we get this....

No full boost support, and no explanation... along with the slap in the face of the Firestick app that appears from nowhere... with no customers time being wasted on at beta test... and its functionally superior to the AppleTV one.

3.  Communication.  

Would it really be so hard for NowTV to release a statement on the AppleTV app - most importantly explaining why it was necessary to leave out 5.1 on the boost support.  This is something that's so hard to comprehend.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update received this morning 6.3.7 minor bug fixes in this version. Hopefully more to come. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hopefully it could do with it
Anonymous User
Not applicable
What’s that, they’ve added voice search, native fast forward, top shelf integration and 5.1.

No I didn’t think so.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sarcasm aside, am I imagining it or is the navigation more responsive and smooth now?