cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update Now TV app for apple TV

Will the Now TV app for Apple TV ever get an update?

The current version is complete rubbish and makes me regret ever getting a Now TV pass.

Unless there is an update my Now TV experience will be very short indeed.

2,755 REPLIES 2,755

@Anonymous User To see some live stats about picture etc from the ATV, you need to turn on the ATV’s Developer options (but to do that requires a Mac computer, with XCode installed & running, on the same network). I used this during the beta trial to see that I was getting 1080p and 50fps (as per my Boost pass) even though it was not (and still isn’t) “officially” supported on the ATV due to the lack of 5.1 sound provision.

nst
Elite

So... happy new year to all here.

Lets hope 2021 brings changes to the AppleTV app!

Im not holding my breath.. and many of the problems and promised functionality which didn't appear in version 1 are unfathomable in their omission...

but lets hope this new app receives some attention soon and is not left to fester in its current state.

Time will tell. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Nothing will change. That's it. Sky is now friends with Amazon. It's clear that Sky never had any real intention of doing anything with the NowTV app. on ATV 4K kit. If you can find the email address of someone senior at Sky and complain, it might get flagged, but in reality, that's it. Buy an Amazon Firestick if you want full fat NowTV, because you're not going to get it on ATV kit.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Or don’t pay them any money, I refuse to pay money for such a poor app. Not that will make a difference either. Oh well their loss, my saving 🙂
Hooba
Scholar 3

Agree, unlikely anything will change.

If people are expecting e.g. Sky Movies, 5.1, 50FPS, contract free, on a device that's superior to SkyQ, for approx £15 a month, then: a) that might not be realistic; and/or b) it might be a very long wait. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Yes, think pigs may be flying first.

But as Sky looses contracts they will loose customers.
Hooba
Scholar 3

@Anonymous User 

For me its Premier League footy and the F1 that keeps me tied in. Without those I'd have broken all ties with Sky / NowTV years ago. There's very little that's exclusive to Sky these days. Happy to buy or rent movies off iTunes / Amazon (iTunes in particular is very often 4K HDR).

AppleTv/Netflix/Amazon/iTunes cover all my box set needs too.

But when I'm paying £45 for all the NowTV / Sky sports channels, with BT Sport thrown in, for £45, I keep paying an extra £15 a month to land both the Sky Movie and Ents packages too.

Ab76
Scholar

I have a subscription to Dan Snow’s History Hit TV. The whole thing is run on a tight budget and I pay per year just a bit more than I pay NowTV each month.

History Hit has an Apple TV app and guess what? Well, they’ve only got voice search and app that responds properly to the remote control. If History Hit can get these things right, how on earth can’t NowTV? 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Because your paying a lot less for a service. As others have said the firetv app for nowtv is head and shoulders better than the apple one. And many are now using the Amazon app including me. I dont like doing it but what other choice do we have. I've cancelled my boost pass.

AlexB83
Scholar 2

@Anonymous User 

Why would you cancel the boost pass if you are now using a fire stick, that literally makes no sense.

I use Apple TV on my second tv and fire stick on main to replace LG app (due to 50fps and also because it now has at BT sport app) I'm happy to pay for boost and think it's still good value and I'd take 1080p and 50fps over the old Apple TV app any day.