cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update Now TV app for apple TV

Will the Now TV app for Apple TV ever get an update?

The current version is complete rubbish and makes me regret ever getting a Now TV pass.

Unless there is an update my Now TV experience will be very short indeed.

2,755 REPLIES 2,755
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I’m using the firetv stick because the app for appletv is shocking. Also I now revise to pay for standard 1080p picture when that should be the norm. Your entitled to do what you like regarding boost but if many other people cancelled they would scrap the £3.00. I only got it because I thought we were getting a great app but that was a pack of lies. The ups align of the Apple TV would have done the job. And I already have the BT sport app on Apple TV.

AlexB83
Scholar 2

1080p will not be standard on Now TV until at least it's standard on sky and boost is much better value compared to the cost for it similar on sky. Maybe it's more worthwhile everyone having boost because if nobody subscribes to the service without it then it's pointless them offering it without hd but either way the price would just get incorporated into the other pass prices. But while there are people who are willing to pay for the very basic in SD or still have a 720p tv they can argue they would not benefit from HD as standard so why should they contribute 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

1080p is standard broadcasts if sky are not willing to do that on nowtv that’s a shame. All the rest do bbciplayer Netflix Amazon. I pay my license fee every year. I mentioned this the other day where they can introduce an addon if people wanted 5.1 sound or 50fps. For me if this was a 4k option I would happily subscribe but they don’t. They make enough money from there premium products so don’t try to justify there on there knees. People have the option to vote with there wallet and many people on here wasted 8 months on a beta trial only for it to be released on firetv devices and the appletv gets an inferior app. The chances of this app getting regular updates is very slim compared to the firetv device. Of course you will get the line that 5.1 will get released in a future update but will it. They are misleading people by saying it has 5.1 sound not on the Apple TV. If a guy subscribes to boost and has an Apple TV then he finds there is no 5.1 who is at fault after all he’s just going by what he’s read. Now who is at fault. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable
1080p isn’t standard on Netflix, it costs more, as does it in Sky TV. Most other streaming services are 1080p minimum, but not all.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

BBC iPlayer only delivers 720p as standard, the same as NowTV without Boost. When 4K stuff is available, it’s only in stereo. The BBC needs to be offering at least 1080p and 5.1 audio (where available) to match the quality of its linear HD broadcasts.

I believe that if the BBC upped its game then the likes of the other UK streaming services would eventually follow suit. At present, ITV, All4 and Britbox only offer 720p stereo streams. I have no idea about My5. All are mired in the last century when it comes to matching current broadcasting and paid for streaming services.

Sky doesn’t want to do much with NowTV for fear of gouging its satellite user base, which is odd in some respects. Sure, offering 4K on NowTV would have some impact, but as streaming is the norm for many of us, overall I think that their customer base would rise. Academic, of course. It won’t happen, neither will any further improvements to the NowTV app. on Apple kit. For me, for those few series that I watched on NowTV, I’ll try and source them from elsewhere in future. I’m almost certainly guaranteed better picture and audio quality, and I won’t have to use the braindead NowTV software.

Sky, of course, has a bigger problem in some respects. It relies on a lot of US material. That’s currently in short supply, given the pandemic, and with companies now offering their own streaming apps., I’m beginning to wonder how Sky will manage to keep its subscribers, at least those who have no interest in sport.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

All I’m saying in this day and age it’s not hard for sky to offer 1080p online. Of course if people want to pay extra for boost that’s there choice, i choose not to now as long as I have a decent picture then that’s all I’m bothered about. 

Ab76
Scholar

For anyone who hasn’t notice, NowTV are now telling customers (on this page https://help.nowtv.com/article/how-to-adjust-audio-settings ) that it’s “Good to know” that Dolby 5.1 isn’t supported on Apple TVs. Have they no shame?

nst
Elite

@Ab76 

.. and disgusting and indefensible.

On a platform that is more than overqualified to deliver a paltry 5.1 soundtrack - NowTV seem technically incompetent to not deliver sound in the same was as literally all the other streaming services do on the platform (and of course some deliver 4K and Atmos)

Im still convinced it isnt, and cannot be a technical issue.  Why.  Impossible to accept this can be the case.  Its more related to the miraculously appearing Firestick app (seemingly no beta required for that one) and allowing it to be technically superior... at least for a pre-agreed specified period of time.

Im not a tinfoil hat wearing conspiracy theorist... but let me ask you this:

How many Boost subscribing AppleTV owners, who have been ever so patiently waiting for a new app for years.. and who also are "lucky" enough to own a Firestick... have now completely abandoned the AppleTV app in favour of the firestick.

This is just the outcome they intended with their new deal with Amazon.

And what a colossal waste of time and effort of both the NowTV developers and all those involved in the sham of a beta test to release an app in this state - as a large proportion of the available potential users will still not be able to use it.

AlexB83
Scholar 2

One thing I would say is I can see why there was no beta for Amazon that's because it's a new service so they couldnt exactly have a public test before the deal with Amazon was announced

nst
Elite

@AlexB83 

Sure they could.  There was nothing stopping them.  And loads of other software gets beta trials on new platforms.

The reason they didn't beta test it is because of the secrecy of the deal with Amazon.

And it begs the question... something that bugs me having participated... is what value did the beta testers add to the new AppleTV app when they basically released whatever it was they wanted and ignored the vast majority of the feedback anyway.

They clearly didn't need to beta test the firestick version... and that app was released very polished.  They did waste our time beta test the AppleTV version and yet look at it compared to firestick!